the Lindberg Line 1/48 Deperdussin 1911

This is uncharted territory for me, having never built a pre war...(Jurassic?) aircraft model before. The kit was given to me buy a local club member who in turn had received it as a gift from a family member from years ago. The kit immediately hit my "that's an interesting model" button and had to be tackled.

I searched for some spokes for the wheels but gave up finding anything then viewed some videos on making spoke wheels for models. Mine are crude but may look better with grass and dirt applied to them.

Here's some images of the kit as of today;

yWACbsi.jpg

9SigYou.jpg

made a jig to make wheel spokes;

d7MgiTI.jpg

first attempt looked promising but over scale;

kZ8Tso3.jpg

2nd attempt (using the long blonde hair from my wife's hair brush) again, please excuse the crudity of the model...

cGQOFlQ.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrispisme
typo
  • Like 12

Love these kits, I built the Martin-Handasyde a while back. Surprisingly good for their age. I wish we had some new tool pre-WWI stuff in standard scales, you can't even get a decent Wright Flyer which is usually regarded as quite an important part of aviation history.

• Like 2

Thanks for coming along on my adventure! I should have (probably) looked to see how others had done the kit but...it's an adventure right!

Assembly is progressing very quickly, it helps that its a simple kit with very few parts and is amazingly well cast. The parts are quite sharp and clean.

A couple of images of the work as of quitting time tonight;

Mpu4W0E.jpg

the pilot suggested a back rest might be nice so, I cut a oval from .010" and cut it in half and glued that to the fuselage top. Nice pilot figure by the way, all cleaned up glued together and awaiting his ride being finished

oVUBiix.jpg

I was going to pre-shade the ribs and spars with Tamiya "Buff" but it was almost exactly the same color as the plastic so I added a bit of brown to it...and pre-shaded the ribs and spars

NRepCEX.jpg

Paint work underway (home made linen color with buff and white. Vallejo wood

n41MLmQ.jpg

nG4NiB0.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 11

I agree!

I got barrelling along and couldn’t stop. To be honest it’s a fairly simple kit compared to my usual fair of 1/32 air superiority fighters (or civil airliners)

Also the fit, once the misaligned alignment pins were sanded off, is very good.

I’ll be back at it in a hour or so today

• Like 1

I have to think I'm doing something wrong or missed something...this is going too fast (so far)

fKHREC4.jpg

little pilot dude all painted up;

nQdRmTV.jpg

He's looking over the work so far;

746EahG.jpg

the wash is a little too stark, I'll clean that up, or off.

GF67nQe.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

This kit originated with Inpact in 1966 as part of a series of pre-WW I types.  There was a movie tie-in with Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.  Some or all later appeared under the Pyro, Likelike and finally Lindberg names.  They were well received way back when they first appeared and the pictures seem to say they've held up well.

Curiously, Scalemates indicates the later of two Lindberg releases include new parts, though indication what they might be.  Ideas?

Hmm, just had a thought, the kit was released 55 years after the original flew, and here we are 54 years after that.  An enduring interest.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RJP said:

This kit originated with Inpact in 1966 as part of a series of pre-WW I types.  There was a movie tie-in with Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.  Some or all later appeared under the Pyro, Likelike and finally Lindberg names.  They were well received way back when they first appeared and the pictures seem to say they've held up well.

Curiously, Scalemates indicates the later of two Lindberg releases include new part, though indication what they might be.  Ideas?

Hmm, just had a thought, the kit was released 55 years after the original flew, and here we are 54 years after that.  An enduring interest.

It is an enduring kit! As far as I could see the only new parts would (could?) be the 48 piece jigsaw puzzle, a small manufacturers sticker and a decal.

I believe the casting is (in my opinion) sharper and cleaner than some new tool releases.

Inpact's 1/48 aircraft kits were the absolute state of the modelling art when they came out. Their 52 year old 1/48 Gloster Gladiator kit is still fully competitive with the recent two 1/48 competitors if you buy it a vac-form canopy and throw a bit of detailing into the cockpit. It's a better shape than either of the modern kits. Sadly the Lindberg reissues often have sinkage. You seem to be lucky with this one, but early Inpact or Pyro releases are the safest ones to get.

• Like 1

So, the model is rigged and the paint is drying on the "wires" the next few pics should be in the RFI section....I really thought the model would be a lot harder and take much more time than...2 days, 3 if you count letting paint dry overnight.

stringing the rigging and tensioning them;

5KmyeLv.jpg

V51Cs2p.jpg

5RFp7gp.jpg

Thank you for looking

• Like 13