Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito FBVI - an old kit ( 07100 )

Was gifted this kit by a mate some months ago and after chancing upon " 633 Squadron "  on the telly a couple of weeks ago, I decided to look it out and give it a go. An old kit and not much detail but enjoyable all the same. Spent some time trying to get the various parts to fit together cleanly but this took some trial and error and plenty of filler...

Happy that the kit still included some crew and had fun giving them a bit of character ... which is what modelling is all about at the moment ... " fun " :)

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Not a lot of detail inside the cockpit and no decals for the IP so artistic licence and various paint effect used to give some interest.

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Along with the kit was some resin parts, including various flaps, interior canon detail and the front nose guns. I decided to only use the front guns but they are quite flimsy so may not last my ham fisted build process. Sourced a canopy mask online as well as some better decals. 

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Such an iconic looking airframe ...

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

I plan either to make my own stand or hang the model from the ceiling so its wheels up and using prop blur... its not everyone's favourite but I like the effect.

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

All together now, canopy fitted using Krystal Klear ( 1st time ) and used some recently acquired Vallejo Plastic Putty, which in my opinion is brilliant stuff. Airframe all primed and pre shaded...

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

The white bits of plastic sticking out of each engine nacelle are just to have something to attach the prop blur to. I had the 3 prop versions and single blade versions so opted for the easier 3 blade version with a central hub. 

Airfix 1/48 Mosquito

20201211_223438

That's it for now , was going to paint the model in standard camouflage but quite like the Coastal Command colours of late 44-45, with the dark sea grey upper and sky underside but most of these aircraft had the rockets attached under the outer wings and I've already gone and attached the basic bomb racks on.  The kit has decals for both, so I'll decide later at my next bench time.

An old kit but satisfying. Cheerio :)

ps - as expected, I snapped the resin front guns, so will fit the standard kit ones... just need a bit of paint trickery to get them looking better !!

• Like 12

Cheers Chris  ..  Spitfire looked fabulous btw.   Prop blur isn't to everyone's taste but I like it and neither is how I do my demarcation lines with regards camouflage. I don't think that feathered edges in this scale works, it is just too small a model for this effect. 1/32 or less then yes, but again it is just my opinion and with that ....

sprayed the extra dark green lightly but still managed to paint over the pre shading, with this colour there is a fine line between just enough and too much, I think I went too much but then again, I've got to remember that it is mainly a wooden aircraft and as such, not a lot of panel lines.

Green on

This is the method I prefer using, tracing the outline of the camo lines and using a sharp blade, cut the masking tape  to the required pattern. Time consuming but easiest for me.

Green on

The finished results ....

Green on

Green on

Green on

Camouflage for me is always quite tricky to get right, especially if you spend too much time looking up the patterns on the old interweb !! .. so much choice and variation , so I tried to follow the old old airfix instructions. Next step,.. medium grey(ish) !!

Cheers

B

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok .. turned out just fine. Not much else to add, will just leave it all to dry properly over the next few days then high gloss ready for decals etc..

Top coat finish

Top coat finish

Top coat finish

Top coat finish

Pictures taken under artificial light but the variations and subtle tones do stand out under natural light.

• Like 7

Looking very nice indeed, great work.   Thanks for the compliment for the Spitfire too, very kind.  I know what you mean re the demarcation lines.  I am lucky in that I brushpaint and can vary the demarcation thickness easily with the brush.  I am not lucky with the panel lines as can never prepaint so I always post shade or tone each panel.   Takes time but worth the effort.  I will learn to Airbrush one day !!!

Chris

• Like 1

Afternoon !! .... before the clear coat went on, I wanted to apply some staining around the engine exhausts so I used some wash and with the tip of the airbrush, I blew the mixture through the front of the exhaust manifold cover and quite please with the effect of the " dark dirt " blown out of the back ..

Mossie prop blur

Next was a quick coat of " Klear " to seal the paint then after it had dried , I applied some high gloss for the decal stage ..

Mossie prop blur

The prop blur were then painted yellow at the end, after discovering that my jar of Vallejo yellow had dried up. A rummage around and I found a tube of artists yellow acrylic and after mixing it with water ( no good ) and some Humbrol thinners, it was good enough to spray ...

Mossie prop blur

Found that I'd kept this from a previous build..

Mossie prop blur

Looks a bit bright under the lights but should tone down once post shading and weathering is applied later. Next up .. decals, not my favourite part of any build but thankfully not too many on this kit.

Cheerio :)

• Like 6

This looks lovely, nice colours too. I like how the nav looks like he's desperately trying to find a landmark from his map!

It looks great how it was matt then turned glossy, how do you do that? I'll need to do it on Meteors as I only have Tamiya matt or satin spray cans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

This looks lovely, nice colours too. I like how the nav looks like he's desperately trying to find a landmark from his map!

It looks great how it was matt then turned glossy, how do you do that? I'll need to do it on Meteors as I only have Tamiya matt or satin spray cans.

The gloss is just due to the Humbrol gloss that has been sprayed on, in preparation for the decals. Once they are applied, I'll re cover with matt varnish :)

A few pics of where I'm currently at. Decals applied and "Micro Sol " used. Old decals and not as crisp as latest generation with some overlap showing due to the printing process. 

Not a major issue as I'd already decided on a heavily weathered aircraft. 

So without further ado ... the pictures...

Decal on

Decal on

Decal on

The next four pictures are after the Mossie has been made dirty. Sprayed a combination of water/pastel chalk & " Flory" dark wash. Slowly and lightly to build up the desired effect.

Thereafter sealed in with flat vallejo clear...

Mossie top coat

Mossie top coat

Mossie top coat

Mossie top coat

Just the props to add and a couple of other small delicate parts...Then its RFI 🤞👍

For now HHGH in the cup final. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very nice indeed can't wait to see this with the props on .

Cracking work. 

Chris

Cheers Chris ... just a wee preview since you asked :) , the aircraft jacks are definitely not standard 😉.....

Props n stilts

I like Prop Blur !!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Cheers Chris ... just a wee preview since you asked :) , the aircraft jacks are definitely not standard 😉.....

Props n stilts

I like Prop Blur !!

Oh yes thanks for the sneaky peek,  ggat looks great.  I might have to try some of these. Only trouble is  I would have to paint a pilot, I don't usually  include or paint the crews!!!

Great job 

Chris

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes thanks for the sneaky peek,  ggat looks great.  I might have to try some of these. Only trouble is  I would have to paint a pilot, I don't usually  include or paint the crews!!!

Great job 

Chris

Cheers Chris, I like adding the crews but very rare that any kit has them included. I'd suggest holding onto any you have, for when the fancy takes you. Easy enough to paint up for whatever service you require. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Cheers Chris, I like adding the crews but very rare that any kit has them included. I'd suggest holding onto any you have, for when the fancy takes you. Easy enough to paint up for whatever service you require. 

No worries.  Yes I may have some  somewhere.  I will have to have a think there.

Chris