In The Wrong Hands GB. Close... but no cigar!

TonyOD

Apologies if any of these have been asked already:

Would continued post-war production of German aircraft in liberated countries count? For example, the Avia C-2 (formerly Arado 96) in Czechoslovakia, Ditto for the Fi 156 in both Czechoslovakia and France, and the Bf 108 in France.

The reverse of course also happened - e.g., Panzer 35(t) and Panzer 38(t) (ex-LT vz. 35 and LT vz. 38 respectively). I suspect the answer to this is "yes".

What about equipment that remained in service after a regime change that made the country an opponent of the country which originally supplied it, even if not used in open warfare? The F-14 in post-revolution Iranian service is one example, but there must be many,

What about equipment appropriated by rebel forces, such as the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan? I have  PST T-55 with this as one of the subject options. Again, I suspect this will be a "yes".

29 minutes ago, klr said:

Would continued post-war production of German aircraft in liberated countries count? For example, the Avia C-2 (formerly Arado 96) in Czechoslovakia, Ditto for the Fi 156 in both Czechoslovakia and France, and the Bf 108 in France.

The reverse of course also happened - e.g., Panzer 35(t) and Panzer 38(t) (ex-LT vz. 35 and LT vz. 38 respectively). I suspect the answer to this is "yes".

I don't see why not. The Germans didn't intend their designs to be used by their victorious enemies and I'm sure they weren't too happy about it. Mind you, they might have had bigger things to worry about after the end of the war.

31 minutes ago, klr said:

What about equipment that remained in service after a regime change that made the country an opponent of the country which originally supplied it, even if not used in open warfare? The F-14 in post-revolution Iranian service is one example, but there must be many,

Definitely.

32 minutes ago, klr said:

What about equipment appropriated by rebel forces, such as the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan? I have  PST T-55 with this as one of the subject options. Again, I suspect this will be a "yes"

Absolutely. That stolen Imperial Shuttle that Luke, Han and Leia arrived on Yavin in? In the wrong hands!

• Like 2

• TonyOD changed the title to In The Wrong Hands GB. 21! Build that booty!
12 minutes ago, klr said:

Count me in so! Plenty of war booty and other dodgy appropriations to choose from.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

• TonyOD changed the title to In The Wrong Hands GB. Two little ducks!

This GB seems to be picking up a bit of momentum now, with the magic 30 now within sight. Thanks to everyone who has signed up in the last few days, and thanlks especially to fellow modellers who have shared pictures of builds along this theme that they have already completed. Inspiring stuff.

In honour of @Brad's splendid build of a captured Nakajima Ki-43, here's a pic of the actual airframe.

spacer.png

Better late than never.

Thanks Tony for signing me up.

Have a few already on the shelves with plenty more kits in the stash and decals in the draws to be done.

Have always loved this topic, I have a penchant for all things odd or unique ie. stand out against the crowd.

Going to push the guidelines here and open a can of worms.

Was just looking at my model shelves and an idea hit me as I looked at my Top Gun themed diorama (for want of a better word).

Did this back in 2016 for the film's 30th anniversary for our local Toy & Model Expo.

spacer.png

What about aircraft used in movies to represent enemy aircraft?

(Could open up another GB under the title 'Movie Aircraft' or 'Aircraft in Films')

I suppose it also borders on Aggressor aircraft.

Anyway,

for example, 2 off the top of my head,

F-5E & F-5F as Russian MiG-28's in Top Gun

T-6 Texans as Zeros in Tora Tora Tora

I'm sure there's more.

Keep up the good work Tony.

Cheers

Red Dog

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Ooh it's a stretch but I'd allow it - pretending to be in the wrong hands 😁, On the Interceptors GB @dnl42 is doing a build that replicates a scene from The Final Countdown - T-6's were used for Zeros in that. 

It's a stretch alright, just looking to open a conversation and show off one of my builds.

Forgot about 'The Final Countdown' and the T-6 Texans in it. I'm sure there are plenty of other movies that have them representing Zeros.

A quick search finds there are plenty in enemy clothes.

Will post a few of my other builds gradually.

Cheers

Red Dog

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

(Could open up another GB under the title 'Movie Aircraft' or 'Aircraft in Films')

I suppose it also borders on Aggressor aircraft.

Was done at the end of 2019, movies & TV, Sci-Fi, and Whif build. So with the new rules in place probably not able to get in until 2023 ? But @Enzo Matrix has the final approval. 

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Was done at the end of 2019, movies & TV, Sci-Fi, and Whif build. So with the new rules in place probably not able to get in until 2023 ? But @Enzo Matrix has the final approval. 

To be fair movie planes are probably a whole ‘nother GB, as you say. Hereby excluded. 😉

Show and Tell Time

Bf 109G-2/R-2 W.Nr.10605 of 2.(H)/14 shot down near Zarsis Tunisia Feb 1943. Captured by British and then taken over by the Americans. Mechanics of 79 FG USAAF restored it to flying condition.

Kit - Academy 1/72 Bf 109G-6 (some conversion work to back date to G-2 was performed)

Decals - Rising decals - Under New Management (Captured Bf 109, Fw 190 & Ta 152 by US & RAF forces)

spacer.png

Cheers

Red Dog

• Like 2

No probs on excluding 'Movie Aircraft', as I said just getting a conversation going.

But what else is out there on screen in enemy clothes?

Cheers

Red Dog

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Bf 109G-2/R-2 W.Nr.10605 of 2.(H)/14 shot down near Zarsis Tunisia Feb 1943.

I like that one. Super job on the weathering.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fifer54 said:

Count me in! There are a few Beuteflugzeuge in my display shelves and I'm always eager for more . . .

Ah-ha, just like Schadenfreude, the Germans have a word for it, it seems! Thank you, and welcome aboard.

• TonyOD changed the title to In The Wrong Hands GB. Beuteflugzeuge, und so weiter! 23!
20 hours ago, Red Dog said:

No probs on excluding 'Movie Aircraft', as I said just getting a conversation going.

But what else is out there on screen in enemy clothes?

Cheers

Red Dog

Plenty of tanks - the M60 Pattons playing German tanks in "Patton" for example. Although since I believe they were Spanish vehicles and Spain was loosely aligned with Nazi Germany during the war time (and still under Franco at the time of filming), then perhaps it is apt?!

Dutch Leopard as Tiger in Soldier Orange

T-34 as Tiger in Kelly's Heros.

On the plane front, don't forget F-5s as Iraqi planes in Hot Shots

5 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Plenty of tanks - the M60 Pattons playing German tanks in "Patton" for example. Although since I believe they were Spanish vehicles and Spain was loosely aligned with Nazi Germany during the war time (and still under Franco at the time of filming), then perhaps it is apt?!

Dutch Leopard as Tiger in Soldier Orange

T-34 as Tiger in Kelly's Heros.

I agree there are plenty of examples in the armour world of cross dressing in movies.

Battle of the Bulge is another with M60 Pattons

spacer.png

Director : 'As long as it's got a black & white cross on it, it'll look German'.

🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

@Cuppa_joe The “what’s the worst that could happen” slot is yours! Welcome aboard! (Mate, if I fulfill every GB commitment this year, it means I will have to do without sleep. And 2022 is already shaping up to be busy too.)

• Like 1