Suggestion on (almost) first airbrush

orck

Well, this is actually my second try on using airbrushes.
I would like to spend less than 50euros (40pounds) just for the airbrush.
In the no name china market there are two different styles I am looking into.
The ones with the miniature nozzle and the ones with the droplet nozzle.
I guess all these are copycats from the big brands.

Can you suggest which one is better?
Pictures are reference only.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had both types.

Top picture: had more than one. They're not perfect, but the BD-180 is IMHO the best cheapo I've ever worked with. The O-Rings needed changing often (because I mostly spray lacquers), but other than that they're pretty well built for the price. The needle (or needles if you go with a set that includes more than one needle-nozzle combo) can benefit from a polishing. Never had a cracked nozzle, but I tend to be quite gentle when screwing them back on. Some attention is also required on the nozzle O-Ring so it seats properly and doesn't get crushed.

Bottom picture: what your picture isn't showing (and mine had) is that the nozzle needs an O-Ring on the base (which was included) so that it actually seals against the airbrush body. The big brands (Iwata's Eclipse uses that design for example) have the parts properly machined and they make a good seal without the addition of an O-Ring. The cheapos don't. It was always bubbling in the cup if that seal wasn't seating properly (and it usually doesn't). I think mine was a Haosheng HS83, but I could be mistaken, it's been a while.

• Like 1