Finnish/Russian Hurricane

Smithy1961

32 minutes ago, Smithy1961 said:

For my next project I'm looking to do a Mk1 version, Which is the best build OOB from those on the market?

Scale?

Also, you title is Finnish/Russian Hurricane.   The Finns had 10 Mk.I Hurricanes,   (they bought 12 but 2 crashed on the way)  but have another made from 2 salvaged Soviet Hurricanes.

Note ALL Soviet Hurricanes were Mk.II's (and a few Mk.IV's)

That is a separate topic.   I can provide info if you need.   Note the VVS got nearly 3000 Hurricanes,  It is a complex subject.

The following is assuming you mean a Finnish Hurricane Mk.I

In 72nd, Arma Hobby do a boxing of their Mk.I with Finnish markings, and that's the best OOB option in 72nd for metal wing mk.I

A few of the Finnish Hurricanes were fabric winged though.  For that, Airfix.

In 1/48th,  the new tool Airfix.  

Fly models do a 1/32nd Hurricane Mk.I with Finnish decals.

NOTE - the Finnish Hurricanes are all from the N**** serial batch, which was the 2nd Hawker batch built..    The kits are standard Mk.I kits. 

Finnish Hurricanes all have the De Havilland Spitfire prop/spinner and 5 spoke wheels, and no 2nd access panel on the starboard side..  The above kits don't have these details. 

They have similar spinner in the kits, of they can be got from a Spitfire kit (they often have multiple props so spares are easy to find)  and 5 spoke wheels can be sourced, or these maybe small details for you that they are not a concern. 

HTH

you then posted this,  as a separate thread , note, you can edit posts,  look for the three dots, and click the centre dot.

15 minutes ago, Smithy1961 said:

For my next project I'm looking to do a 1/48 Mk1 version, Which is the best build OOB from those on the market?

answer above. you will need AM decals.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smithy1961 said:

As I am looking to do a Finnish scheme first I guess the Airfix kit is the way to go. What mods will I need to do to make it accurate?

Specific detail for a metal wing Finnish Mk.I, or corrections of the base kit? 

Finnish specific.

Get a De Havilland Spitfire prop, it's an alternate in various kits.  It was the DH unit in the old tool Airifx mk.I,  and is one of the alternate  props in the new Airfix Spitfire Mk.i/II kit,  and I think in the Eduard Mk.I kit.  the Spitfire nose ring is bigger than the Hurricane, which is why the spinner is a bit to wide for the nose ring.

The DH Hurricane unit is the right size.

Get 5 spoke wheel hubs,   though the Airfix wheels are a bit too big, so some AM replacement maybe easiest.

the rectangular  2nd fabric panel, is the sort of thing probably best left alone, simply as filling it is likely to mess up the kit fabric, possibly something like Mr Surfacer and then remove the excess with a cotton bud,  but one not  to be attempted lightly, as easy to just make a mess which will look awful.   

This thread deals with the problems of the Airfix kit

To be honest,   if you are not a detail nut,  the above is really specific detail, and fixes will depend on budget and spares,    so you might well have the right prop in your spares,  and if the tyre size is not a problem,  you could just replace the wheels hubs with some leftover eduard Mk.IX kit ones, as that has both 4 and 5 spoke as options, and they are the same size.

HTH