Chipmunk model???

Gantt

i am looking for a Chipmunk model kit, my grandfather used to fly one in the aerobatic circuits in the 1960's.    i found a few kits from AZ Model, it looks like there are a handful of releases, i am interested in one in particular because it has a bubble canopy, which my grandfathers has as well.    can someone lend some advice?    i think i need to be searching from the particular kit number AZ 7558. 

I've found a few on eBay, but only in the U.K.   shipping is 30 bucks, more than the cost of the model.  If i cannot find one in the states for sale, i guess i will have to pony up and have it sent from across the Pond.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-az7558-havilland-canada-dhc-1-chipmunk-t30--1069410

Edited by Gantt

26 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Have you seen this?

Ben is finalising the design before printing.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078691-de-havilland-chipmunk-148/

No I had not, I saw another thread with someone asking for detailed plans.  May have been the same guy.   
very interested, thanks for the link. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, Robin-42 said:

The ancient Airfix one had a bubble canopy in it’s earlier releases. It builds up quite well, you just need to replace the faired landing gear with a simple tube for a Canadian version. 

In my case I would need to modify the landing gear anyway.  My grandfathers plane was faired.    I preordered two 1/48 Chipmunk kits from Airfix a few weeks ago.   And a fellow here says he will release a bubble canopy for this kit as well.   Sounds like I will be in business!    

• 2 months later...

The May 2021 issue of "Aeroplane"  magazine  has 21 pages devoted to the DHC Chipmunk in its Datafile, a plan and a whole page showing the differences between the Canadian and English built aircraft.

You said that your grandfather flew aerobatics in a Chipmunk, just checking that this wasn’t in a Super Chipmunk rather than a RCAF Chipmunk.

Do you have photos of the aircraft he flew?

Cheers,

Nigel

I have two on preorder!!

Me two and nether will be standard RAF training colours they will be WD286 and WG486 of RAF Gatow's station flight if worked on both of them and flew in both around Berlin prior to the Berlin Wall coming down. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nheather said:

You said that your grandfather flew aerobatics in a Chipmunk, just checking that this wasn’t in a Super Chipmunk rather than a RCAF Chipmunk.

Do you have photos of the aircraft he flew?

Cheers,

Nigel

I only have this one digital photo, and it is a newer picture.   It has been modified a little since he sold it in the early 1970’s.    I do have some negatives, along with slides of his bird.   Also have a large framed picture of it.  I’ll take a picture of it tonight and update the post.  Here is the plane as it sits now.    spacer.png

Yep, that’s a Super Chipmunk.  Designed for aerobatics, more powerful engine, bigger control surfaces for aerobatics - look at the rudder for example.

The kits you have been looking at are the standard service aircraft used by the RAF and RCAF.  The RCAF did have a bubble canopy but it is still pretty much standard, not like the Super Chipmunk that your grandfather flew.

There are radio control models, that’s how I was aware of it, but to my knowledge, not a plastic model. 

Example of one of the RC models 

https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=A004RF&area=Aircraft

Cheers,

Nigel

4 hours ago, nheather said:

Yep, that’s a Super Chipmunk.  Designed for aerobatics, more powerful engine, bigger control surfaces for aerobatics - look at the rudder for example.

The kits you have been looking at are the standard service aircraft used by the RAF and RCAF.  The RCAF did have a bubble canopy but it is still pretty much standard, not like the Super Chipmunk that your grandfather flew.

There are radio control models, that’s how I was aware of it, but to my knowledge, not a plastic model. 

Example of one of the RC models 

https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=A004RF&area=Aircraft

Cheers,

Nigel

after I responded to your earlier post I looked around online to see the super chipmunk.   My dad has always told me his father bought it stock and sent it down to someone with the last name of Spinks to modify it for aerobatic use.  
my plan is to modify the control surfaces as needed, along with faired gear.    As for the canopy I’ll just have to make do with the kit. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I never knew about the super chipmunk, and it’s always good to learn new things!!

I admire your commitment to modify the standard RCAF kit, not something I could even dream of doing, mind you when I see a lot of the work done on this site I am simply left in awe.

Personally, when I look at the Super Chipmunk, the only reason I can tell it is a Chipmunk is because I am aware of the history of its origin.  Without that if you were to show me pictures of an RCAF Chipmunk and a Super Chipmunk I might admit some similarities but I would conclude that they are different aircraft.

The Super Chipmunk has a bigger engine (70% more powerful), the cowling is considerably modified (much wider) to accommodate that.  The control surfaces are bigger but also the flight surfaces - the wings are clipped for a start.

The cockpit is different as (as you pointed out) the canopy.  And also (as you point out) the undercarriage is different.

Not something I would be able to do with my limited skills and expertise but as I say, I am often left in awe with what some models manage to do on this site.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 3:45 AM, nheather said:

I admire your commitment to modify the standard RCAF kit, not something I could even dream of doing, mind you when I see a lot of the work done on this site I am simply left in awe.

Personally, when I look at the Super Chipmunk, the only reason I can tell it is a Chipmunk is because I am aware of the history of its origin.  Without that if you were to show me pictures of an RCAF Chipmunk and a Super Chipmunk I might admit some similarities but I would conclude that they are different aircraft.

The Super Chipmunk has a bigger engine (70% more powerful), the cowling is considerably modified (much wider) to accommodate that.  The control surfaces are bigger but also the flight surfaces - the wings are clipped for a start.

The cockpit is different as (as you pointed out) the canopy.  And also (as you point out) the undercarriage is different.

Not something I would be able to do with my limited skills and expertise but as I say, I am often left in awe with what some models manage to do on this site.

Cheers,

Nigel

I won’t cheer until it’s finished.   Could be just ruining a kit.  Many times my ambitions far outweigh my talents.