Hobbyboss 1/350 Dunkerque

S-boat 55

Sorry , I had ordered my AMP set before Brexit for the 1/350 Hood and the Ark Royal 

back in early 2019 to cheer myself up after divorce , try the BECC fabric flags if you are doing a French warship , I used one on the Tamiya 1/350 ‘ Yukikaze ‘ 

and it was far superior to a decal flag . Not dear either although the White Ensign BECC Flags weren’t as crisply printed as the Australian ones , perhaps an Australian 🇳🇿modeller can help you here , and order one for you and post it to you ( you pay him ) ? 

3 hours ago, 73north said:

Sorry , I had ordered my AMP set before Brexit for the 1/350 Hood and the Ark Royal 

back in early 2019 to cheer myself up after divorce , try the BECC fabric flags if you are doing a French warship , I used one on the Tamiya 1/350 ‘ Yukikaze ‘ 

and it was far superior to a decal flag . Not dear either although the White Ensign BECC Flags weren’t as crisply printed as the Australian ones , perhaps an Australian 🇳🇿modeller can help you here , and order one for you and post it to you ( you pay him ) ? 

If some one were feeling very helpful that'd be handy,  if not I figured the turrets do make it pretty clear where she's from lol

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

S-boat,

Way back in your first post there's a pic of three hulls.

What's the back one?

Tom

Hi Tom,

That's a Heller 1/400 Prince of Wales that I found in the loft,  it's since become an experiment piece where I try out new paint for colour or how gloss the glosscote I got was or if the top coat i got would react with it etc, when I eventually get an airbrush it'll be te test bench for that as well I guess

Thanks

Sam

• 1 month later...

So figured it was about time to stop ignoring Dunkerque, she was giving me the eye from the cupboard so she now has her Loire on board, did the windows with a hb pencil - who knew!

y4msPt9tKvvCIuY0CfKIbXr8JpoaRO1CmujugrLW

y4mwxfQBlq4oCaacithxm-xFDr6FNykyHs6ZzdMv

y4mqxE4NvtKQKr50bYn_fqprVcm-C1dwe5oWVeaq

Thanks

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

So figured it was about time to stop ignoring Dunkerque, she was giving me the eye from the cupboard

Gidday Sam, you're right, you can't ignore a lady forever, particularly when she gives you the eye. The aircraft looks good on the catapult. So, what's next? 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Sam, you're right, you can't ignore a lady forever, particularly when she gives you the eye. The aircraft looks good on the catapult. So, what's next? 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Well apart from final touch up the forward deck is essentially finished as now is the rear deck, is it still a quarter deck if its dropped instead of raised?

So I'll work my way forward now finishing off bits as I go. Should be easier now I have the airbrush to do a matt coat instead of doing it progressively working bit by bit. 

All this is of course while I work on Taiho and Graf Zeppelin, so I'd say Dunky finished for Christmas and the others well somewhere between  now and the end of days, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

is it still a quarter deck if its dropped instead of raised?

Gidday, my guess would be yes. Although I think it originally got it's name from it's location and size I think it became synonymous with "Officer Country" at the rear of the ship. My view anyway. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well there is still a few little bits to do but not much. Training guns on the sides to the turrets on, 

y4mOqRRHhdEWGknBhv3jASyOrlBoVeelB3XFF7Xr

Tried my first bit of 'rigging' using ammo/uschi 0.01mm, its a fiddle and this is overly simplistic but as its th first time using it im going with the K.I.S.S method for now,

y4m1_UoJNTMC9d3-uSbuUN-1bcz81oHDpifI2h0I

Brush painting hasnt been too bad on these, they are tiny and bending the photo etch seat etc took near 15mins as its super delicate. As eve close ups aren't kind, I'm hoping that the general finish will improve as I get more practise. 

y4m-KZqNagi5T4C2nDE_j1ce4njiFNbzqbPdJJYH

All of the main rails are on and I think the next update will be when she is finished. Ive a few boats to finish off, assemble the aa guns, attach a few ready made parts then its touch up, rigging and a final 'dull coat' 

y4mzsDzx1zJh2Fc_yN8wnYSeabg_QAOfdf2zJTp2

Thanks for stopping in, 

Sam

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Tried my first bit of 'rigging' using ammo/uschi 0.01mm, its a fiddle and this is overly simplistic but as its th first time using it im going with the K.I.S.S method for now,

Have you seen these? Bob’s Buckles https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

If, unlike :doh:me, you remember to drill the hole and fit them BEFORE attaching the deck or superstructure, they make life SO much easier.

K.I.S.S works for me, I’ve yet to rig a ship with EVERY wire or rope.

How some of our fellow ship builders do it is beyond me and a lot of them do it in 1/700, :yikes:now that is a definite dark art.

Jon

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Have you seen these? Bob’s Buckles https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

If, unlike :doh:me, you remember to drill the hole and fit them BEFORE attaching the deck or superstructure, they make life SO much easier.

K.I.S.S works for me, I’ve yet to rig a ship with EVERY wire or rope.

How some of our fellow ship builders do it is beyond me and a lot of them do it in 1/700, :yikes:now that is a definite dark art.

Jon

I did get some of bonus finest, can't work out where I put them though, they'll turn up, I'm planning on using them on her 'crown' I didn't think of the deck fixings pre sticking it down...Will next time though,

The bigger issue is a stand for her, atm she's in the cupboard until I get something to have her out in but even then I forgot to drill holes in the hull to mount her on, can't really flip her upside down now....she may just have to sit on a plinth,

As for rigging in 1:700 - yeah think I'd pass on that one to be honest, 

Sam

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Rigging

Sam.

I have always rigged as the very last step.

So all painting, varnishing etc. has been done. I think trying to spray after rigging will probably increase the thickness of the 'wires' and you may even end up with blobs of varnish on the 'wires', which I would imagine would be impossible to remove.

And if that's a representation of what you are going to do with the rigging, well, my hat is off.:worthy:

Jon

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Sam.

I have always rigged as the very last step.

So all painting, varnishing etc. has been done. I think trying to spray after rigging will probably increase the thickness of the 'wires' and you may even end up with blobs of varnish on the 'wires', which I would imagine would be impossible to remove.

And if that's a representation of what you are going to do with the rigging, well, my hat is off.:worthy:

Jon

That's a very good point re the blobs, definitely don't want that, so as not to wait for clement weather I may well brush the matt cote, 

I'm aiming for rhe diagram, we'll see where it come out, I've got the fixings in place but doing it will be another thing all together. In hindsight fitting the fixings pre painting would have been a lot easier, 

Hopefully get more time tonight, and she may eventually make it to rfi, 

• Like 1