Spitfire Mk.Vb EN951, Jan Zumbach

Hi

I started this kit way back in 2018 but Mojo loss helped stall this build for a long time  but I have been finishing some stalled builds this year and got the Mojo back for this one.

The Kit needed to be modified due to the fuselage spine being too rounded and a wanted add for some canopy bits and some kind gestures by @Nick Belbin and @fightersweepre canopy parts and a generous trade with @trickydicky210 netted a Revell MkII for donor parts. Thank you guys. I also need to thank you guys on the questions about Spitfires thread especially @303sqn who provided some cracking photos.   Thanks also must go to @Dunny and @Biggles87without who'm  this build would have stopped completely so thanks guys. If I have forgotten anyone then sorry , I am getting old !!!

The fuselage was modified with square section plastic rid and the Revell rear canopy fitted perfectly.  The cockpit interior is part scratch and part revell donor and cross kitting  with the HB kit as they have squashed their cockpit internals and it looks weird. Quickboost details and seat and Eduard belts were also used along with various sized lead wire and fuse wire were used for wiring and plumbing.

U/C bays were modified with some plastic rid and the legs and doors were spruced up with some home made extras.  The Revell tail wheel was also used as the kit one was just wrong.

Aluminium cannon muzzles and fairings were used and a grey matters prop and spinner purchased.  The spinner was squewed and attempts to correct broke it and another set was just tge same so Spinner taken from a Hasegawa  kit that I am converting into a Prototype model was used instead. 

Painted by brush using Humbrol enamels and  weathered with oil washes and silver pencils .  The mirror on this one us very unique  and the mount was scratchbuilt using the kit mirror. 

Anyway enough waffle here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to those who have offered support and encouragement along this long long journey. 

I hope you like it.

Merry Christmas 

Chris

• Like 62
  • Thanks 2

That's Bl***y fantastic Chris and very timely I've just got the North Africa boxing for a foray into 1/32 building for Christmas so bookmarking

the WIP for the start over the hols!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Subtle weathering.  Nicely done, Chris.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis 

4 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build.😀

Very kind thanks 

1 hour ago, PhantomLover said:

Wonderful build. Love that nose art as well, also on pics of the real plane! 

Thank you

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

That's Bl***y fantastic Chris and very timely I've just got the North Africa boxing for a foray into 1/32 building for Christmas so bookmarking

the WIP for the start over the hols!

Thanks Steve kind of you to say, good luck with your one.  Their cockpit is very weird and squashed down. 

Thanks for your kind comments guys

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Beautiful!  It looks so realistic!  The weathering is spot-on and your attention to detail is impressive.  I love Zumbach's plane -- I built one myself (but 1/72).  Great job!

Thank you very much, very kind of you, it was one of the two decal options and has always fascinated me.  I wanted to do it justice and the kit was full of errors so they had to be corrected. The fit is very good though.

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

That's lovely.  It's a great advertisement for brush-painting, I must say.  Another thing to aspire to!

Thanks JRK  very kind, I don't have an airbrush yet, one day maybe!!!

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Outstanding work, Chris. Well done for your perseverance. 

Thank you Vinnie kind of you, tge Mojo was sapped a bit and it stalled fir a while.  I saw others doing stalled builds and so got inspired to do a few myself and picked it up again. Glad I did. 

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

I`m glad that you got your “mojo” back for this one Chris because it turned out great!!!!!!! :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike me too fella, I am very pleased with the way it turned out, although it might be a while before I do another Spitfire.   Got some yellow Twins to do next from Avro and Lockheed. 

1 hour ago, Epeeman said:

Wow! - excellent model work - well done, mate!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave very kind of you fella. 

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Beautiful indeed!

Thanks John

Thanks guys for all your kind comments 

Chris 

• Like 2

That’s an extremely good example of modelling Chris, the cockpit looks so realistic I reckon I could probably squeeze myself in there and take it for a spin! The engine oil splatter weathering is a great subtle touch as well and adds so much more to the overall realism of this great WW2 pilot and subject. 

Cheers and very well done.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Great result Chris.  I went back to the beginning of the WIP and saw the work to fix the spine and cockpit; your finished Spitfire certainly justified the effort.  As Rabbit remarked, the oil leak is a great finishing touch to an overall lovely model.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Niiiice 

Thanks RMCS

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s an extremely good example of modelling Chris, the cockpit looks so realistic I reckon I could probably squeeze myself in there and take it for a spin! The engine oil splatter weathering is a great subtle touch as well and adds so much more to the overall realism of this great WW2 pilot and subject. 

Cheers and very well done.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, hope your are keeping well.   The HB cockpit was just plain weird and all squashed,  lucky criss kitting with the Revell MkII was fairly straightforward with some lovely Barracuda extras and some scratch work it really came to life and I am really pleased with the way it came out.  The images show it as a well used machine with lots of streaks underneath and splashes on the front top fuselage too, I really like the scratched cockpit canopy framing as its almost devoid of paint in a lot of places.  Thanks for your kind comments fella. 

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Great result Chris.  I went back to the beginning of the WIP and saw the work to fix the spine and cockpit; your finished Spitfire certainly justified the effort.  As Rabbit remarked, the oil leak is a great finishing touch to an overall lovely model.

Hi Mark  thank you, you are very kind, it was a lot of work but well worth it,  got  a few more large scale Spits in the stash inc a Prototype conversion and seafires too and a XIV conversion too, my word i might leave them for a while.  I am pleased with the streaking and splashes , I was nervous about doing the latter. Thanks fella.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi

I started this kit way back in 2018 but Mojo loss helped stall this build for a long time  but I have been finishing some stalled builds this year and got the Mojo back for this one.

The Kit needed to be modified due to the fuselage spine being too rounded and a wanted add for some canopy bits and some kind gestures by @Nick Belbin and @fightersweepre canopy parts and a generous trade with @trickydicky210 netted a Revell MkII for donor parts. Thank you guys. I also need to thank you guys on the questions about Spitfires thread especially @303sqn who provided some cracking photos.   Thanks also must go to @Dunny and @Biggles87without who'm  this build would have stopped completely so thanks guys. If I have forgotten anyone then sorry , I am getting old !!!

The fuselage was modified with square section plastic rid and the Revell rear canopy fitted perfectly.  The cockpit interior is part scratch and part revell donor and cross kitting  with the HB kit as they have squashed their cockpit internals and it looks weird. Quickboost details and seat and Eduard belts were also used along with various sized lead wire and fuse wire were used for wiring and plumbing.

U/C bays were modified with some plastic rid and the legs and doors were spruced up with some home made extras.  The Revell tail wheel was also used as the kit one was just wrong.

Aluminium cannon muzzles and fairings were used and a grey matters prop and spinner purchased.  The spinner was squewed and attempts to correct broke it and another set was just tge same so Spinner taken from a Hasegawa  kit that I am converting into a Prototype model was used instead. 

Painted by brush using Humbrol enamels and  weathered with oil washes and silver pencils .  The mirror on this one us very unique  and the mount was scratchbuilt using the kit mirror. 

Anyway enough waffle here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to those who have offered support and encouragement along this long long journey. 

I hope you like it.

Merry Christmas 

Chris

Chris,

That is superb work - that should take pride of place in your yearbook! 

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

That's a great looking Spitfire, well done on the finish and the weathering- You've done a marvellous job on the paint wear, the exhaust staining and the various leaks and stains. The Tyres on the wheels are excellent- you can almost smell the oil and cordite on her. 

I hope to get some time at the bench during the festive period and hope it approaches your standard. 

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

• Thanks 1