In The Wrong Hands GB. Close... but no cigar!

TonyOD

20/10/21: the Bunfight-ready edit!

Thanks to everyone who has shown an interest in taking part in this GB, and thanks again to @Wez who has kindly offered to co-host. As at today we're healthily over the magic 30 line, and hopefully this will make it through. Voting season is almost upon us! So just to recap...

This GB is all about building stuff that is In The Wrong Hands.

The ethos of the build is that it is about hardware that is in the possession of somebody other than its original owner, who would much rather have it back, if you don't mind.

Possible scenarios include:

• Hardware captured (and possibly even operated) by the enemy.
  • Hardware interned by neutral powers, who won't give it back.
  • Hardware passed on to enemy powers by third parties who came by it by whatever means.
  • Hardware sold by one country to another, who then used it against the seller.

Other scenarios considered, but you get the idea! 

If you've already completed builds that happen to be in the spirit of this proposed GB, please feel free to post pictures on this thread to inspire and delight!

Thanks to the following for expressing interest:

1. @vppelt68

2. @Robert Stuart

3. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. @Ratch

5. @Tim R-T-C

6. @Marklo

7. @Prenton

8. @jackroadkill

9. @zebra

10. @dnl42

11. @Rafwaffe

12. @Avereda

13. @TonyOD (host)

14. @CliffB

15. @Wez (co-host)

16. @Johnson

17. @Jabba

18. @alt-92

19. @Brad

20. @Beazer

21.  @klr

22.  @Red Dog

23.  @Fifer54

24.  @Cuppa_joe

25.  @Black Knight

26.  @Toryu

27.  @badger

28.  @TEMPESTMK5

29. @exdraken

30. BOOM! @modelling minion

31. @81-er

32: @Bertie Psmith

33. @Prenton

34. @ModelingEdmontonian

35. @neil5208
36. @Richard Tucker
37. @arfa1983

38. @Angus Tura

39. @Mukund SB
40.  your name here...

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

With over a thousand post, you think you're new?  Or is it just the group build area, in which case welcome.

Great idea for a Group Build - lots of ground stuff was pressed into use by the opposition.

I rather fancy having a go at Cuckoo, a captured Panther used by the Guards division.
egl0ucs.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

With over a thousand post, you think you're new?  Or is it just the group build area, in which case welcome.

Great idea for a Group Build - lots of ground stuff was pressed into use by the opposition.

I rather fancy having a go at Cuckoo, a captured Panther used by the Guards division.
egl0ucs.jpg

Great! Can I put you on my list of two so far? 😁

(1000+ posts but I only signed up in the summer... I still feel very much the imposter with all the amazing stuff I see getting built on BM!)

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to "Captured" GB anyone? Up and running with 2!

Yes please.. There are several aircraft Id like to do. Luftwaffe captured allied aircraft, a Japanese Tony in USMC markings, and British/US operating Luftwaffe aircraft as hacks.

Would this include neutral countries operating aircraft interned there ? Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, and Sweden all did this ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Captured GB anyone? Up and running with 5!
On 12/13/2020 at 9:52 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Would this include neutral countries operating aircraft interned there ? Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, and Sweden all did this ? 

Now that's a good question. Like I said I'm no aviation historian and wasn't aware of this kind of scenario. I feel that "captured" and "interned" amount to the same thing - they're being used by armed forces not explicitly allied to the country that the hardware actually belonged to. The overarching theme could be that it's not an "in foreign service" scenario where the hardware has been willingly passed to an ally (e.g. lend-lease), but where it has effectively been nicked and the original owner would prefer to have it back.

Thanks for raising this Dennis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With a view to raising interest in the subject of captured hardware (and to learn a bit more about a subject that I find really interesting), not to mention maybe getting a few more names on the list, from time to time I'm going to stick an example on this thread. Any interesting additions would be more than welcome!

Here's a Messerchmitt Bf 109G2 that was captured by the Soviets in late 1942 and tested near Stalingrad in January 1943.

spacer.png

Source (with some interesting info about the trials): https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/523-soviet-trials-of-bf-109g-2-g-4/ 

This aircraft (and a couple of other captured 109s) can be built OOB with a kit from AZ Model. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-az7496-messerschmitt-bf-109g2--654378 

Cheers!

• Like 2

• TonyOD changed the title to Captured GB anyone? Lucky 7!
  • TonyOD changed the title to Captured GB. 8 and growing.

Very interesting proposal - count me in. No idea what I'd build, will have to give it some thought. Perhaps an F-5 or A-37 operated by the VPAF after the end of the Vietnam War.

A few other thoughts - would any of these count: There have been various MiGs operated by the USAF that were obtained from various sources, also how about the Iraqi AF aircraft that were taken to Iran during the first Gulf War and taken over by the IRIAF? And how about East German aircraft that were taken over by the Luftwaffe after Germany was reunified? Some of these might be better described as "obtained" rather than "captured" but as they're all examples of aircraft that have been operated by their "enemy", are they in the spirit of the GB proposal?

8 hours ago, zebra said:

A few other thoughts - would any of these count: There have been various MiGs operated by the USAF that were obtained from various sources, also how about the Iraqi AF aircraft that were taken to Iran during the first Gulf War and taken over by the IRIAF? And how about East German aircraft that were taken over by the Luftwaffe after Germany was reunified? Some of these might be better described as "obtained" rather than "captured" but as they're all examples of aircraft that have been operated by their "enemy", are they in the spirit of the GB proposal?

They all sound very eligible, indeed this adds an interesting slant. Very much in the spirit of the GB, i.e. it is hardware "in the wrong hands". Maybe this could be the name of the GB to cover all bases, thought hopefully it's not vague enough to affect its chances if it made it to next year's bunfight?

4 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

This group build has called to me...

If there was ever a GB with your name on it... 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zebra said:

I'd love to do a Constant Peg MiG one of these days.  I read an excellent book a couple years ago about the 4477th Red Eagles squadron.  I've yet to find dedicated decals for them, so it would likely take a bit of piecemealing together to accomplish.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'd love to do a Constant Peg MiG one of these days.

This meant absolutely nothing to me so I genned up on Wikipedia. That would be an really interesting subject and a fantastic addition to the build. Let me know if you're in!

• TonyOD changed the title to In The Wrong Hands GB. We have a dozen.
22 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'd love to do a Constant Peg MiG one of these days.  I read an excellent book a couple years ago about the 4477th Red Eagles squadron.  I've yet to find dedicated decals for them, so it would likely take a bit of piecemealing together to accomplish.

There doesn't seem to be much out there but I'm aware of a couple of decal sheets: There's a MiG-21 on this Begemot sheet and Wolfpak did a MiG-21 and MiG-23 on this sheet

What was the book you read? Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

I've changed the name of the GB proposal to In The Wrong Hands. See my (edited) original post for details. I think it captures the spirit of the GB and covers the various circumstances of kit operated by people who shouldn't really have got their hands on it, without being too vague and losing its identity in the GB proposal mix. 😁

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

This has started to interest me! Very quickly two options come to my mind:

1. The simple one, the sole P-40 captured from the Soviets and used by the Finns
  2. The :hmmm: one, an American bomber force landed and interned, but not used by the Swedes or the Swiss. Would that be eligible without flying under a new flag?

V-P

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

The :hmmm: one, an American bomber force landed and interned, but not used by the Swedes or the Swiss. Would that be eligible without flying under a new flag?

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share? 😁

6 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

This is the most interesting one, I believe, but not The B-17 I would build a model of: https://www.historynet.com/baby-comes-back-a-b-17g-lands-in-sweden.htm

Fascinating story, and it would certainly satisfy the "can we have our ball back please" spirit of the build! Big yes!

• Thanks 1