Dynavector 1/48 Dehavilland Sea Vixen FAW-2

LorenSharp

Now for the moment of truth, adding all my extra bits , self created and aftermarket, to the fuselage and seeing if  we can put a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.

50853088052_e071234d06_c.jpg

Nose wheel bay and speed brake bay fit.... check!

50853088092_2991304ce5_c.jpg

Cockpit fit..... Check! 2 for 2

50852273923_a95aeb776a_c.jpg

Intakes fit.... Check!

And Voila! it all fits! well mostly. there is a small gap but checking measurments it was me trimming too much from the fuselage when i separated the parts from the plastic. about a 1.5 mm gap.I'll use a little bit of Milliput to fill and once it hardens sand it down smooth.

50852274103_f20ce3ac8d_c.jpg

since the cockpit extendedbelow to the lower fuselage I didn't need to use tabs to secure the halves together. I will for the wings though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Very impressive :clap2: I've still got one in my stash, and if you were UK based I'd be mithering you for a copy of the 3D parts :lol:  I really miss Dynavector :(

MIke when you get ready to build your 'Vector, PM me your address and I'll l send you a set. think of it as a "build" review." wink, Wink, nudge, nudge, Say no more say no more"

• Thanks 1

Speaking of tabs  wings tabbed.

50852273928_596b7c9f71_c.jpg

Inner and outer Flap Interiors added along with the main gear bays. everything fitting where they're supposed to. This is getting scary. 

50852274113_e8e51876fb_c.jpg

50853087977_f23caba1f1_c.jpg

A little bit of lower wing gap again trimmed too much so Milliput to the rescue. I could use my white glazing but this will add some extra strength.

• Like 5

Looking at my refence material, the leading edge of the canopy is not a smooth hump, but a sharp edge so I cut,trimmed and took a piece of thin rod for backing to hold together. I will probably have to do the same for the canopy. both will need a touch of sanding to clean up.

50852273963_ba0cf57f45_c.jpg

the after market lower fuselage vents, had to trim more than I expected to get them to fit and had to cut away some of the fuselage as well. these were designed for the Airfix  model not the Dynavector so I can't complain too much. Besides no one would pay attention to me anyways.🤪

50852274088_e568f302d9_c.jpg

50853088112_4fa58f61b4_c.jpg

Pay no attention to the coffee stains on the model they were added at no extra charge. I'll let these set for a day then sand down and see if  I can get the pylons added and intakes finished. so until next time stay safe, stay healthy and Model On!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Very nice work! I'd forgotten you print up your own parts and once again that's impressive results. Glad you mentioned that's a coffee stain by the way as for a moment I thought it might be blood... :o

• Thanks 1

Thanks Col. Like bits of rod and sprue or paint brush or file, a printer is nothing more than a tool. I've been lucky this time as everything more or less fit together very well.I did have to shave a mm or so in spots to fit tight. usually I'm not this lucky. Biggest problem I've had so far in printing had to do with the slicer not scaling properly. but I discovered that when I updated the program not all the previous instances had fully uninstalled.Once I deleted those and cleaned up here and there on the drive its back to shipshape Bristol fashion.

Seeing the work you and others are doing with 3D printers tells me they have a firm future in model-making.

Perhaps they also offer a useful way to market aftermarket parts by simply sending a file rather than posting physical parts over continents and countries with all the taxes and delays that entails.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Col. said:

Perhaps they also offer a useful way to market aftermarket parts by simply sending a file rather than posting physical parts over continents and countries with all the taxes and delays that entails.

Interesting idea, but would modellers pay for people’s cad skills. There are a lot of files out there on sites like Thingverse and I have a set of Panzer Maus files ready whenever I do get a printer

Edited by Marklo

On 1/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, Marklo said:

Interesting idea, but would modellers pay for people’s cad skills. There are a lot of files out there on sites like Thingverse and I have a set of Panzer Maus files ready whenever I do get a printer

I still struggle with the concept of i-tunes and MP-3 where we pay for an electronic file while never receiving a physical article so you may have a point there :lol: 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 19:41, Col. said:

Seeing the work you and others are doing with 3D printers tells me they have a firm future in model-making.

On 20/01/2021 at 12:55, Marklo said:

2 hours ago, Col. said:

I still struggle with the concept of i-tunes and MP-3 where we pay for an electronic file while never receiving a physical article so you may have a point there :lol: 

Oh that’s some lateral thinking there. One idea might be that A does the software and gets that to B who prints off in a different tax jurisdiction and posts to local customers under a simple licence agreement. One collects the price and accounts go the other on an agreed split. No doubt the tax accountants can refine that to have compliance with the tax. No import duty and no heavy postage from abroad. 

And great job on the Vixen by the way. I have both Airfix and Dynavector Sea Vixen and Javelins in the stash for that rainy day

• Like 1

A little more progress since I decided to lower the flaps it left a missing section on the pylon. I tried a thin piece of card rolled in the shape of the section but it didn't conform as well as I had hoped so I went with the back up of Milliput plugs and then a coating of glazing compound to smooth it out to the basic shape.

50860450496_3eac90d1dc_c.jpg

in the process I broke the starboard flap interior which meant I had to make a new one.

New piece made and added the Horizontal Stabilizer

50860547997_16ccccae71_c.jpg

Next to sand down into the proper shape.

• Like 3

A little extra detail to the intakes. The apex on the white metal on the real intake doesn't come to a point but is more rounded. and the dividers as well

50859735393_523a79172b_c.jpg

50860547962_46111fc773_c.jpg

And while replacement part printed I also printed off new Exhaust pipes. Unfortunately, the little wires on the end didn't print properly so I used  .010 rod to replace.

50860547942_9200892ce3_c.jpg

• Like 3

A coating of primer to bring out all the errors and now I can see where my attention needs to be directed.

50860450546_8412ae5baf_c.jpg

50860450556_134e624e0e_c.jpg

50859735463_665d2abff0_c.jpg

As suspected mostly at the wing joins and where I used the Milliput plugs. but overall not too bad.  This will make it easier to rescribe soo as well.WOW it almost looks like a real live air-a-mplane.

50859735518_c68e6c0773_c.jpg

New flap installed as well. I'll let this dry for a day then smooth out rough spots fill where I need to  and tidy up the sanding marks. Then to the Paint Shop!

• Like 6

A little farther along now that the primer has dried ,I can see where I need to tweak some rough spots. Not many mind you, which surprised me. Mostly around the intake areas on the upper and lower joins.

Pardon my lousy camera work, I didn't realize how shaky the shot was until after I had repainted. but the touchups are not as bad as it looks

50870463707_be13ac60c6_c.jpg

one area that didn't match up not matter how I tried was the Refueling receptacle port base at the leading edge of the wing. So I used a piece of rod about the sane size, drilled out the center so the refueling boom had a place to stay and then filled around the edge with glazing compound.

Then came the airflow gates. had to grind down the interior contours the fit on the wing.

50870365846_11cd4c38b1_c.jpg

After looking it over a little I went back and checked my reference photos and realized that I had forgotten to finish the intakes before I glued them on. A little bit of thinking and plotting I had some .010 sheet and with a little bit of rod for spacers managed to get a close approximation to the intakes.

50869656433_9d93862864_c.jpg

• Like 3

Another coat of primer to see how it looks with all the extra bits added.

50870365831_80551d90c5_c.jpg

50869656473_fc9f533e32_c.jpg

Now to start with the whte bottom

50870365806_3fd9b9d431_c.jpg

The top with the primer is almost the right shade for Extra dark Sea Gray but this will be just the base.  I highlighted the rescribed panel lines with some thinned down flat black

50870365876_c2bd0ee352_c.jpg

I'll let the bottom dry a little bit before masking for the dark gray on the topside.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Thats why I have a removable cover on the keyboard.

I used to have one of those for my old Apple Keyboard, but it was a bit like poking dead flesh, and although I had most of the features working with my PC, it would occasionally freak out a bit, so I sold it on.  I use a mechanical keyboard these days, and make sure I keep it well away from paint & glue :)

The port and starboard marker lights I made from plastic sprue and sanded down to match the contours.

50879048241_705e05afb1_c.jpg

Added the ailerons and finished the last external bits. I'll add these last along with the Red Top missiles.

50879150317_e647c2c608_c.jpg

50879048191_0ff664ec95_c.jpg

Tomorrow finish up the final weathering, clear coat then begin the process of finishing up with the decals. The end inf in sight.

• Like 4

Well here is the final installment on this little build of mine. Would have been a little sooner but the decals  were a 3 day affair. More stenciling than I thought.

Finished the Red Top missiles, wasn't sure of the colouring, but the examples out there had colours all over the spectrum, from solid white to solid red  but settled on a design from a static display,White with grey main fins outlined in red. The WIndshield I have corrected it from this. I had it reversed. Ironically the wrong way fir better than the correct way.

50890831908_c15625a3b2_c.jpg

The R/O's hatch I gave several coating of transparent Smoke and a bit of rod to prop it up.

50890831893_f5f544266a_c.jpg.

Heres the proper orientation of the wind screen

50891658927_2829a20314_c.jpg

• Like 4