Hasegawa F-106 Delta Dart - 1/72

Dave_R

Hi All,

I couldn't let an Interceptor GB go by without building an F-106.  The Hasegawa kit is an old one - but with a bit of work I think it can be made to look fairly respectable and I like the Massachusetts ANG decals.

F-106+01.JPG

F-106+02.JPG

F-106+03.JPG

Dave.

• Like 6

Hi All,

I've got the cockpit done.

F-106+04.JPG

I've attempted to improve the very basic original cockpit a bit.  I've replaced the seat with one from a Hasegawa Starfighter, which I've made to look a bit more like an F-106 seat.  I've also built up the sides a bit.

Dave.

• Like 4

Hi All,

The main construction is done.

F-106+05.JPG

F-106+06.JPG

As expected there's some pretty horrendous gaps to be filled.

F-106+07.JPG

The gaps are no worse than I expected and I should be able to sort them out.  I've scribed in the panel lines - I just can't live with raised panel lines, I'd rather have nothing at all.

Dave.

• Like 6

Nice job on the scribing Dave. A lot of the raised lines would have been lost during the filling and sanding phase anyway so it's worthwhile work for a nice end result.

The review in D&S mentions the difficulty closing up the missile bay, and I can see what they mean - at least the Dart only had 4 doors - the Dagger had 6 - I am really glad I got the Aeroclub replacements when they were still available!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Hi All,

After a lot of filler and sanding it's ready for primer.

F-106+08.JPG

F-106+09.JPG

The main problem area has been dealt with - it took three or four goes with filler to get it done, but it's OK now.

F-106+10.JPG

And thanks to PeterB's photo in his thread of the refuelling receptacle I've hacked out a hole, inserted some plasticard and built up the sides.

F-106+12.JPG          F-106+11.JPG

So priming will now have to wait till I can get to Poundland for their £1 a can primer - I've got to head out that way on the 17th Jan. so there maybe a little pause in progress.

Dave.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Col. said:

This one has come together well Dave. A delay 'til 17th you say? Time to fit in another project ;) 

Well, funny you should say that there will soon be a Typhoon on it's way courtesy of Jadlam... and I've got a P-40 and a Defiant in the stash, so I could have four or five kits sitting waiting for primer - (or I could get off my ar$e and make a special trip to Poundland in the wind and rain - it's not that far away).

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Coming along nicely Dave,

Hope your decs are a bit more robust than mine!

Pete

I think the decals will be fine - they've still got that new decal smell - I got this kit from Poland and it's fresh from Japan. I was quite impressed that I got the kit in five working days from Poland for a reasonable P&P charge of about £4 and with a small saving on the purchase price.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Sounds good. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from the former Eastern European countries over the last few years and it is often cheaper than buying them over here through shops. Their postage is as you say normally quite reasonable and fast.

Cheers

Pete

• 3 weeks later...