Airbus A 318s British Airways , Avianca, Eastern Express 1/144

Another bunch of Airbuses.

Eastern Express offers the smallest member of the A320 family in 1/144.

Probably ripped off and altered from Revell's A319,its an ok kit.

The fit is a bit iffy in places but its not as bad as their earlier Boeing 737-300 - / 400 / -500 releases.

As I had the British Airways decals left over from my A319,which I built in Gambia Bird livery,I could use these decals to create one of only two A318s Britsh Airways had in its fleet.

They had an all business class seating and were used on the London City - New York flights,that had been offered by BA as replacement to the Concorde services.

The Airbus A318 was not successful as an airliner,as far as I know,Air France is now the only airline to operate the type.

But it sold well as a busines jet.

The Avianca A318 was built OOB.

The red was mixed with a few drops of white to match the tail decal.As with all EEs recent releases,the decals come from PAS decals and are nice to work with.They are laser printed most of the time and have no white backing,wich can be a problem sometimes,esp. if one wishes to use the windows as well.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 21

Hi Alex

I only tried to build the EE A318 once and I gave up because it was so badly moulded and of such poor quality that I wan't prepared to make the effort needed. Congratulations from me on finishing it not just once but twice!

You're right about the Revell parts. If you clean up the EE stabs, engines and undercarriage they are interchangeable with the Revell equivalents. The thing I couldn't figure was why EE moved the join between the wing halves to the upper surface instead of just cloning the Revell wings since they had cloned almost everything else. It takes a special kind of skill to turn a good kit like the Revell A319 into a mess like the EE A318! The Boeing 737s must be truly awful if they are worse.

According to Planespotters.net Tarom still has four A318s. I'm planning to model one eventually but I'll be using a converted Revell A319.

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 23:21, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alex

I only tried to build the EE A318 once and I gave up because it was so badly moulded and of such poor quality that I wan't prepared to make the effort needed. Congratulations from me on finishing it not just once but twice!

You're right about the Revell parts. If you clean up the EE stabs, engines and undercarriage they are interchangeable with the Revell equivalents. The thing I couldn't figure was why EE moved the join between the wing halves to the upper surface instead of just cloning the Revell wings since they had cloned almost everything else. It takes a special kind of skill to turn a good kit like the Revell A319 into a mess like the EE A318! The Boeing 737s must be truly awful if they are worse.

According to Planespotters.net Tarom still has four A318s. I'm planning to model one eventually but I'll be using a converted Revell A319.

:goodjob:

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

Thats what also came to my mind.

No idea what EE was thinking.Also to divde the wing box and this not even with a middleseam.

With my BA build I had trouble getting the two underwing parts together flush.

With the Avianca build,I glued a piece of plastic sheet into the wingbox to strengthen and aligning the two parts.That way almost no sanding was required.

Thank you for the info on the A318.I was not aware that Tarom still uses the type.

Sad,that the baby bus did not make it on the market.I kind of like that chubby little bird 

Edited by Alex1978

50 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Thanks for sharing Alex.

Really like the Avianca markings, but then I was always a sucker for their "red-top" 707s

mike

True,those 70s liveries were spot on

• Alex1978 changed the title to Airbus A 318s British Airways , Avianca, Eastern Express 1/144