Lockheed TriStar ,TWA , Revell Cutaway Model

This is the initial Revell release of their TriStar kit back in 1973.

The overall shape is ok,but they completely messed up the nose section.Devoid of any real surface detail.

Later releases had a regular (closed) fuselage and the Revell TriStar was together with the Airfix offering for many years the only game in town.

The superior Otaki model disappeard soon after its release

The cutaway model is today well sought after and changes hands sometimes for astronomic prices.

Its not really a depiction of the real thing,more like a travel agency desktop model

I built this model back in march during the first lockdown.I had a holyday,couldnt go anywhere,so this was build in roughly 2 weeks

The most time was spent brushpainting 200+ tiny seats.

There are even some stewardesses and 2 pilots included.

Mating the fuselagehalves was a bit iffy,as the cutaway section was not very stable.

I tried to build and paint it as it is depicted on the boxcover to keep that 70s character.No extra details were used.

To get the nose at least a bit better and keep the cockpit clear part,I simply cut off the rear windoframe and glued the window a little bit more back in the fuselage.The nose had enough plastic to be sanded a slighty reshaped.

Everything else remained in its original form,even the decals are from the kit.Despite their age,they still worked.

Enjoy a rarity

Cheers

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Can a replacement nose be used? I have this kit so I’ll do that if it works. This is really nicely made. To bad the never made the overhead bins, they were quite unique. I’d live to put lights in it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Can a replacement nose be used? I have this kit so I’ll do that if it works. This is really nicely made. To bad the never made the overhead bins, they were quite unique. I’d live to put lights in it.

It would be a difficult task.The Revell kit is also devoid of any surface detail,wich would lead to either remove the details from the nose thats used or just rescribe the hole fuselage.

Some years ago,I built another Revell TriStar where I used the same method as I mentioned above.As there is enough thick plastic,its easy to correct the shape.By using a windodecal with the correct shape,the result is very good.

Here is a picture of that model I correctedspacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow ! Double-whammy !

I remember being blown away when the original kit was released and I was just a boy. :thumbsup2:

Fast forward 20 years and I remember flying on a Delta Tristar from Dallas / Fort Worth to Denver :thumbsup2:

I was using a Delta Pass and there weren't any available seats to get me from Atlanta to Denver, so I had to stump up money at the last minute to buy a regular ticket via Dallas / Fort Worth :thumbsdown:

There were no seats available in Economy so I had to pay extra to travel First Class :thumbsdown:

I travelled First Class :thumbsup2:

I was too stressed out to enjoy it :thumbsdown:

I arrived in Denver but my luggage wasn't on the carousel :thumbsdown:

It turned out that my luggage had been sent on an earlier flight :thumbsup2:

I managed to get into the hotel at 2am in the morning :thumbsdown:

The bus tour left at 7am :thumbsdown:

One of the best holidays I've ever had :thumbsup2:

Qc7s4sCl.jpg?1DQSmoYNl.jpg

So many emotions brought to the surface by your builds ✔️

Many thanks

mike

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Wow ! Double-whammy !

I remember being blown away when the original kit was released and I was just a boy. :thumbsup2:

Fast forward 20 years and I remember flying on a Delta Tristar from Dallas / Fort Worth to Denver :thumbsup2:

I was using a Delta Pass and there weren't any available seats to get me from Atlanta to Denver, so I had to stump up money at the last minute to buy a regular ticket via Dallas / Fort Worth :thumbsdown:

There were no seats available in Economy so I had to pay extra to travel First Class :thumbsdown:

I travelled First Class :thumbsup2:

I was too stressed out to enjoy it :thumbsdown:

I arrived in Denver but my luggage wasn't on the carousel :thumbsdown:

It turned out that my luggage had been sent on an earlier flight :thumbsup2:

I managed to get into the hotel at 2am in the morning :thumbsdown:

The bus tour left at 7am :thumbsdown:

One of the best holidays I've ever had :thumbsup2:

Qc7s4sCl.jpg?1DQSmoYNl.jpg

So many emotions brought to the surface by your builds ✔️

Many thanks

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

Ohh,what an adventure.

Nice to see that you kept the boarding pass and also made a nice picture of the TriStar.

Back in those days,flying was so much more fun than nowadays.Great memories indeed.

Sadly I never managed to fly on a TriStar,but at least i catched a flight on its counterpart,the DC-10.A truly wonderful experience.The nearly 2 hour visit in the cockpit really nailed it

• Like 1

Sorry, but the first thing I thought when I saw the cutouts on the Tristar was that in the real world Langoliers actually caught up with the plane 😢

Nice build of one of my favorite planes though.

Edited by Doom3r
  • Thanks 1