1/72 Handley Page Victor K2 Matchbox/Airfix kit build.....

Thankyou. It is a problem I have. Helps & hinders me at work! 

But I must have a short break, SWMBO says I need to do her kitchen and bathroom. Extra lights in one and re-grouting both! I'll try to do little bits in the evenings. I need a nice thin (I think) matt black wash to keep the details, my enamel is pretty thick so I have some revell thinners. I'll try that tonight.

Oh, I eye'd up the box in the undercarriage bay and it looked too big, so louvres it is. 

Edited by Gary Medland

14 hours ago, Gary Medland said:

Thankyou. It is a problem I have. Helps & hinders me at work! 

Helped us write that BS5750 manual though didn't it!! 🙂

mind you, I don't think we ever got paid for that! 😞

• Haha 1

Eduard have come up trump's. This is not an issue they were aware of, they are correcting it and sending me a replacement as soon as its made. So I'll continue with this and just swap out the piece once its here. 

Thank you Eduard. 

Not got any other progress to show, been busy working on the kitchen for SWMBO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

That’s great news! Did they comment on their support webpages or contact you direct?

I emailed their support, but it wouldn't let me see because it wouldn't let me log in. Then I received an email response, which I replied to and was the method from then on. 

I was just happy they are sorting it. 😉 

• Like 1

Finished in the kitchen & bathroom, so I'm back at the model. I did a trial fit of the undercarriage in the bay and I'm pleased with how it looks. There is an awful lot of detail in this area! 

y4m3h8BsUQoSXxpkfbfn1ee3ohkkPQ3RuKaBxXrq

Painted all the detailed parts so far matt black, ready for some detail

y4mMhQ6FOUcYApopmwZAXJpuPCVahi4JV1nHyvUW

And I've cut, drilled, fitted and bonded the beautifully machined probe end to the refuelling boom. 

y4mfUrkjiEHYd9EAF7v6_coGVq3DCzLZzJt1Lk0v

Thanks for looking in,

check back soon! 

🙂

Edited by Gary Medland
Brain fade
  • Like 5

That's better! 

I wasn't happy with the periscope I had made because I wasn't happy with the periscope in the kit, so I've now made a proper one I am happy with out of pieces of toothpick (cut lengthways into 4), superglue and some brass off cut squares from the eduard detail kit. 

y4mNg4MARWZcBNNWCHzNeWxXeAmPDhUVt00Euy0C

And now I am happy with it. The previous version, thankfully, got knocked off by accident, meaning I had to make another for the stock "stub". 

It was playing on my mind,...... now it's not! 😉 

y4meGysdjUkCrwStqNmkAd6UPGzkW0-9IF21wWVk

y4mScRGETXkEBx7a7dnXnOyxMsIqRIUxyfe5TTkq

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 1

Assembled the cockpit dashboard. Yep, that's much more detailed than I could paint! 😂😂

y4mfGrSnIppKMTdcuiKoSisIezByUG5_TWPz9hH4

Don't know what to do with the nav wall, the details on the kit are massively different to the kit, I'll need to look into which is more accurate to the K2. If it's the kit, I'll have to mix'n'match the instrument details. 

And the wingtip is a letdown, it's all bent, as you can see on the leading edge. I'll have to try to straighten it out while bonding the other half to it... 

y4mkPZO2Lz7p4_vrp44dpQg1Ar0JHgb_3jCpWUWv

• Like 2

Yeah that's worked OK actually. Started off with this:

y4mg5r-B-puIsPDRmHVQnWmLyKaXlOJn2Kcz9eCh

Started off with the heat gun on 180°, but that didn't seem to do anything. 

Upped the temp to 210°, fan on lowest speed and it softened it just right. After 2 gentle heat cycles I end up with this:

y4m7bTI5Woby-hYqP_-BOpKoHJrQ6_D9cm9Uoir7

Much better and manageable. 

• Like 2

So I have been pondering what to do with the nav wall. The eduard kit is supremely detailed, really nice, but flat. They expect you to sand or cut all the moulded details on the wall flat, then bond on the details. Personally, I'm a firm believer of details being 3D. 

y4mXeFzdsp0vceSGfDYV-lA_FVslhBBLkqEzpBKj

y4m2G6WZRyy33PWI0zWS4KQ8DBayFRtF6YhqrY00

And I've been trying to figure out how to combine them...... I've settled on flatting some details, cutting up the sheet and bonding some on. 

y4moOdf7Fc57cfgaqMhyH8GEQOmHhS5RyprT1z8E

Not attempted this before, no idea if it'll work and might just've wrecked both trying it. But by jove I think I've done it and achieved what I was after! 

Just some touching up in between and we're there. 😉 

y4mGUHCNd9cZng2sDls2kd1hBezdvihgpJRlMQmp

y4mVkijcvNtUIvlWrk83sNbv5dJTQ3IW6KwZ2dZA

Oh, and need to figure out what I'll do with the radar screen. Forgot that, but just seen it. 😂

• Like 3

I think that's exactly what I wanted it to look like. Now need to start painting the pilot seats up before the rear seats go in....... 

y4mMfkz59FO-Xw0_RP3c5qCwFtDQDTbw7ddrbUgo

y4mbGolCghLW0TxMOxhCM7BMumDugVWEGndyC8_2

y4mU8l5-oaAKDkutvnlyoyjK-NQNBO-UPAUTk8_U

In fact, looking at it, I need to touch up the edge of the bench! But it's getting there. 

This will be my first full model build since I left school in 1988!

As long as I get it finished..... 🤣 🤣

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gary Medland said:

In fact, looking at it, I need to touch up the edge of the bench! But it's getting there. 

This will be my first full model build since I left school in 1988!

As long as I get it finished..... 🤣 🤣

Looking fabulous!!

But same as me, first kit since about 1985 started before Christmas, then stalled...

I've got a really silly idea for you, I'll message you about - others can figure it out if I just say; Modelu

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Looking fabulous!!

But same as me, first kit since about 1985 started before Christmas, then stalled...

I've got a really silly idea for you, I'll message you about - others can figure it out if I just say; Modelu

🤣🤣No😂😂

• Haha 1

Just a couple if cockpit details fitted tonight. 🙂

The other side of the nav bench:

y4miuEXEiMdkkuStuvbwnjFMoPRrV_p_-uQeqK3u

y4ms0ZSnmv9ArKD3LOVNziTxS3zw7UC00wjMJmoE

Details by the throttles:

y4mHA2BppKHB83MG2O-JNNjRTsF1KcpTyXy7-Meo

And finally assembled the dash, just a couple of details on the release handle for the centre console to do:

y4mO2dK3YNqV9DO3OTt37opESshmhHYsQu5QoCBg

Night time! 

😁

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your work is very impressive. You must have patience by the ton! Wish I did.

Thank you. I've always had an eye for detail (think I might be a bit OCD?) and only do it for me, if that makes sense? 

I know it's there, so I detail it, whether it will be seen afterwards or not... 

I'm only making one model, and this Aircraft is the most special to my history. I think I will need to make the canopy and refuel boom fit perfectly, so it can be removed for me to look in, if I ever decide to. 😉 

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 04:45, Gary Medland said:

I think I will need to make the canopy and refuel boom fit perfectly, so it can be removed for me to look in, if I ever decide to. 😉 

Use a dab of PVA glue instead of a proper plastic glue. It'll stay put, but can be removed without damage later.

• Like 1

If you've ever wondered why etched brass components seem expensive for what they are, watch this video on how to DIY!

Photo Etching at Home– Professional Tools for Modelers;

This guys modelling is amazing!

• Like 1

I know it's a matter of some discussion in modelling circles, but look at the real thing.

Viewing the model from 30cm away is kind of as close as you'll get without squinting too much, and that translates as appearing to be over 20 meters from the real thing.

If you can see visible and distinct panel lines on a real aircraft from 20 meters away I wouldn't fancy flying in it!

spacer.png

Panel lines are barely discernible except around doors and access hatches.

I'm not a particular fan, I know some people love it, it's your model!

• Like 4

Went further with the model box. Outlined the tools, then painted the background black. 

Then added retention for the diamond files..... 

y4mW3rN84nOuwqK3veRQUC2vxemo7z_j0O8Y4qjR

y4mNpB8JsvYjtVhyrhlhYT6tbfq-ZMjwPNXcaMeS

Then had to do the bottom section too, moved stuff about, put sticky backed rubber sheet in the base to quieten things down, added padding to keep all the paints in place, painted the areas between black. 

y4mNlhru_aXEfSyJiwtcW9UYLyImEcisyoHHLdwZ

Then decided the top needed tidying up. Sanded down and varnished the muddy wood (it was a tackle box) but the old stains still show through..... So silver carbon fablon was added with some aircraft bookmarks and squadron crests (though I'm still waiting to find a 33sqn sticker in the right size). 

y4mM-IuOt6GA2Ntiqgk3MoZAxckMW8OSdq0OxJvJ

Now, I was quite pleased with it. Until speaking (messaging) with Alex B, who planted the seed that the rest of the outside needed to be tidied in a similar fashion...... 

y4m4W386EnmZuntrf0cjPgUmwL-eLvyJUaB5O7ow

So off came the latches and on went more silver carbon, then latches back on. This meant edge's were wanting to peel, so a corner edging of 1" clear tape was added and now it IS finished! Definitely! 

y4mS8HmNQd9tWq-rkK21vnJ7SqsaYm2P6MXN6ApS