Hobbyboss 1/350 Dunkerque

S-boat 55

45 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, she looks good with all the parts fitted, albeit dry fitted. Is that a Tribal class in the background? Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, thanks she's certainly starting to come together, .. it is indeed, HMS Zulu, had a promotion at work so the wife got me a surprise, its a nice little kit, certainly small compared to the others I have but doing a little bit on her got my mojo back to get on with Dunkerque after I stalled. I know there are issues with the kit but thought I'd just knock it together OOB (+some extra railing) for a quick bit of fun, in an hour and a half I was to this stage;

y4mDlXxWDRr1a-5IPb176Per-dn5zUvypLRh7BN4

Problem is I'm now tempted to try and detail her up a bit, I know WEM do tribal class etch but I cant get on with their website and it would defeat the object of a keeping it simple really, might well do a second one and go for it more in the future, would make a nice companion piece to Hood and Warspite (both in the stash) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

I know WEM do tribal class etch but I cant get on with their website and it would defeat the object of a keeping it simple really,

Steve

have a look at Atlantic Models Peter Hall does a generic set of railings and ladders if you are just looking for some small refinements on the Tribal.

beefy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Steve

have a look at Atlantic Models Peter Hall does a generic set of railings and ladders if you are just looking for some small refinements on the Tribal.

beefy

I'll look them up thanks

What is this - 2 nights in  row! 

Last night was sorting this bit of photo etch railing, it was actually okay, I'd previously bent some of it a while back and then discovered my daughter had decided to 'help', to be fair it was only a bit bent so last night i decided to bite the bullet and get it done;

y4mq-sPGQDhIkmOpGxzfPzOb6HVq86-D7PZFN081

It didn't like being put on though and in the process having had to of been bent a few times one 90 degree corner gave up, then I ended up having to cut it so as the stanchions don't quite match up to the corners so one piece was now three but it came okay I think;

y4mvPMuklVgjt3Qcwp_h_0tdN2soPMVDXUF6K4wo

y4mK_E91mJNKrEvgq3usNEQKnUqMP6vLAeUUTAhZ

I tried side moutning the rail as that's what it was on the real thing, its certainly easier to get a good bind but harder to make sure its sitting true, 

Will it be three nights in a  row.... we'll see

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So a little progress, although it doesn't really show much, its largely just a case of a bit of paint here and there, 

y4mXWKqovxi-cqasJE9ZTjVnKHGuXaqZ-govmubo

I've pretty much all of the 'major parts painted now, (not that its taken months!), rather annoyingly though found one section of rear range finder that I'd missed! 

y4mQZ8TrjQGdwppYUI9aR0GkVKro4SeBAMDRwDRgy4m-nTAVaJ6qLr6YDrlgH1UP3mGEEKnd6MZfe35s

The lower half of the forward S/S is not fixed together properly, this week I'm hoping to finish painting, glosscote the front section of S/S and the Hull and then get the main areas pin wash done, 

• Like 6

Gidday S-boat, I've been wondering how you're getting on with this. A bit of paint is still progress. It's all I've done on mine the last couple of days.

I've a question for you regarding those three-level directors/rangefinders. If the lower director rotated onto a target did the others rotate automatically with it or were they always/sometimes  independent of each other? If the upper directors rotated along with the lower level it must have been frustrating to track independent targets.

She's looking very impressive. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff,

Those range finders are kind of what makes the ship in some ways with them sitting so high. Their height (the lowest was 30m above the water) was to avoid interference of smoke and the designers estimated that they would be virtually immune to receiving a direct hit/splints from hits. Given the heaviest was 40 tonnes adding a lot to the top wieght the designers must have been pretty sure of the benefits outweighing the affect on the ships stability/handling. The different directors handled different calibre guns, the fwd tower handled the main armament with the bottom director and then the top two handled the 130mm guns, the rear tower handled the main armament as well with the lower director and the one above the secondary armament again. So each would/could operate independent to the other. They also had range finders in the turrets themselves and a couple of the sides of the superstructure for specific night fighting. According to the book by Jordan and Dumas i read they put a lot of thought into the way these different positions would communicate and work in tandem and if one were lost how they would reassign primary responsibility. 

• Thanks 1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z4YbgErWrRtnvXVc6

Ah the try and a new link hasnt worked, apologies for the tease, I'll try and post pics later 

Edit: nope OneDrive isn't playing ball today, 

Edited by S-boat 55

So onedrive is working again - for now...... i think, 

Tried the tricolour marking on turret B, - hasnt gone wonderfully well, 

y4morR54gALEhSFeYfwoUJ0Qi8_BLh9nX3if-a8E

The lesson appears to be don't use generic modelling masking tape from hobbycraft, - never had this issue with Tamiya's so some 2mm is on its way to me, hopefully a second attempt will yield better results, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, those tram lines are very good, but talk about 'roads to nowhere'. 😀 Regards, Jeff.

Thanks, road to no where indeed! feels like Lock down lol

To be honest I'm not sure why the didn't bring the secondary mount a little further forward to allow the boats to site abreast of the centre superstructure, doubtless there was a reason design wise, 

So according to the Dumas book, Dunkerque and Strasbourg has Bollards that were white and black, I read this a while ago and so last night went off with my paint brush;

y4maQ52BcNhaIJ7x7dty_FYtSA-0pel5r_o--EHm

Now there are two small issues, 1) I don't care for how it looks 2) I got it the wrong way around, they were white base and sides with a black cap, 

I'm not sure i can be faffed with going back and masking to paint them white and do the cap, they may just go back to being black all over, 

Aside that I gave up trying to paint anchor chain and so dipped it and wiped the excess away - is this how people normally do it, the other way is just a faff with a brush, 

• Like 2

So decided to sort the bollards, couldn't get used to the white cap on them;

y4mM75u-FTg87QktzVFnO9_FpE1oJPFkuS0kOjzV

What are peoples thoughts on pin washing the detail to bring out the grid pattern more? I'm in two minds so any input/thoughts/suggestions welcome, 

At the same time I picked out the anchor wells/openings or whatever they are called, they seemed to go in and out of being painted black so figured why not

y4mnopxIwhFEgtQdmm0QJpUV3pqYP0wfLkaBp68V

Glossed her up to let me try to highlight some detail on the hull, it wasn't really successful so I'll need to rethink, its the long raised lines on her side I wanted to highlight, the gloss finish does it very well any way but I suspect a satin/matt finish will make them 'recede' again,

y4m8mmYQ8aiE0wKFeLQZ0XFa3hZSThO-daRgxIkC

I do like the depth the gloss adds to the anti-fouling, im tempted to leave the bottom semi gloss and satin/matt from the boot topping up, 

y4m9bKKY8yuGh49-r-wnTSKhUJT1K15qdXhV72Gr

tried brining some of the detail out;

y4mtjyhHeLB9y-HIx1yLh91A2FZ1I_bo0zj0Q0XJ

y4m3oDY6cjMTKdJjwNkrfJ3IxG1eIpuD6KHXW0IN

y4mAXh27_zjeC0ayDpTPA24GsDOzEewZ64K4nvDB

y4moL95rLJ8aJlNIX0vF2KHQCJspWH2fE6OcPLky

I tried to do a subtle pin wash to bring out the doors, S/S, funnel, other details and on the tops of the eyebrows over the scuttles, I'm uncertain, I was thinking shouldn't it actually be under the eyebrows  as is simulates shadow?

Any and all thoughts welcome re the pin wash on the scuttles and the foc'sle

Hopefully do a bit more tonight, as much as there is still lots to do I think it'll actually come together quite quickly in parts now, 

S

• Like 6

Just caught up and I think the tramlines are a triumph.

As to the scuttles - I just put a small dollop of grey pinwash over the top curve - it really just provides a bit of contrast and breaks up the "monotomy" of a one colour hull.

It's all looking super

Rob

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Just caught up and I think the tramlines are a triumph.

As to the scuttles - I just put a small dollop of grey pinwash over the top curve - it really just provides a bit of contrast and breaks up the "monotomy" of a one colour hull.

It's all looking super

Rob

Thanks Rob, I did a few but wasn't sure, think I'll do the rest, I'm going to have to have another go at pulling out the lines running along the hull, I'm not sure what they were, don't think they were degaussing cables, either way I'd like to get them to stand out more when finished, 

Looking good so far I would be with Rob on a light pin wash around the details and build it up to what you think is best might need a few layers in various places to get the darker shadows effect.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Looking good so far I would be with Rob on a light pin wash around the details and build it up to what you think is best might need a few layers in various places to get the darker shadows effect.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Daft as it sounds I didn't even think of doijg it more than once to darken it, I do wonder about myself at times, 

Thanks

• Haha 1

Gidday, Until recently I used to leave the props until almost the end of the build, in case I damaged or lost them by catching them on something. But now I screw the model to a block of wood while building, that has a larger footprint than the hull, so they're protected now. But then my ship models are smaller than yours. It may not be practical for a model this size. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, Until recently I used to leave the props until almost the end of the build, in case I damaged or lost them by catching them on something. But now I screw the model to a block of wood while building, that has a larger footprint than the hull, so they're protected now. But then my ship models are smaller than yours. It may not be practical for a model this size. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

I did wonder if I was living dangerously, that said I'm getting to a point where flipping the hull over isn't going to be as easy so like most things I was in two minds, it's got two chances so time will tell I guess, I shall pray to the gods of scale middling lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decided as im not getting decent chunks of time to just do little bits here and there to keep this one moving forwards, first up was the anchor chains. There's something about adding them that I just like doing. 

y4m0cCb20taLBIBVWXRVMk-vllP8-d7zg9rLLT5G

y4mmJb2kmfahuGW-GmveC1tloxz0wguePbDRR_Us

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, close ups aren't kind!

Also started adding little bits/fittings to the superstructure

y4mwF5oGaARVJtJ6ELf7Gh-LxnMUuTaLRjnewOML

Still go to do the tricolour on the rear secondary turret, more masking tape is needed so have to wait for that to arrive. 

Not surprising she was happy to roll when she had a pagoda like this, i do love the verticality of it though, much of this is still dry fitted as it wants areas pin washed and still have to work out the best way to go about some basic rigging on her and how/what order to fix things in. 

y4mqwZoxjjKJpUVENyE3Wje8hkDzz5qc0jw8IKlq

To work out what to do next I figured put all i could together dry and see where I'm actually at with it, dare I say I'm further ahead than I thought, I used Windsor and newtons galleria matt to coat the hull, its less gloss now but still looking kinda satin to me but I like it as is, if anything the anti fouling looks shinnyish which I think it should and the hull to the deck more matt which again I think works. Also given yesterday was the 80th anniversary of HMS Hoods sinking and the fact that Hood and Dunkerque had operated together as allies hunting German raiders in 1939/40 and then as enemies later in the war at Mers El Kebir I thought it fitting to get Hood out of the stash and spend an hour on her, 

y4mhTZoT4fke_kqH0_WCs54oN6P6xCzOJn9zTwrf

y4m0jXiU7wX0vtcUCWvc2ODI1flq_sgXneqkELE_

The size difference is certainly noticeable, although not as big as figures would make out. Dunkerque is often quoted as being 26,000t, in reality at war loading she was 35,000t ish, Hoods still the heavy weight at 46,000t of course and has by far the nicer lines, 

Any who more later hopefully, tonight is Bake off night which normally means kids willing I get 2 hours at the desk, 

• Like 4