In The Wrong Hands GB. Close... but no cigar!

TonyOD

58 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

@Cuppa_joe The “what’s the worst that could happen” slot is yours! Welcome aboard! (Mate, if I fulfill every GB commitment this year, it means I will have to do without sleep. And 2022 is already shaping up to be busy too.)

Cheerio!! I got my eye on the AZ model BF109 captured, otherwise may change prior

• Like 1

Here's one I prepared earlier.

Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb with Fusion Models Messershmitt/Schmitfire resin conversion cowling & Decals.

Captured spit with DB 605 engine tested by Germans. Two good things together don't necessarily make one great thing.

This was my first kit back after a quite a few years hiatis (as many of us have had).

Have learnt plenty since then and would love the opportunity to do this one again, but with so many more options out there this one will have to do.

Cheers

Red Dog

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The poster girl for the GB has been changed from the Luftwaffe operated Spitfire to the MiG-21 Fishbed acquired by the Israelis from a defecting Iraqi pilot and later handed over to the Americans. I'm going to change it every so often to keep it fresh. Suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Here are three for you to consider

1. Albatros D.Va - RAF. The rear of the fuselage and the fin may be all red

Albatross%20D.Va%20RAF%2C%2003-M.jpg

2. Spad VII, it may be red, very dark blue or black overall

captured%20VII%2C%2003-M.jpg

3. Sopwith Camel, Still PC10 mainly, the repainted rear fuselage and fin front edge part may be red or black

German%20Camel%2C%2001-M.jpg

Before you ask; I've not modelled any of these but I'm working on the Spad, using Blue Rider decals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following @vppelt68's interesting post about the B-17 that landed in Sweden I was casting around for more info on that aircraft ("Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby") and came across the excellent website www.forcedlandingcollection.se about the very numerous planes from both sided that made forced landings in Sweden and were interned.

spacer.png

I had absolutely no knowledge of this kind of scenario, it's really fascinating. Some of the planes made crash landings and became unflyable (and probably unmodellable - now there would be a challenge) but plenty landed intact and would make interesting subjects.

By kind permission of Nick who runs the site, here's a fine example: a He-111 that landed in Mästermyr in April 1941. The Balken- and Hakenkreuze were painted over with white circles, the act of which is shown in the second photo (note dog bottom right. He makes me smile.).

spacer.png

Photo used by permission of forcedlandingcollection.se 

He-2.jpg

Photo used by permission of forcedlandingcollection.se 

Well worth a browse!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just spotted  this... what are the dates and would a Syrian T-34 d30 be acceptable (so re-purposed by a 3rd party - but not captured or used against its original country - if not that is fine

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

just spotted  this... what are the dates and would a Syrian T-34 d30 be acceptable (so re-purposed by a 3rd party - but not captured or used against its original country - if not that is fine

Hello and thanks for the interest. We're a long way off dates yet because we need to get 30 interested parties signed up to earn a place in November's bunfight. If it gets enough votes that I guess is when dates are allocated.

Can you give me a bit more info on the T-34? Were the Syrians operating it against the wishes of the Soviets, e.g. they captured it or nicked it? If the Syrians acquired it by legitimate means it's a straightforward case of "in foreign service" rather than "in the wrong hands", sorry. (I know nothing about tanks, can you tell?)

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Hello and thanks for the interest. We're a long way off dates yet because we need to get 30 interested parties signed up to earn a place in November's bunfight. If it gets enough votes that I guess is when dates are allocated.

Can you give me a bit more info on the T-34? Were the Syrians operating it against the wishes of the Soviets, e.g. they captured it or nicked it? If the Syrians acquired it by legitimate means it's a straightforward case of "in foreign service" rather than "in the wrong hands", sorry. (I know nothing about tanks, can you tell?)

hi Tony, it is an SPG mounted on a surplus T-34 chassis - so yes in foreign service... will keep an eye out for something that would fit the bill if I may 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Hello Rob and @TonyOD There are the Panzer IV’s and StuGIII’s used by Syria after the war against Israel in the six day war maybe they might count ? There are kits of both in existence but it wouldn't be hard to modify any kit. Mostly the addition if a Soviet heavy machine gun on top as AA and Anti personnel. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rob and @TonyOD There are the Panzer IV’s and StuGIII’s used by Syria after the war against Israel in the six day war

Funnily enough I was having a bit of a Google around Syrian tanks last night Dennis and I came across this. Wehrmacht tanks captured by the French and later used by the Syrians. Definitely eligible. Again, I know nowt about tanks but I'd love to see some armour on this GB if it flies (or in this case rolls).

With that in mind, here's today's random example. It's a German Sherman! And it was driven by Hermann. Possibly. Anyway, the new owners certainly made their mark on it...

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

Today's offering is this Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 "Sparviero" captured by the US 79th Fighter Group in 1944. The fasces remain on the wings, but the Americans slapped a white band and a star on the fuselage and what looks like a white square on the cross of Savoy on the rudder. While sparviero is Italian for "sparrowhawk", the SM.70 was affectionately referred to by its crews as il gobbo maledetto, loosely "the bloody hunchback". 

spacer.png

I find I'm not on your names list

I think that needs to be corrected please

WW1 British Mk.IV tank, a Beutepanzer

TTsFq9fi-gLR2akGOR6cFDwAEwlv8Qj-UzqEjz1d

As well as using dozens of captured British tanks against the British/French/Americans during WW1 the German civil law enforcements used them in Germany post-WW1 against rioters in German cities

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I find I'm not on your names list

I think that needs to be corrected please

Duly remedied. Did I overlook you previously? Apologies if so.

• TonyOD changed the title to In The Wrong Hands GB. Man alive! 25!

Irish Air Corps Hurricane Mk. I number 93, ex RAF 79 squadron. Taken on charge after it landed in Eire due to out of fuel

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-P3416-Irelan

also a IIa = no. 94, a IIb = no.95, all interned 'windfalls', plus a Battle TT, a couple of Hudsons and others

That's a good one, @Black Knight. I did a bit of reading up and as you say this is one of three aircraft that force landed in Ireland and were interned and used by the Irish Air Corps (though the Irish government turned a blind eye as the pilots made their way over the border into Northern Ireland.) This one remained with the IAC, while the other two were returned to Britain in exchange for four ex-RAF Mk. I's, which doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. More Hurricanes found their way to Ireland later on and the IAC operated as many as 20, but I'm not sure of the circumstances of these, I've read somewhere that the Irish "interned" some Hurricanes that landed in Ireland but actually paid the British for them, which has "a nod's a good as a wink" written all over it. 😉

There's a nice pic of a bunch of IAC Hurricanes in @Troy Smith's thread here, but my gut instinct is that your number 93 might have been the only example that is eligible, strictly speaking!

Edited by TonyOD

On 2/5/2021 at 12:16 AM, Wez said:

Anybody seen these?  Is that the sort of thing that floats your boat?

That Ju 88 has something there for those who can't decide or want to change their minds mid painting.

Paint Session 1 - 'Yeah it's going to be in typical RLM 70/71 over 65'.

Paint Session 2 -'Nah, I'll give some RLM 65 squiggles over the top'.

Paint Session 3 - 'Hang on a minute, what if I gave yellow wings and rear fuselage with early US markings, really big ones on the wings'.

Paint Session 4 - 'Why don't I give the cowlings a coat of red and have one spinner in red and one in RLM 65, Yeah that'll look cool'.

Paint Session 5 - 'Just to confuse everyone, I'll give it RAF fin flashes'.

Just as well there's photographic evidence of that machine or no one would believe you.

That British Mk.IV tank in German hand photo would make a great diorama. What was the driver thinking? Could be an early example of an

anti aircraft gun.

• Like 1

Another one I prepared earlier

Bf 109E in Swiss hands.

Switzerland purchased 50 E models as well as the earlier D and later G.

Used to protect Switzerland airspace against both the Allied and Axis Air Forces.

Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E-3 with Rising Decals 'Unusual Emils' (RD48012) Only used the numerals from the sheet as all the other markings are painted.

spacer.png

Cheers All

Red Dog

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I'd be interested. My entry would be a Japanese warplane that carries the green surrender markings. Strictly speaking it was still operated by the Japanese as a hack but under strict Allied control.  Would that count for the GB?

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Toryu said:

My entry would be a Japanese warplane that carries the green surrender markings. Strictly speaking it was still operated by the Japanese as a hack but under strict Allied control.  Would that count for the GB?

That's a scenario I hadn't thought of but I think very eligible! Welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1