Royal Engineers Armoured Vehicle kits

Latinbear

My son is due to commission into the RE next year and I would like to get him a kit for Christmas of an example of their modern hardware such as a bridgelayer, a Trojan or similar.

A look through the various online shops hasn't yielded any results.

Could anybody point me in the direction of any kits that might be representative to today's Royal Engineers' equipment please?

Many thanks in advance

Ian

Not much at all I’m afraid. It’s taken nearly 30 years since they went out of service to see a Cent AVRE, never mind a Frog or a Spartan. Not much hope for the Titan, Trojan or Terrier. One off paper panzers, no problems but British Armour.....

still serving after 31 years in the Sappers ;)

• Thanks 1

No hope with up to date kit😟 Accurate Armour did a Chieftain Bridge layer, CET but I dont even know if they are available.

Still as long as we get more Panthers Tigers and such it seems people are more than happy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As other have said, there's nothing much out there. Accurate Armours CETis OOP, but then thats been replaced by the terrier anyway. Their Spartan is still for sale if you don't mind a resin kit.

I do like my German armour, but i have to agree we have more than enough Panther and Tigers, more modern British armour would be nice, and not just stuff from video games.

Sorry I'm a bit late in posting. Only just seen this topic. Is this any help?

There is a REME TQ-FV434 vehicle on this page

https://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

It's in 1/24scale, very detailed and very pricey. Please forgive a civvie if I've got the wrong section of the army

46 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Sorry I'm a bit late in posting. Only just seen this topic. Is this any help?

There is a REME TQ-FV434 vehicle on this page

https://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

It's in 1/24scale, very detailed and very pricey. Please forgive a civvie if I've got the wrong section of the army

Unfortunately that’s not Royal Engineers and is Royal Engineers Minus Educaishun.

• Haha 8

I went on the hunt for all things Trojan a bit back, and although there's no kits out there, I did come across a site called Heroics & Ros which do a rather nice one in 1/300 scale. Not ideal, but better than nothing!

In fairness to the kit manufacturers though, there does seem to be a complete lack of useful references for modelling these vehicles, at least that I could find. You can find plenty of half-decent photos taken from ground level, but as most of the complicated stuff is up the top, they don't help a huge amount. The only shot I could find showing the top at all was on Top Gear, of all places! And there's no scale plans out there that I could find, inaccurate or otherwise. In other words, a manufacturer trying to do a remotely accurate model of one in a decent scale would have their work cut out for them, and it's probably not worth it when you can spend far less time and effort making yet another model based on widely available plans for the PapierPanzer LVII gestiefelteKater Ausf.E , and still have sales for it go absolutely through the roof.

37 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

I went on the hunt for all things Trojan a bit back, and although there's no kits out there, I did come across a site called Heroics & Ros which do a rather nice one in 1/300 scale. Not ideal, but better than nothing!

In fairness to the kit manufacturers though, there does seem to be a complete lack of useful references for modelling these vehicles, at least that I could find. You can find plenty of half-decent photos taken from ground level, but as most of the complicated stuff is up the top, they don't help a huge amount. The only shot I could find showing the top at all was on Top Gear, of all places! And there's no scale plans out there that I could find, inaccurate or otherwise. In other words, a manufacturer trying to do a remotely accurate model of one in a decent scale would have their work cut out for them, and it's probably not worth it when you can spend far less time and effort making yet another model based on widely available plans for the PapierPanzer LVII gestiefelteKater Ausf.E , and still have sales for it go absolutely through the roof.

I've got a full walkaround of both taken whilst visiting the training team. I'll push them into the database for @Julien  now. 

231 Pics, both Titan and Trojan taken whilst clambering over them and fixtures and fitting details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Sorry, my bad. In fairness I did ask forgiveness as a civvie. Just googled REME - more fix your car than build a bridge so not a proper engineer.

Ruin Everything Mechanical Eventually springs to mind.

Not up to date but Dragon Badger models do a Willich AVRE, mixed reviews on quality etc but if there is nothing else?🤔

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Not up to date but Dragon Badger models do a Willich AVRE, mixed reviews on quality etc but if there is nothing else?🤔

I've got the Amusing Hobby AVRE on its way to me now. I don't normally do Armour, but this is the exception. A couple of mates lost their AVRE's during OP GRANBY after an unfortunate tea making incident ;) The photos are very spectacular and having been at 32 twice (my first for TELIC and also my last posting before transferring to the cork wearing Sappers) its got to be done.

On 28/12/2020 at 12:43, Greg B said:

I've got a full walkaround of both taken whilst visiting the training team. I'll push them into the database for @Julien  now. 

231 Pics, both Titan and Trojan taken whilst clambering over them and fixtures and fitting details.

Thanks @Greg B Titan pics now up.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, ivan-o said:

Avoid Dragon badger like the plague chaps awful stuff .. don’t waste your money 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Greg B for the excellent walkaround photos!

Now one question I do have - a few places mention Trojan being fitted with a winch. I don't really have clue what I'm looking for to be fair, but I can't see anything in the photos that screams 'winch' at me. Anyone have any ideas where it is, if there even is one?

14 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Thanks @Greg B for the excellent walkaround photos!

Now one question I do have - a few places mention Trojan being fitted with a winch. I don't really have clue what I'm looking for to be fair, but I can't see anything in the photos that screams 'winch' at me. Anyone have any ideas where it is, if there even is one?

I dont think it does, no need for one. I can ask to confirm? But the only Sapper vehicle with a winch I can remember was the CET for dragging itself up behind the Anchor. I couldn’t comment about the Terrier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The TROJAN does not have a winch, nor the TITAN. Terrier also no winch.

RE vehicles still in service with winches are the BR90 TBTs & ABLE. 

Also a few MAN SV winch wagons but they are not RE specific. 

not in kit form but now available is a scale TROJAN

Reads Gifts - TROJAN

Edited by Cooper645
Added link to TROJAN

• 2 months later...
On 28/12/2020 at 16:50, ivan-o said:

Or as my Brother said ( ex RE) Royal Engineers Minus Experiance,  you have to love the inter Corps and Regiment Banter 🤣👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1