Aoshima HMS Hermes

Martian

I have the Aoshima kit of HMS Hermes and was wondering what I would have to do to back date her to her pre-WW2 configuration? I know the Flyhawk kit would be a better starting point, but I need to limit my spending at the moment and need to work with what I have got. I have a detail set somewhere and have got some Flycatchers and some Fairey IIIfs.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

If using the Flycatchers (interested to know who makes those in 1/700) and IIIFs, which puts the date before 1934, you'll need to remove the arrestor wires.  You'll also need to omit the Type 72 beacon at the masthead (Part B5) and Parts E11 (which, I think, are supposed to represent single 20mm Oerlikons).  Depending on the date selected, she had two quadruple 0.5" mountings, one for'd of the island and one abaft it, on the flight deck.  Then there's the China Station colour scheme, if that's relevant to the chosen period.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

If using the Flycatchers (interested to know who makes those in 1/700) and IIIFs, which puts the date before 1934, you'll need to remove the arrestor wires.  You'll also need to omit the Type 72 beacon at the masthead (Part B5) and Parts E11 (which, I think, are supposed to represent single 20mm Oerlikons).  Depending on the date selected, she had two quadruple 0.5" mountings, one for'd of the island and one abaft it, on the flight deck.  Then there's the China Station colour scheme, if that's relevant to the chosen period.

I think I got the Fairey IIIfs from Trumpeter and the Flycatchers came from Shapeways. Thanks for the info,  nothing too strenuous then, which is good given the current state of my health.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Good to see you back  Martian,the board is too quiet without you, all the best, Geoff

Thanks Geoff, it is only tentative steps at the moment as I am told my recovery will take a considerable time. I want to crack on with my main projects but my concentration and fatigue levels dictate that I confine my activities to some simpler stuff for now. The hardest part of my Hermes kit will be finding it in a stash the size of a planet.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martian said:

Thanks Geoff, it is only tentative steps at the moment as I am told my recovery will take a considerable time. I want to crack on with my main projects but my concentration and fatigue levels dictate that I confine my activities to some simpler stuff for now. The hardest part of my Hermes kit will be finding it in a stash the size of a planet.

Martian 👽

Jupiter or Saturn?😄

9 hours ago, Martian said:

The hardest part of my Hermes kit will be finding it in a stash the size of a planet.

I'm assuming Mars, which is by all accounts is a bit smaller than Earth, so that should make it a bit easier to find.

Gidday Martian, it's good to hear from you, it's been a bit quiet without you, almost - well - normal! 😁     Seriously, I hope you get on top of your health issues. And tentative steps are better than no steps at all.     Best regards, Jeff.

• Like 2