1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-30SM

i did an dry fit on mine ! looks ok but still kittyhawk makes very silly and avoidable mistakes ! the biggest problem would be the cockpit which is missing the SM version has a complete different cockpit layout so more money to invest ! second the navy version has the colors layout wrong the belly has three tones camouflaged patterns so check before painting ! here it has been already criticize kitty hawk for delivering good idea but with those mistake i decide to put on hold ! shame really ! next year Great wall hobby will come to rescue us with  good su 30 kit !!!! 

Edited by asgardiano
  • Like 2

Hi there Reggie. I'm building the Kittyhawk SU-27B which shares a lot of parts with the 30.

Cockpit and gear bays all went together nicely, engines are painted and in place. 

Next step is joining the upper and lower fuselage halves, dry fit looks really good.

Two glaring problems with kit and I'd be interested to hear if your boxing has the same problems.

The first is that one of the intake trunks has been incorrectly moulded so the bulge from the gear bay has nowhere to go. Fixed with a knife and sandpaper so not a big deal.

The second is the main gear legs have no axles! They just forgot to mold the axles and shipped the kits anyway.

1.6mm tube

Has yours got axles?

I'll be interested to see how yours goes together. Do you know what paint scheme you're going for? 

Edited by MrProd
Add photo
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, asgardiano said:

i did an dry fit on mine ! looks ok but still kittyhawk makes very silly and avoidable mistakes ! the biggest problem would be the cockpit which is missing the SM version has a complete different cockpit layout so more money to invest ! second the navy version has the colors layout wrong the belly has three tones camouflaged patterns so check before painting ! here it has been already criticize kitty hawk for delivering good idea but with those mistake i decide to put on hold ! shame really ! next year Great wall hobby will come to rescue us with  good su 30 kit !!!! 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, MrProd said:

Hi there Reggie. I'm building the Kittyhawk SU-27B which shares a lot of parts with the 30.

Cockpit and gear bays all went together nicely, engines are painted and in place. 

Next step is joining the upper and lower fuselage halves, dry fit looks really good.

Two glaring problems with kit and I'd be interested to hear if your boxing has the same problems.

The first is that one of the intake trunks has been incorrectly moulded so the bulge from the gear bay has nowhere to go. Fixed with a knife and sandpaper so not a big deal.

The second is the main gear legs have no axles! They just forgot to mold the axles and shipped the kits anyway.

1.6mm tube

Has yours got axles?

I'll be interested to see how yours goes together. Do you know what paint scheme you're going for? 

Thanks for the advice, I'm starting this after the Holiday