Kitty Hawk SH-2F Seasprite, not what it seems...(HH-2B Vietnam Gunship conversion/correction).

heloman1

Good afternoon. I've been away from Britmodeller for some while. I don't like 'Indian Givers', that is people who give you something and then change their mind later and take it back. I'm talking about Photobucket, I had a nice package but then...

Anyway, enough of the moaning, lets get down to some serious or not, modelling.

A while back, Kitty Hawk released their SH-2F Seasprite kit. I was part way through building the Panther kit. Fiddly assemble but good detail and the only game in 1/48th scale.

spacer.png

I've been a fan of the Seasprite, ever since I mastered the ROTORcraft single engine conversion kit way back in the early 1980's. I've amassed a fair amount of reference some good, some not so.

I was then dabbling in 1/72nd scale, so I used the quite old but reasonably accurate Airfix kit for my SH-2G conversion. I took me a long time to work out that Kaman had swung the MRH GB (main rotorhead gearbox)around 180 degrees to accommodate the new engines. There is a pug in the front of the doghouse MRH GB housing, approximately 12 inches in old money. This brings the doghouse over the cockpit roof glazing, that is ok for the G variant but not the earlier ones.

Anyway, the Kitty Hawk 2F kit (KH80122) came along and by now, I was more into 1/48th scale, I jumped at it. Then I stood back after trolling trough the parts and doing some dry fitting.

Well, you can't make an accurate 2F from this kit. A pity, because the kit although very well detailed if you want to build a 2G Super Seasprite (kit number KH80126), all well and good.

Kitty Hawk and shame on them have cut corners! They should have started with an early version and then moved on. You get the extended Doghouse, new the older engine fit, lots of extras for the 2G but no tail rotor gearbox housing. Some late F models had the tailrotor GB housing removed.

So, where am I going with this build, not a 2F but rather an HH-2B Vietnam era gunship.

Where to start? The doghouse moudlings need attention, a new canopy roof needs to be fabricated (short cut by KH) and some work is need to accurately portray the nose.  The parts are there, they just need sorting!

Here is where I'm at presently. I must at this point say, I have other projects on the go, so don't be in a hurry...

Some work on the cockpit. I'll also be using the Edward detail sets

spacer.png

There are some good ref images over on Scale Rotors for added /corrected detail. I'll find the link!

I also invested in some of the Eduard PE detail sets.

spacer.png

Here is the work I've done to correct/shorten the doghouse If memory serves me in need a scale 12 inches (305mm) removed.

spacer.png

Here is the pattern and vacformed roof glazing.

spacer.png

The new tail rotor gearbox housing...

spacer.png

The doghouse for the early single engined variant in 1/48th scale.

spacer.png

Colin

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• heloman1 changed the title to Kitty Hawk SH-2F Seasprite, not what it seems...(HH-2B)...

In addition to my own reference, there is a good walkround here on BM plus, one on Prime Portal Airfield page also a Google search under Kaman SH-2 will offer lots of images.

Colin

• Like 2

16 hours ago, F-104 nut said:

Nice start !! Looking forward to seeing this rare Helicopter built 😀

Hi, thanks, yes a long ignored subject excepting for old kits in 72nd scale. Thanks to Kitty Hawk, some good subjects being tackled. I need to approach them re the S-55 family.

Colin

• Like 2

Hello Colin !!

Here we are !! Very good doghouse indeed !!

I feel a bit less alone now !! And might restart mines !!

May I follow on Sir, I cannot guarantee that I'll behave,

I take a seat at the bar, looking over your shoulder.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Colin !!

Sincerely.

CC

Naughty or not, you're most welcome. I'm here to entertain and hopefully point  a few of you in the right direction as to the pitfalls of the Seasprite.

I've been looking at it since tried to make an SH-2G out of the ancient Airifx kit.

So what I'll try to offer is what I've learned over the past few years.

Thanks to Kitty Hawk, we have something good to work with.

Colin

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Colin !!

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC, you are more than welcome. The more the merrier, plenty of room at the bar...

Hope I can nudge you into starting your build again.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Since I put my build on hold earlier this year, I've managed to mislay my reference file. Slides I have a plenty, after a good friend in the US donated me his collection. I need to scan them!!! So it will be back to the intergoogle for more ref!

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • heloman1 changed the title to Kitty Hawk SH-2F Seasprite, not what it seems...(HH-2B Vietnam Gunship conversion/correction).

Sorry guys, been away from the build over the Christmas period. I was missing my meagre reference, why is there no Vietnam Seasprite ref (and I have asked around)? Anyway after a trip to Cape Town and the model railway shop. Yes another project I have on the go!

So tomorrow, I'll tackle the gun pod and fairing.

Colin

Well, after a couple of days of inclement weather, I've been able to make progress on this build.

spacer.png

The turret base, needs cleaning up...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work on the .762 Minigun TAT turret, I robbed the turret from a Fujimi Cobra kit The gun from an Italeri Seahawk.

More fuselage structure has been added as well as the new port side cabin door and the fuel pipes on the starboard side.

The gun pintle still needs to be added on the stbd, side.

spacer.png

Prominent on the stbd, side nose is the windscreen de-icing tank refill cap.

spacer.png

The stbd, cockpit/cabin access had fairings over the slider mechanism also added detail tot he cockpit roof console.

spacer.png

The doghouse is almost complete, grab handles and the PE grills are still to be added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Until next time, enjoy.

Colin

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I don’t usually pay much attention to choppery things but I do like the Seasprite so I’ll tag along if I may.

John

Biggles, your welcome to join in, the more the merrier...

Colin

Sorry for the lack of progress on this build. After a trip to Cape Town and a visit to the model railway shop. I came home with two sets of points and some other detail parts. So the week was spent on that.

Anyway, as they say, 'normal service will be resumed'.

Colin

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:31 PM, Biggles87 said:

I don’t usually pay much attention to choppery things but I do like the Seasprite so I’ll tag along if I may.

John

You are most welcome John.

• 2 months later...

Well, little progress over the last few weeks, other builds getting in the way!

I've buttoned up the fuselage but forgot to paint the back of the crew seat webbing in the cabin. So, I'll have to do that through the gunners window.

The doghouse is not primes and ready for installation. I added some more detail to the drop /auxiliary fuel tanks. I should have installed the chin glazing before closing trhe fus, but forgot. I've carved off the locating tabs and will push it in form the outside.

I've finished reshaping the rotorblade flaps and added some detail to the roots and the MRH (not pictured).

Pictured at the bottom right, is the new cockpit roof glazing I vac-formed. It's a little flimsy so will re-pull another.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Colin

• Like 8

Once I've re-formed the canopy glazing and masked all the clear parts I'll be getting some paint on her. Dark Gull Grey with black codes etc. Not much colour on this one.

Then find the unit logo for a suitable base.

Thanks for looking in.

Colin

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the lack of progress on this build, the vac-formed cockpit rook glazing was less than successful. I've pulled a second one, so need to pull this build back on line. That will now only happen inn the new Year. So, as they say in radio land, stay tuned...

Kitty Hawk, sadly have sadly gone to the wall, so finding another kit to build a single engine version, seems remote.

Colin

21 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Kitty Hawk, sadly have sadly gone to the wall,

Thats too bad for more than one reason…. I didn’t know about this WIP until just now, you made great progress and I hope you find a way you can continue. 

41 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Thats too bad for more than one reason…. I didn’t know about this WIP until just now, you made great progress and I hope you find a way you can continue. 

Mark, I have the kit with me, will do an audit to see where I am with the build.

Colin

• 9 months later...

Hello fellow helo modellers. I haven't abandoned this build, it just found it's way back onto the Shelf of Doom!

Yesterday, I shot some correct colour on it. I had originally painted OD, then found ref to Dark Gull Grey. That done, this morning it has had a coat of Future.

Images to follow...

Colin

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Good morning Colin. Hope all is well and you've made further progress.

I'm interested in this build for multiple reasons. I'm working on a Clear Prop 1/72nd scale B model as deployed on the USCGC Burton Island, which means I'll have to make a few decals once I find clear pics. My dad was a helo mechanic deployed to the USS Kitty Hawk and the Burton Island, so I want to be as accurate as possible because this builds for him. I'm looking for accurate colors for the all orange scheme and accurate placement for the tie-downs and a very small detail on the tail boom, which Clear Prop supplies as a photo etched part. I'm wondering if you or anyone following your build has pics or manuals showing these details.

David

12 minutes ago, dwalton1996 said:

Good morning Colin. Hope all is well and you've made further progress.

I'm interested in this build for multiple reasons. I'm working on a Clear Prop 1/72nd scale B model as deployed on the USCGC Burton Island, which means I'll have to make a few decals once I find clear pics. My dad was a helo mechanic deployed to the USS Kitty Hawk and the Burton Island, so I want to be as accurate as possible because this builds for him. I'm looking for accurate colors for the all orange scheme and accurate placement for the tie-downs and a very small detail on the tail boom, which Clear Prop supplies as a photo etched part. I'm wondering if you or anyone following your build has pics or manuals showing these details.

David

Good afternoon David, thanks for your interest in my build. At present it is stalled, whilst I move house. Regarding colours, the Orange is International Orange and not dayglo. Squadron Signal have a Walkround manual. Engine Grey is the main fuselage colour. Prime Portal site was of help. Sadly the Seasprites have been ignored, a shame when you consider  it's service life.

Colin

• Like 1