1/72 Academy A-10

Resurrected this project after more than 10 years in storage. After trying to find some of my tools for my other project I happened to come across my old unfinished projects. This is a pair of 1/72 GE TF-34 engines that I was scartchbuilding more than 10 years ago. I will re-start this project again and finish it this time. As you can see the styrene is turning yellow due to age and storage. This is still workable and will detail it this time.

YFchgbm.jpg?2

34oeUvI.jpg?1

6R9eyy3.jpg?1

mdnuQXg.jpg?1

• Like 11

Hello all. Just some small update as this build progress.

The left engine in completely wired up. Added details on the engine, fan blade support, tiny "featherette" and lightening holes in the front nacelle. The right engine had been partially started.

qgQUPg5.jpg?1

frashXF.jpg?1

WQFcb4B.jpg?1

MMYJls9.jpg?1

Dry fitted on the engine pods.

6xsMqC6.jpg?1

Right engine with details done. Just needs wiring for details.

PKCTz0D.jpg?1

Completed left engine dry fitted in its pod.

iKQmkCW.jpg?1

o7vscjQ.jpg?1

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here are some pictures of my recent work (still ongoing)

This is a P&W J-58 Engine for Blackbird:

1282.jpg

and the printed one:

1859.jpg

you can find more pictures here:

Wow, Brilliant. Really going along nicely. Following your Black Bird build also.

5 hours ago, James G said:

Nice work!

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking amazing, especially in 1/72. The pragmatist in me is saying that all that detailing on the engines is going to need a lot more ballast in the nose though. Got some depleted uranium? :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve, Hope this is not going to be a tail sitter. The front of the aircraft is loaded with all the resin parts. Hopefully this is enough to counter balance the tail, if not I can still add weight to the aft of the cockpit. Thanks for reminding me on this.

• Like 1

Slow progress. The front control panel is completed. This is the old Aires cockpit detail set which includes a PE front panel and an acetate film for the display. I have to thin down the resin front console to fit the PE panel properly. This is then primed and a base colour added followed by detail painting and attaching it to the front console. The seat is temporarily placed in to check alignment. I need to add the control stick and the heads up display.

fuqEBPf.jpg?1

LmiswHH.jpg?1

GZd1LVe.jpg?1

YBGSwsR.jpg?1

• Like 2

Hi there

Just by coincidence I also dig out from the stash a couple of A-10 Thunderbolt, one of them a Hasegawa and an Academy (this one a clon from the other) your engines are wonderful only let me point you a thing. Both kits incorrect on the fan blade of front side of the engine. Thats for 1/72 scale

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-72-411-a-10a-thunderbolt-ii-correct-fan-blades--207902

Let me ask you for more flap wings details

Regards

Armando

2 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Hi there

Just by coincidence I also dig out from the stash a couple of A-10 Thunderbolt, one of them a Hasegawa and an Academy (this one a clon from the other) your engines are wonderful only let me point you a thing. Both kits incorrect on the fan blade of front side of the engine. Thats for 1/72 scale

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-72-411-a-10a-thunderbolt-ii-correct-fan-blades--207902

Let me ask you for more flap wings details

Regards

Armando

Hi Armando thanks! The engine fan and spinner was not corrected as when I did this scratch build engine some 10 years a was not aware of the correction although I came to noticed it also when it came out. However I was put off with the shape of the spinner itself. I don't think it captures the real shape. It looks too rounded on the tip and especially at the edge of the spinner compared to the real thing. Here are some comparison. Pictures taken from the web for discussion purpose only.

Here is the said corrected fan blade in 1/72 as you pointed out.

heMd2of.jpg

And here is the real fan blade. Noticed the real shape of the spinner.

uEXcHGa.jpg?1

Edited by Heart Failure