MiG-23UB Hungarian AF

Hello all

Finished alongside the IL-14 Last week (I build in batches) is my MiG-23UB.

On first looking into the box the moulding and detail looks quite reasonable. On closer inspection it became apparent that other than the pitot there were no aerials or probes supplied with the kit!. Why???.

Regarding the build the fit was poor and the decals were out of register. The front wheel guard was too small and was discarded.

I made the aerial and probes on the nose from brass and plastic card. The seats are from Pavla. This was the first time I’ve used Blutack worms for a five colour scheme in 1/72 and I think I will hand paint next time. (far too fiddly).

I would be interested in hearing other people’s comments regarding this kit as I was far from impressed.

Well, here it is.

Cheers

Pete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking. Pete

• Like 38

17 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

On closer inspection it became apparent that other than the pitot there were no aerials or probes supplied with the kit!. Why???.

Because these items are all photoetch in the original RV boxings.

Nice work on the Flogger!

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Beautiful job Pete!  The camo scheme is well done and the colors are unusual.  Don't see a lot of Hungarian planes so it's nice to have a change! :)  

I've got a Hasegawa Mig-23 that may be my next build -- I plan to make it East German.

Despite your misgivings on the kit, the issues are not obvious... you did a terrific job.

• Thanks 1

Hello there,

As a Hungarian guy I can tell that the build is quite convincing. The colours are OK but honestly it was fading that almost any gren/sand/brown would fit depending on the era you consider as the subject of the build.

Nice job, really.

Regards, Laz

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

Unimpressive kit maybe, very impressive result nonetheless.

Agreed.  Looking at the model no one would ever believe you had any problems with it, it's very nice indeed.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hook said:

Because these items are all photoetch in the original RV boxings.

Nice work on the Flogger

Thanks Andre. I did have my suspicions as the sprues looked the same as the RS offering. But even so, in my opinion I don't think parts integral to the real aircraft should be just left out! You shouldn't have to source aftermarket products or scratch build in order to finish a model.

Cheers

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thanks Andre. I did have my suspicions as the sprues looked the same as the RS offering. But even so, in my opinion I don't think parts integral to the real aircraft should be just left out! You shouldn't have to source aftermarket products or scratch build in order to finish a model.

I totally agree! 

Looking at the KP instructions, it looks like their idea is to simply fit the MiG-23UB spine on top of the existing spine on the upper fuselage - how did that work out for you? On my in progress RV UB I ended up removing the existing spine in order to fit the UB one. 

Cheers,

Andre

23 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Very very nicely build don't see too many twin stick floggers 

Thanks Eamonn. I tend to model the 2 seaters of any aircraft type if possible, they really appeal to me.

22 hours ago, swralph said:

Looks very nice to me.😀

Thanks.

22 hours ago, John Masters said:

Perfect!

Thank you John.

21 hours ago, PhantomLover said:

Don't know about the quality of this kit, but your Mig certainly looks the part!

Many thanks.

20 hours ago, opus999 said:

Beautiful job Pete!  The camo scheme is well done and the colors are unusual.  Don't see a lot of Hungarian planes so it's nice to have a change! :)  

I've got a Hasegawa Mig-23 that may be my next build -- I plan to make it East German.

Despite your misgivings on the kit, the issues are not obvious... you did a terrific job

Thank you. The Hasagawa kit will look the bis in East German colours, I look forward to seeing it here.

19 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Congratulations for fighting through all of the difficulties to produce a fine replica of the rarely seen two-seat Flogger.  Good work Pete!!! :clap2:

Thanks Mike

19 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Really nice work on the 2-seat Flogger, despite the limitations of the KP kit.  Nice work Pete!

Thank you very much.

16 hours ago, Tripio said:

As a Hungarian guy I can tell that the build is quite convincing. The colours are OK but honestly it was fading that almost any gren/sand/brown would fit depending on the era you consider as the subject of the build.

Thanks Laz, Its great to get feedback from the home turf of the aircraft.

14 hours ago, mark.au said:

Unimpressive kit maybe, very impressive result nonetheless.

Thanks Mark.

7 hours ago, Natter said:

Agreed.  Looking at the model no one would ever believe you had any problems with it, it's very nice indeed

Thanks Dave.

7 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

I built the original RV boxing a while back and yeah, the fit wasn’t great but it and the Artmodel kits are it for the two seater. 

Cheers Ryan. Yes shame about the fit, we could do with a nice brand new moulding from Zvezda maybe.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Excellent piece of modelling well done 👏

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Looking at the KP instructions, it looks like their idea is to simply fit the MiG-23UB spine on top of the existing spine on the upper fuselage - how did that work out for you? On my in progress RV UB I ended up removing the existing spine in order to fit the UB one.

Exactly the same Andre, I had to remove the existing spine in total and thin down the trailing end of the new one to make it fit. The new fin also needed surgery to make that fit flush to the new spine, followed by lots of filler. The intakes and swing wing housing were problem areas as well. On a good note the transparencies were excellent.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

interesting colors for a Hungarian one!

this seems to be the one:

12 hours ago, Tripio said:

nteresting colours, definitely.

As I mentioned, depending on the era, it can be also some kind of yellowish green.

Check the link:

Thanks to you both for posting the links, great photos. What a difference a few years in the sun makes to the finish.😎

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Hello all

Finished alongside the IL-14 Last week (I build in batches) is my MiG-23UB.

On first looking into the box the moulding and detail looks quite reasonable. On closer inspection it became apparent that other than the pitot there were no aerials or probes supplied with the kit!. Why???.

Regarding the build the fit was poor and the decals were out of register. The front wheel guard was too small and was discarded.

I made the aerial and probes on the nose from brass and plastic card. The seats are from Pavla. This was the first time I’ve used Blutack worms for a five colour scheme in 1/72 and I think I will hand paint next time. (far too fiddly).

I would be interested in hearing other people’s comments regarding this kit as I was far from impressed.

Well, here it is.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for looking. Pete

Greetings, Pete firstly I would say it again you are a brave soul, and we should all meet up who have built this kit and have some beers and bitch about it haha. I had the same impression first impression wow then meh. I think I will I have to work with Pitot tube and spine antenna. The front wheels, I thought I was the one making mistake with the mug guard now i kow I wasn't I broke the strut and have to painfully fix it again. I made a mistake intake splitter plates it should be parallel but it is not, I guess I will have to live with that. 
Awesome, job should have read yr article before attempting my adventure, cheers

• Like 2