colors on Ju188A "3U+HK"?

Richard502

That is the plane on the new Revell boxtop http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Wiegmann/Rev_Ju188A-2_48/Rev_Ju188A-2.html

Revell calls for RLM 76 with RLM 22 black lines. Is this correct, or is a combination of standard RLM 70/71 upper surfaces overpainted in RLM 76 more likely?

Or something entirely different?

Looking at the photograph, it appears to me that the darker color was applied over the (probably) RLM 76, not vice-versa as was often done in the 76-over-75 night fighter schemes. Note the sharp corners of the light areas, for example the two furthest aft areas on the fuselage. I think that would argue against 76 applied over an initial 70/71 scheme.

I agree the darker colour, which I still maintain to be black, is applied over the lighter one but why would that preclude the lighter colour from being 76 applied over the 70/71 followed by the black?

3 hours ago, Crimea River said:

I agree the darker colour, which I still maintain to be black, is applied over the lighter one but why would that preclude the lighter colour from being 76 applied over the 70/71 followed by the black?

It wouldn't AFAIC.

• Like 1

Not to get this any closer but this is a caption of the aircraft from this book, "Ju 188 Ju 388 Pt.1" Monografie Lotnicze by Robert Michulec

"One of the unofficial painting patterns for Ju 188 A-2, 3E+HK, composed of RLM 76 paint stains on the top and side RLM 22 paint coats. The Ju 188 was used as a bomber in 1945. Notable is the unfinished camouflage on the left wing. The code was most likely gray 77"

• Like 1

Profile of the above aircraft in Pt.2 of the series definitely agrees with Poster # 2 ( I know about profiles). The stripes on the fuselage are definitely darker than whats seen on the port wing

This machine – “3E+HK”, WNr.180404 of 2./KG 6 – was a well photographed aircraft found abandoned at Brussels-Melsbroek in September 1944.

From some of the better images one can discern a demarcation line near the top of the fuselage side. Hence, this would support the fuselage and wing upper surfaces as being in the standard pattern of RLM 70 Schwarzgrün and RLM 71 Dunkelgrün. Undersides and the tail (rudder and vertical stabilizer) are RLM 22 Schwarz, over which are sprayed large patches of the almost white version of RLM 76 Weissblau. Note that the port wing has a single colour, likely RLM 71.  The Verbandkennzeichen “3E+HK” is either RLM 77 Mittelgrau, or more likely RLM 23 Rot (i.e. the 2. Staffel colour).

If interested, I can forward via email the relevant photos of this aircraft as I do not use a hosting service.

Best,

David

• Like 2

Gents,

The Allied Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report 255 of 10 October 1944 indicates this aircraft’s markings as follows:

“Works No.180404, 3E+HK. (‘H’ outlined in red). Call sign DR+JD”.

So, the Verbandkennzeichen was probably RLM 77 with the ‘H’ outlined in red (for the 2. Staffel).

Best,

David

• Like 2

Looking at the official paint chart of the 188 and using the top photo right wing and forward fuselage; the entire nacelle should be 71 and most of the forward fuselage is 70 but in my eyes, the same. The area behind the nacelle and the outer wing should be in 70 and the area between them in 71 but again, to me, look the same. Aft of the fuselage, according to the paint diagram, the first two stripes would be in 70, the third in 71, around the HK, 70 and around the balkenkreuze and "BE", 71. Once again, to me, the same. I know interpreting B&W is difficult but that's my take, the stripes are one colour

Edited by fubar57

12 hours ago, David E. Brown said:

If interested, I can forward via email the relevant photos of this aircraft as I do not use a hosting service.

Yes. please!      richardaigner(at)aon.at

Medcalf, "Ju88 Bomber at War Vol.II", p.622, has a photo of "3E+HK" with the original, damaged wing lying in front of the (repaired) plane. The dark snake lines on light background are discernible. 

• Like 1

Will do.

D.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to help.  Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

D.