Hobbyboss 1/350 Dunkerque

S-boat 55

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

I'll see if you can guess what it is,

Gidday Sam, Vittorio Veneto class battleship? And I think it would be a shame to cover those benches in the boats.   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Sam, Vittorio Veneto class battleship? And I think it would be a shame to cover those benches in the boats.   Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

You're too good...spot on..its Littorio, 

• Thanks 1

Decided now to just work area by area and finish bits off, divided the model into 5 areas and figured why not start and the end and do the stern first, so a couple of short stints at the bench have brought me rapidly forward. Started trying to form the top rail cover as mentioned earlier in the thread, with some limited success, it doesn't fully hold the shape but enough to later fix in place and not distort (hopefully). 

y4mZ7dWfjTTOhWwEcpZa74n1gAj1RO-AEcAeQ6_H

The railing is nicked from my Repulse kit as i plan to get eh upgrade for her anyway so its technically spare anyway. I picked up a pair of Xuron PE cutters - my life are they good! to cut and shape the rails was a 1/3 of the time having the PE bender and cutters, I can see why people recommend them. I discovered that where HB would have you put the crane doesn't allow it to rotate, not technically its a fixed part anyway but it wouldn't look right so removed the raised fitting for it and drilled a hole, fixed a chopped up bit of the kits barrels and used that as a pin to allow it to rotate as well, 

y4mImA7CI4fahUsGolTdpgo6n4XoJ9Kojqm2uV_x

The crane is too heavy though and so leans and i had to fix it in place anyway, gave the hanger door a wash and fitted some more railing in place and here is where she is at, 

y4mYF_5FjBHoKLd1_VAypPKR_dD7IPx7mWuFfdLp

Apologies the photo is really dark for some reason, just the top rail, plane and final touch up to go and then this bit is finished, 

Where to people stand on decal flags? do they tend to look good or poor? are pe ones any better?

Thanks

Sam

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Where to people stand on decal flags? do they tend to look good or poor? are pe ones any better?

I’ve used a couple of decal flags, they look ok, but I really struggle to get them to fold evenly WITHOUT disintegrating. Can’t comment on the PE ones, as I’ve never used them.
Jon

• Thanks 1

2 hours! - 2 hours to do this, I mean its an improvement for sure, but two hours, 

Recycled - i.e. chopped up hand rail used as struts, the engine on top the wing should really be on a better looking structure than the plastic 'pin' but i cant face it, plus wouldn't really know what to do, 

y4mbJuv-QlPj8EVVMUEcPfTt0E6Q0wVlyLM4t6yW

y4mAPE8yUl10Gl6nIW1rKvmRIWtwfWH8lskM3RwR

y4mXEfo6sNTtTS6mZqUqlgPVT5OwwKQSYhX_OzPq

Thanks for looking in, 

Sam

• Like 6

I think you are incredibly brave, to hold it with tweezers. Had that been me, it’d pinged off, done a circuit and bumps across my bench and disappeared into the wild blue yonder.:doh: Never to be seen again, honestly, I really believe the Bermuda Triangle is under my bench.

Nice build though.

Jon

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours might seem long but what an end result - I'd be very happy with that myself. And got to echo Jon's warnings, although myself - I would break it with the tweezers prior to it flying off to the great unknown and in a haste to find it wipe out the rest of the build on the 'workbench' (aka the kitchen table).

David

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

2 hours might seem long but what an end result - I'd be very happy with that myself. And got to echo Jon's warnings, although myself - I would break it with the tweezers prior to it flying off to the great unknown and in a haste to find it wipe out the rest of the build on the 'workbench' (aka the kitchen table).

David

I must confess I very nearly knocked her off her the desk the other day not paying attention swapping back to 'office' from hobby bench

So her planes were a 'silver' brushed metal effect, that'll certainly make it stand out when its all together, I slapped on some humbrol 11 and let it dry, then tried to tone it down with a dark grey wash, figured that'd be fine as its a satiny finish any way so no need to gloss coat it first...yeah not so much, so after a second coat of silver this is where the plane is at,  

y4m_tXQoE8CCHvguxvpuSs6kYgzthRWtw1_wsGJR

When all the panel lines are highlighted and the windows done i think she'll come good, definitely going to stand out though, 

y4mknhInJBqTOW4LQn9JI0A0ryVctxGqfyL5-auV

Aside that its just been railings, 

y4mb3b0H86UZi5c088jwGFsd5V1DolunnIzfm2iJ

y4m4vc8a1vbdEMg8V0HAqyuU2z1eA5kt75es_C2d

This one along the deck is made of five sections, pretty chuffed with the result

y4mxfj3Y6P9_1oX0WdepmPMzK2eOIonp1vOk3E4n

Not so happy with the cranes though, the photo etch just wouldn't fix so I had to overlap it much more that it should be, doesn't look great and there are still a couple bits to go on them but wanted them in place before I did added them,

y4m9s1ZFwXw0TTGX33P_90yzWmh77b5Jbbq7MUZX

Not sure how many more updates really for this one, getting pretty close to finished finally, 

Sam

• Like 3

Oh and some one please tell me to see sense and not pick up her sister Strasbourg, I love the idea of having a pair sitting with each other but I know I'll get bored mid way doing essentially the same thing again, 

27 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Oh and some one please tell me to see sense and not pick up her sister Strasbourg, I love the idea of having a pair sitting with each other but I know I'll get bored mid way doing essentially the same thing again, 

I know what you mean, I just cannot get enthusiastic about doing two of the same. I think that's why I moved over to ship building, one tank or aeroplane is much like another. I know that is probably an heretical statement to any AFV and Aeroplane maker, but it's me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Gidday Sam, why not do a Scharnhorst or Gneisenau instead, as potential adversaries? 🙂 I'm sure you would do a very good job of them.

14 hours ago, Faraway said:

I know that is probably an heretical statement to any AFV and Aeroplane maker, but it's me.

Oh, and Solderman you know the penalty for heresy? It involves a large stake imbedded in the ground, a pile of brushwood and a box of matches. 😁 Fortunately, here in the maritime section you're among the converted. 😇

And back to your model Sam, I think you have every right to be chuffed with those railings, they look very good. Those cranes look fine to me, also. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Sam, why not do a Scharnhorst or Gneisenau instead, as potential adversaries? 🙂 I'm sure you would do a very good job of them. 

Thanks for the compliment Jeff, 

Re scharnhorst now you've said it that sounds a good idea, as you know I'm tickling a bit with Littorio and Scharnhorst would be another treaty ship thinking on it, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

This is a good point, certainly friends who had a falling out, but I've something coming in the post soon that I expect will pull my attention straight away, 

Intriguing 

Just to prove I've not forgotten this one I did a bit on her the other night and this morning, finally got around to putting the 'wooden' bannister on top of the stern railing, it took a couple of attempts, I used evergreens 0.25x0.5mm strip, it was fiddly but not to bad when I finally on the 5th attempt got one end stuck on. I tried pre-shaping it but under heat it just deformed and then went back largely to how it was to begin with. Still needs painting on the top but I decided to risk that when it was in situ to make sure it stuck well, 

y4m9f733K2ryy7aUV_sy0rNyPdrEndmIVvMXPW4I

y4mCx0NfDHLJlLXtGvmnhNFri_H3nGz_S3DYVFj1

y4mCiVKvjSn4W657BXyNXwP4mszVUz1T_LtA_lR6

thanks

Sam

• Like 9

Very interesting detail, I like very much your precision and attitude toward tiny and interesting details!

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 12:06 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Thanks Michael, I'll confess I can be a bit ana.... I mean of a perfectionist which is self defeating at times, 

Yes I think most of us ship builders can relate to that it is looking rather good though nearly there. 👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

If interested there is a Australian manufacturer that does highest quality fabric flags in 1/350 scale , that were used on the Trumpeter HMS Hood to fine effect .

Its Accurate Model Parts  ( AMP ) 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 73north said:

If interested there is a Australian manufacturer that does highest quality fabric flags in 1/350 scale , that were used on the Trumpeter HMS Hood to fine effect .

Its Accurate Model Parts  ( AMP ) 

I just checked the AMP website, and they no longer supply the UK. Hey ho.

Jon

• Like 1