Turkish Photo Spitfire - MPM PRXIX 1/72

I’d restarted the MPM 1/72 Spitfire PR XIX that had been sitting, neglected with a few other stalled projects for a long, long time. As I’d already made a start on the kit, I thought this would be an opportunity to get my modelling mojo back after a bit of slump. Part of the inspiration to get this project going was finding Xtradecal set X72105 which other than a few RAF PRXIX schemes, it also contained an interesting option for a Turkish Air Force example.
A lot has been said about the MPM PRXIX and, taking into account its age (it was first released in 1993) it was for many years the only kit of this version of the Spitfire. There are some issues with the shape, particularly when compared to the more recent kits of this type, but when complete I think it’s still recognisable.

The MPM boxing came with the usual short-run low-pressure injection moulded components, a vac form canopy and a small etched brass fret. Two decal options are provided, one RAF aircraft in PRU Blue and Medium Sea Grey and a Swedish Air Force in overall PRU Blue.

After a lot of trimming, sanding and filling I first applied some black pre-shading to panel lines etc. using Vallejo Model Air matt black. I allowed it to dry overnight and applied Hataka Red Line PRU Blue making sure I didn’t apply it too heavily to cover the pre-shading. I also painted the undercarriage doors, legs, wheels and spinner, after masking the prop blades. This was the first time I'd used these paints and I have to admit I was pretty satisfied with them. I had thought of applying some highlights to vary the overall blue but as this was intended to be a quick build I left the preshading to give a bit of interest. 

After a coat of Vallejo gloss varnish the Xtradecals went on without a hitch. I regret not applying a wash to bring out the details but I've got plenty of kits in the pipeline to go to town on! When dry I applied a coat of Winsor & Newton matt varnish. I retrospect I think a coat of satin would have worked better.

And that's about it. I'm reasonably pleased with the build as it was mainly to get my mojo back after not having completed anything in far too long. The PRU Blue looks a bit bright in the photos but in reality it's a pretty good match.

Cheers

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8