1/72 Handley Page Victor K2 Matchbox/Airfix kit build.....

So many years ago I started building a Matchbox 1/72 Victor "K2" kit. Quickly discovered I needed to change details to keep it accurately a K2 and lost a bit of interest. I started detailing the cockpit and undercarriage and began fitting some resin corrections for the wing stubs and it fizzled out a little..... 

Then after discussing with my wife the work required and the detail of the now accurate Airfix kit, she has bought me the Airfix kit for Christmas, on the condition I get it finished! 😉 

So I'm wondering how much of the details I've already done can be used on the Airfix kit, or if indeed the Airfix is detailed enough to just start over. 

Or which parts of the detail kits I bought can be carried over? 

P.S. how do I attach images without a URL? 

So trying to embed images, looks like I can only embed one at a time

y4mkVaHALzmHGZN026Lau7zIwqTzoS-9T9tn3YfR

Still learning to do this every day's a school day! 

y4mjMCZAb4ne_CU4tqoe0cln6VPIzIJqOlGmGxDC

Made a bench from a lollypop stick and periscope from scrap.... 

spacer.png

Wasn't happy with the undercarriage, they didn't look right... Then realised they were missing the actuator Jacks! 

y4mIvpwc84i97Kof0-2SRK3jIUJxM3_C3bKW3Tni

So I made some from a paper clip. 

y4mhF4Y3RKlqyXWIUTJWvKQMulEHL_sFl-dxsvFf

that's getting there. 

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually happier than I should be that I've already added detail to this kit....made the periscope from the old one I had already made. 

y4mu4wQEyqpQk45_qgcl-gJWJn3DhhrTRpeZeaJu

Edited by Gary Medland

So I've not tried this before, but I'm trying it now after seeing a couple of posts (and a foreign video (good English though) about an ME190 cockpit! 😉). Hopefully it works fine..... 

Paint everything detailed in matt black first! 

P.S. I think I've got the hang of sharing photees. 😉 👍🏻 

y4maXRGZ5KnVcYifIpNp1X8CL12_7wPObusEBY86

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 7

And made an easy to follow list of the paints I need, from the humbrol enamel list. Plus matt, Satin & gloss enamel varnish. 

I'm brushing everything, saw a YouTube video about using 4 thin coats instead of 1-2 normal coats for wing/fuselage to prevent brushlines and keep detail crisp, is that a successful method used by people on here? 

y4m7hK1Tj5xQHJR3dn5f58mUB7qhj6XKlFRkqNYs

So today's progress is below. Its nice to get back to detailed work, before I got into inspection I spent 10 years as a composite trimmer fitter, hand making carbon parts typically to 0.2mm tolerance. 

y4mZoUoHQ_XKgYzD-l4fAVF60kH4MuGDvxT_Z1Bc

y4mlLPipqQ6_wwVUKYCtXZqWrHA-gG6f7HuRBI7n

y4mo_ZUrlw9LK_0vteTcPa2nVzKp7CIbDCOqg1R3

y4maK2L83aDHp9AP-_KwsPxjHtUB8tmh5vUzIG0h

y4migS-L5GUomIoo4PcBV6OWWdbR25lauMzMmmFK

So I'm trying to test the eduard detail kit out.... F**k me are the bits tiny! 

So for the seats I need to cut off the moulded seat belts and fit the etched ones.... 

y4mblqrHzn99SnDxYpo6sLJ6c5RTS_OIsC8CDbSU

Then it looks not too bad, but it takes time... and the little corner brackets need to be bent to fit but only measure 1mm x 2mm!

y4m5m1iHYdi7E1HJtP2wkK1ApStWqILKc0q6gHy-

End result is OK, but for the seats facing the nav bench I think I might paint the details on. Depending on how that goes will decide how I do the pilot seats. 

y4moRG3cNnE523eHpSAhdme5zdnNlZKQnCEZvcfz

y4mrZBm0-zTAsoRCxcwfutC8LlHrDILkPlELgYmz

• Like 6

Brush painting can yield beautiful results. I used to brush paint everything- very relaxing! Thin multiple coats a good idea, how thin is practice and feel. Humbrol or Revell enamel brushes well, some colours may work better than others though. Also a primer is a good idea, Halfords spray cans do just fine.

I would get a spray can of matt enamel varnish rather than brush paint the Humbrol, I never managed to get a consistent, non-cloudy coat by brushing. Gloss is fine though. 

Good luck with the photoetch! That seat looks the business. 

1 hour ago, Bangseat said:

Brush painting can yield beautiful results. I used to brush paint everything- very relaxing! Thin multiple coats a good idea, how thin is practice and feel. Humbrol or Revell enamel brushes well, some colours may work better than others though. Also a primer is a good idea, Halfords spray cans do just fine.

I would get a spray can of matt enamel varnish rather than brush paint the Humbrol, I never managed to get a consistent, non-cloudy coat by brushing. Gloss is fine though. 

Good luck with the photoetch! That seat looks the business. 

Thanks for the info. Seat turned out really good, but by god it was a faf! I enjoy painting details but the photo etch is just sooooo detailed it would be a shame not to use it. Really torn here. 

The etch plate for the nav wall is flat, nav wall is 3D, I may have to get creative there. Today I will focus on front undercarriage I think, while deciding on the seats.... 

So I got the forward undercarriage finished, pleased with how it turned out. And I'm happy with the look of the main undercarriage wheels, so I can throw the rest of them together. 

y4mJI9yhzgLhiyBjfHOKclTqPSy0R-rZHiCKpwCC

y4mmsLMrnG9cHdZNwTNQ7ANxgCPP9a9ajGUSxGEY

I did the sight-glass lens for the hydraulic reservoir tank in clear red, to emulate the 50 litres of OM-15 inside it! 

y4mOwNFJrB0RpNICbd8NPhFhPRJ06wcW2FBm-USI

y4ml8izRXaCQIpU12VvrwVuY6XFNEF6jhUZkAS7k

The main undercarriage wheels have holes in, but no pins. I decided to make some "axles" out of a toothpick, sanded down in a drill, so they perfectly line up while bonding. 

y4mztrsg3DNHRB0Sel1LT3ISt7MzjhxyMOiB5Zxd

y4mk6zmE4w0wQa6pO6IJJTg7pbT2KK7l03lEPGge

So now I have a bag of 2.5mm x 1.47mm dia "axles" to not lose! 

y4mcOXQg-Z5esfwlmXsiY-L6doynjN4dPd5U1HAx

And as I said, I'm happy with the wheels end result, they sit nice and flat/level. 

y4m_NKcp8oU792Sf0HzhzBokDNaiFwTUNY9Huacc

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 6

Hi guys, been a few days, now the lockdown has started I am having to shield again. So to help give me some "purpose" (around all her little household jobs, natch) my wife has set me up a little office, so I can model during the day instead of a couple of hours in the evening. Hopefully this should speed up progress! 

y4mK30rRFSXrIXrXtgxqHIne7BxPLHvekYtlV4tp

y4m02Qaca8TJbXaMeZyUcYmY_MCfIQEjg2cahCJO

So I've done some little bits, finally got my blue paint for the straps but didn't realise it was metallic! When I put it on it was way too dark. I didn't want I looking too metallic so I tried a matt white base coat and it's worked well. 

y4mszZm9BsURlCTTkgoYDJACj1WsZgsqtcnK39v_

y4m05AARMJV_A-iTiEJXKDR8L0Jebvv5AgLgF4LB

I'll add a pic of the painted straps once I've added some further details. They look really good, so I think I will paint the straps on the pilot seats rather than use the etch straps. 

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 2

So the old kits assembled main undercarriage had some good detail parts on it, so I am transferring some over. The tip hooks look better, but are too big to easily use so I'll use the Airfix ones and try to detail them up. Brake lines look good though.

y4mZenAy7so_O8IgHQuHCL4HfY8ukDokbH-Il1Fs

y4m7bK8X-TxKhd-RxdqONZ_EL0eHLrL7B96zX4bm

y4miGkh3b6Z77zCp-2eJ6GIdOhN6q418luTg-6uQ

y4m6qxC-tfGTV_I7xA2SlWgy7tWxvDfnGLmd659y

y4mqayP6Io4oRe1_gdZTQTlW2zp8u03IAnmrhmZ0

y4mIpzKjgxALPhQH-R0GgtKsWJ5a5S8D4vWYgUgs

y4m7I9fmkLxSsipMC_jAg_Bo4naPtsFJCIeSVoK3

y4mQh8nyKQb6KwozR9GfX91tASXVY9UA26P28GYz

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 5

And this is what the final detail looks like, using the photo etch details as inspiration. Well of the seat pads anyway, I might ad some detail to outside of the seats but I'm NOT fitting those little brackets again! 

And you are right @AlexB, the camera makes it look terrible!!

y4m0ZC87Jgt9ibZNihgS4arZeKD-djp3eXcg8JID

So I shall mix'n'match the photo etch with painted straps on the pilot seats. 😉 

• Like 2

OK, I've added some little details to this undercarriage, it's looking better, but I may need to try to remove some of the CA from under the brake lines going up the leg?

y4m5XAVo4G861EAiG00CZu18l1XYIhAiG0p3YVYh

y4m3OAh-lQ67N-M9LFtQC9D8QFxAjFQdoXaiv-_Y

And I've been thinking about it, now that I have seen the small hinges on the first nav seat I will have to fit them to the other 3!

What a ball ache....... 

y4mlETCwPP0Z1eGZGW5-IIjRALCeL7z-bemgZsE0

My wife asked how long it has taken to do the seats alone and it got me thinking about how much it costs to buy ready made/painted models. No matter their price, if they are doing it for profit they won't! I would need to sell each of these for more than the real seat I'm sat on (based on my day job rate)! 

My hat is off to you sirs! 

• Like 3

Gary! A friend of mine builds (or at least did!!) model railway locomotives professionally, until we had a discussion about how much profit he really makes.

His work used to feature regularly in the modelling press (often unattributed) and people would pay him what seemed like vast sums for a specific locomotive to be hand built and painted.

It actually worked out that he was "making" about a £1 an hour!!

You're doing this because you love it!!

Now crack on.

I assume you're doing a wokka next?

Edited by AlexB
spleling crerection

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Gary! A friend of mine builds (or at least did!!) model railway locomotives professionally, until we had a discussion about how much profit he really makes.

His work used to feature regularly in the modelling press (often unattributed) and people would pay him what seemed like vast sums for a specific locomotive to be hand built and painted.

It actually worked out that he was "making" about a £1 an hour!!

You're doing this because you love it!!

Now crack on.

I assume you're doing a wokka next?

🤣🤣 No wokka, why would I🤔? I may have worked in the same hanger, but we were the other side. The Puma side! 

I don't intend to build another model, but if I do I like to stick to things I know intimately. If I did I'd probably go for a Puma, or one of my bikes. Maybe a tamiya 2004 ZX-10R. And mod it as a replica of my turbo! 😉 

Anyway, I've got work to do. Pilot seat, or Nav bench?..... 

Edited by Gary Medland
  • Like 1