Heather's really busy year

Heather Kay

Well, another year rolls around. Another year of memories to file. I started compiling a list of the builds I'd managed during 2020, and it surprised me quite a bit. I've linked the WIP threads, but not the RFIs. You can click the photos to see more in my Flickr stream. Let's see, in no particular order...

First, something without wings.

50393086018_6c78d2f778_b.jpg

The venerable 1/76th scale Morris CS and 40mm Bofors. I've had a couple of boxes around for a while, with a view to an Anti-Aircraft Command display to supplement my 1940 obsession. The other Morris is scheduled for a kit bash into a shorter wheelbase GS truck, but I've built the guns in transit and deployed form.

Now on to winged things.

49579956903_49a6094e27_b.jpg

Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter MkIF, R2069 ZK-A, No 25 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, September 1940.

Hobby 2000 are reboxing Hasegawa kits with new transfers and masking sets. The Beaufighter is a lovely kit, which fits together well, although it's beginning to show its age a little in areas like the cockpit details. Still, the first MkI to enter squadron service now graces my display case. A few details were modified to suit the as-supplied aircraft, but it's about as close as I could get from the references.

My very first BM WIP thread next.

49773374981_050fba7a68_b.jpg

Dornier Do17P, 3rd Staffel, I Gruppe, Fernaufklärungsgruppe 22, April and May 1940.

This is a classic slow-burner. It nearly ended up on the Shelf of Doom. In fact, it was resident on a shelf for most of 2019 until I decided to make the push and get it finished mostly to my satisfaction. It's a combination of the Airfix Do17E/F with the Monogram/Revell Do17Z to make a Do17P. Well, it seemed a good idea at the time! I know there are proper kits for the Do17M and P series, but I had the parts and I'm always up for some full on modelmaking.

Now for something that I'd never heard of, and found by accident when researching something else.

49955007823_e148e32280_b.jpg

Koolhoven FK-58 C.1 No.1, 3e Escadrille GR II/38 (SPA 54), Armée de l'Air, France, May 1940.

I don't know if I was more surprised to find an actual kit for it!

While we're in France...

50213167368_ce1a2536b5_b.jpg

Potez 63-11, No. 156, 2 Escadrille, GR II/33, Athies-sous-Laon, winter 1939-40.

The first of many French twin-engined aircraft to come. I'm not sure why I picked this one off the shelf, but it turned out reasonably well. Montex vinyl masks helped with the vast acreage of glass, and I made my first serious attempt at freehand airbrushed camouflage.

Having worked on the French air force for a while, I felt a little refresher was needed. 

50006189737_979e5522c5_b.jpg

Fokker D.XXI, No. 234, 1st JaVA.

The Dutch were not really expecting the Germans to invade. When the attack started, a valiant but ultimately brief defence was raised. There will be more Dutch air force planes in time, so stay tuned to the WIP thread I started with this little plane.

Next, attention turns to Belgium. I built the Renard R.31 in 2019, and I felt in the mood to increase my Belgian contingent for 1940. Like the Dutch, the Belgian forces put up a spirited, brief and ultimately pointless defence of their country when the German Army and Air Force started their attack in May 1940.

49808127988_ab336d2775_b.jpg

Gloster Gladiator MkI, 1 Escadrille, 1 Groupe, Aéronautique Militaire Belge, Schaffen Airfield, Diest, Belgium.

49906559622_df6586e3ee_b.jpg

Hawker Hurricane MkI, H22, Squadron 2/I/2AÈ (Chardon), Belgian Air Force, Schaffen Air Base, Diest, Belgium, May 1940.

49859136502_c6891f8ffa_b.jpg

Fairey Battle MkI, T70, 5/III/3Aé based at Evere. Shot down on 11 May 1940 at Vlijtingen while attacking Vroenhoven bridge.

You can follow all these repaints and reworkings on the WIP thread below. Warning: Extreme styrene mangling.

Some light relief.

49820623811_bab8d2d8ec_b.jpg

Auster (nearly) Autocrat. It’s actually a MkIII from the AZmodel 1/72nd kit. I’ve made it sort of civilianised, and it will carry a UK civil registration eventually. I'm still to make the transfers and actually complete the build, but it is actually finished apart from that. Does it count? I think so.

While we're on the tiny stuff...

50028822323_e917292f09_b.jpg

De Havilland Dh.82a Tiger Moth II, N-9181, No 10 Elementary Reserve & Flying Training School, RAF Yatesbury, Wiltshire, England, 1940.

Airfix's delightful new tool Tiger Moth, with SBS etched rigging wires. Don't worry, there's plenty more yellow trainer aircraft left in the stash.

Now we get into Group Build territory. 2020 was the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, so I couldn't refuse to build something for that, could I.

50239551613_45b49cf4cc_b.jpg

Fiat BR.20M Cicogna, 4 Squadriglia, 11° Gruppo, 13° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Melsbroek, Belgium, September 1940.

1/72nd scale Italeri with Eduard PE interior and exterior details, LF Models resin wheels, painted with ColourCoats enamels, Humbrol acrylics and enamels for detail work.

50213709871_475538ee38_b.jpg

Fiat G.50 Freccia MM 5403, 352 Squadriglia, 20° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Flugplatz Maldegem, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale limited run kit from AML, in plastic, resin and photo etch metal. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

50213183553_b510a2f47a_b.jpg

Fiat CR.42 Falco MM 5668, 83a Sqd, 18° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Ursel, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale plastic, resin and photo etch kit from Mister Kit. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

Well, you didn't think I'd just follow the herd and build Spitfires and Bf109s did you? :lol:

Happily, some other participants in the BoB80 GB tackled Bomber and Coastal Command subjects. I decided to remain left field.

50337220117_05bfd7879a_b.jpg

Grumman Martlet MkI, BJ519, No 804 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, RNAS Skaebrae, Orkneys, October 1940.

50375693791_6aaff9dcd2_b.jpg

Fairey Fulmar MkI, N1868, 7L, No 808 Squadron Fleet Air Arm, Wick, Scotland, August 1940.

Nos 804 and 808 Squadrons, Fleet Air Arm, appear on the official Battle of Britain Roll of Honour. For a time during the official Battle period, they were under direct control of RAF Fighter Command. 

With that GB out of the way, pretty much straight into another. This time the Heller Classic GB.

50536433171_9424820b2a_b.jpgJunkers Ju52/3m by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

Junkers Ju52/3m, 3U+MT, 9./ZG 26, France, 1940.

It's big. I enjoyed the build a lot, even the painting.

50586426593_27e9114faf_b.jpg

G-ADBW was impressed into RAF service on 15 July 1940, and given the military serial Z7265. The aircraft had been one of a pair that had been supplied to Jersey Airways Ltd in 1935. All but one of the Jersey Airways’ fleet of De Havilland aircraft had been flown back to the UK mainland from Jersey airport in June 1940 - just before the Channel Islands had been occupied by German forces.

It does appear that G-ADBW, although painted in the standard camouflage colours befitting a training aircraft, didn’t carry its military serial and continued to carry the civilian registration. The aircraft was used by an RAF flying school for navigational training. Sadly, barely a month after starting its military career, on 30 August, the plane was involved in an accident at Staverton. I think this refers to what is now Gloucestershire Airport, but which was an RAF training airfield in 1940. The records go quiet at this point, and I haven’t been able to find out if the plane was salvaged and returned to service or not. The records do show it lingered until it was struck off charge on 17 November 1941. I wonder if it ended its days as an instructional airframe, or as a donor for parts.

The rigging is from SBS, somewhat rough painting by Humbrol and Revell acrylics applied by brush.

As I type, with a couple of weeks left of 2020, I am hoping I might complete a third Heller build. I'm not going to worry if it doesn't make it into this post though. I think 18 completed builds is a pretty good score.

Thanks for looking. Thank you to everyone that comments, advises, and donates parts and even whole kits to my 1940 project. It's fun to have you along, and I hope 2021 may prove just as productive for all of us.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't realized you had completed so many Aircraft this year Heather. Wow! Have you completed the plans for the annex to house these beauties? Looking forward to what transpires on the bench for 2021

6 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Have you completed the plans for the annex to house these beauties?

I was surprised when I totted them up, too. As for display, well, I’ve started moving things into boxes for storage. That frees up space in the rather limited cabinet for now, until we can sort out a proper solution.

Frankly, at this point, it’s probably cheaper and easier just to move to a larger property!

Plans for 2021, well, more French twins, perhaps a Dutch plane or two. I might even pluck up courage to tackle my first vac-form kit.

Incredible collection for the year Heather. Awesome modelling as always! :worthy:

Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That's a lovely and varied collection Heather - a 2020 to be proud of, and I have my eye on a couple of those subjects for next year! :clap2:

18 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Heather, taking on a vac, That's great! I'll look forward to that build. Here's to an epic New Year!

18 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's like a great year all round Heather a superb collection of builds.

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Incredible collection for the year Heather. Awesome modelling as always! :worthy:

Thank you! With personal issues through the year, plus added pandemic, I found much solace in my plastic modelling. I’m looking forward to getting some of the bigger models built during 2021. I was going to say "watch this space", but it’s the space for display I’m going to have to watch!

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wonderful Collection Heather :clap:... When does 1941 kick in ? 😉

1941? There’s so much still to do for 1940. There’s the whole Mediterranean thing still to look into, for a start. Besides, I’m single-minded. I lose interest past the end of December 1940. All those Halifaxes and Lancasters, not to mention updated Spitfires. Nah, not for me. ;) 

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

That's a lovely and varied collection Heather - a 2020 to be proud of, and I have my eye on a couple of those subjects for next year! :clap2:

Cheers Dunny! Aside from the French oddities in the stash, I’ve got some obscure and interesting models to come. There are also quite a few new tool kits I’m looking forward to, plus a few old stagers that need some love. Looking forward to the coming year!

• Like 4

Impeccable work Heather & I missed seeing that Potez on BM, don't know how I missed that. I see those colours you used in that make me feel a bit better about my Bloch.

My eyes are also drawn to your Morris CS and Bofors, very nice indeed.

Also subscribed to your Flickr photostream. Very interesting work on there.

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 01:32, Lightningboy2000 said:

Also subscribed to your Flickr photostream. Very interesting work on there.

Thanks Martin! I hope I can get out and give my other love some time this year - landscape photography. We shall see.

On 13/12/2020 at 02:27, dnl42 said:

Bravo! All very well built and finished.  :clap2:

Ta. My finishing is something I’m still working on. It’s not one of my better points at the moment, but I seem to be improving with every model built.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:55, gazza l said:

All very nice, some unusual subjects there.

That’s one of the reasons I find 1940 so fascinating. Most of the planes in use dated from the mid-1930s, and the new designs everyone associates with the Second World War hadn’t really come to fruition.

57 minutes ago, Natter said:

Quite a year.  The excellent Italian camouflage painting is the stand-out for me.

I was very pleased with the way they turned out. I had worried about it for a long time before I just sat down and did it. Nothing beats practice, if I’m honest, so taming the airbrush is one of my standouts for the year.

34 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Excellent and varied collection, well done Heather 

Thanks active! I hope 2021 will prove just as varied.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

My finishing is something I’m still working on. It’s not one of my better points at the moment, but I seem to be improving with every model built.

Finishing 20 models in a year is something that needs working on? Dang, you have aspirations! :worthy:

• Like 1

Cheers Greg! It all helps keep me sane in an increasingly insane world. Losing myself in a plastic kit, sometimes with favourite music in the background, helps me forget my woes for a time. I’m sure it’s the same for many of us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

but why 1940?

Oh boy! :penguin:

Well, here’s how I rationalise it…

My primary interest was the Battle of Britain itself, something I’ve obsessed about since secondary school. As usually happens with me, though, interest began to spread to the events leading up to the Battle: the causes of the war, the Phoney War, Blitzkrieg, the Battle of France, the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkerque. All these events are linked. They are not independent events. There is often significant crossover. To be fair, my mental cut-off point for the start of all of this is really the end of the First World War and the Versailles Treaty in 1919, but that’s really not for right now.

Anyway, back to 1940. Obviously, being a model maker, my interests should encompass making models of the aircraft involved in the Battle. That was my plan at the outset. Acquire and build kits of the main types that took part in the Battle of Britain. Initially, my collection started with the obvious ones: Spitfire, Hurricane, Defiant, Blenheim; Bf109, Bf110, Ju87, Ju88, He111, Do17… 

Slowly, I realised that the Battle of Britain wasn’t just RAF Fighter Command against the might of the Luftwaffe. Other RAF Commands were also doing their bit, so I needed models of Coastal and Bomber Command aircraft. As an aside, this led me to the realisation that the standard historical view of the Battle being a David and Goliath kind of thing was false. When you add in the other commands, the odds are pretty much evened up on both sides. Another Battle of Britain myth debunked.

Being rather a completist about things, the plan was initially to collect models to represent every aircraft operational in offensive, defensive and support roles, from July 1940 up to the start of the night Blitz. Remembering how the pre-Battle of Britain period had so many blurry edges, I quickly changed my cut-off point to include the Blitz, but stopping at the end of December.

And so I headed off into an apparently never-ending loop of research. Initially, just RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft were chosen. The main German aircraft as before, and to try and even things up a bit on the RAF side of the scales, Bomber Command planes were added into the fighter mix. 

If Bomber Command, then why not Coastal Command? And if Coastal Command, what about the other RAF Commands? How about the Fleet Air Arm, which boasted two squadrons on the official Order of Battle? What about ancillary and supporting aircraft on both sides? Would I find models to represent the Italian Air Force’s brief entry into the Battle? Before long, because it just seemed to make more sense, I had made the decision to cover the whole of 1940, January to December, and not just the Battle of Britain in isolation. Everything is linked, you see.

In an effort to keep a lid on things, I’ve restricted myself so far to the Western European Theatre. This means I’ve headed off on a fascinating journey of discovery, with French, Belgian, Dutch, and even Norwegian aircraft in the frame. The Mediterranean and North African theatres are currently off limits, but once I’ve exhausted my current build programme I shall begin to research in more depth there.

Does that answer your question? :lol:

The fact I could cut and paste that from somewhere should shed a little light on the way my head works. :drunk::like:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

Does that answer your question? :lol:

Exhaustively! Thank you!

I love learning about aviation history through other people's projects. Italian aircraft in Belgium in 1940? Who knew?

• Haha 1

I missed this thread when it first came up. I really like the Bofors in green - I did a sand one a while back and it doesn't look nearly as good! Splendid and varied (within a theme) collection for the year. Here's to 2021!

Regards,

Adrian