Two F-4D's in SEA scheme: 423nd TFW (1969 Udorn, Thailand) and 52nd TFW (1976 Spangdahlem, Germany)

Hello everybody,

Here is another double build I finished recently: the Accurate Miniatures reboxings of the old Monogram F-4D kits. I built both kits largely out of the box, adding only some wiring to the backseater's IPs, gunsights and spare PE mirrors. Construction was pretty straightforward, but filling and sanding is required, especially around the intakes and exhausts where fit is somewht problematic. Open airbrakes and lowered flaps are options in the kit. Despite their age, I really enjoyed building these two classics: the level of molded detail in the cockpit and around the airframe is just great!!

For the 23rd TFS / 52nd TFW aircraft, operating from Spangdahlem AB, Germany, I used a (very, very old) Superscale sheet, showing the aircraft during the 1976 Tactical Air Meet at Twente AB, The Netherlands. These Superscale decals worked surprisingly perfect. This particular aircraft was credited with downing a Mig-17 over North-Vietnam in October 1967, hence the killmark on the splitter plates that was maintained. Stencils are taken from various spare decal sheets. Paints are Gunze. The travel pod is modified from a spare napalm cannister, the gun pod is taken from the kit. I also replaced the kit’s LORAN antenna with a spare one from a Hasegawa kit, as this is molded much finer, and finally I used an ECM pod from Revell's F-4F.

"Ripley's believe it or not" flew with the 13th TFS / 423nd TFW, being stationed at Udorn AB, Thailand, during 1969 operations over Vietnam. I added a chinpod taken from the Italeri F-4C/D. Bombing load-out consists of Mk.82's from the kit (on Hasegawa TER's) and spare box Mk.83’s on the outboard pylons (found in the Fujimi kit). Sparrow missiles are Hasegawa items and the ALQ-87 is from the kit. Again, Gunze paints were used, followed by Eagle Strike decals.

Hope you enjoy seeing my 2 SEA Phantoms, comments/feedback always appreciated!

Thanks for looking and regards,

Patrick

Edited by fox1_BE
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Very, very nice. I'm building both the Accurate Miniatures (ex. Monogram) and Fujimi Phantoms now. I hope I can get my camo pattern to look as nice as yours. What technique did you use to get the fine demarcation between the camo colors?

Those are a couple of phantastic Phantoms. Congratulations on really fine builds. 

I was always confused by 66-8793 displaying the MiG kill star. None of my references show this jet getting a MiG kill. I finally found confirmation that the pilot whose name was on the forward left canopy rail shot down a MiG-17 in October 1967. It was Maj Don Logeman’s name on the jet at the 1976 Tactical Weapons Meet at Twenthe, Netherlands. 

One minor note, the sensor lump on the tail had black forward and trailing antenna covers. If you google F-4D 66-8793 you will find several photos of the jet at the TWM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billn53 said:What technique did you use to get the fine demarcation between the camo colors?

Just plain simple rolls of Blutack (or Posterbuddies as they are called here) and masking tape. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Mark V said:

One minor note, the sensor lump on the tail had black forward and trailing antenna covers

Thanks for noting this - cheers!

21 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Is the pod on the right inboard station of the Spang' bird a baggage pod or practice bomb dispenser?

Indeed a travel pod. I used a napalm cannister from a Hasegawa weapons set for this. Thanks mate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phlippineck, they are really well painted Phantoms! Really don't need ancyfancy new mould kits when you can get them painted & decaled as well as that! 

I see what looks like pre-shading, which is very effective with the raised details. What colour primers did you use & did you do any post shading. 

I'm planning to do a couple of SEA schemed Phantoms, Lakenheath & Woodbridge & this helps with inspiration.

Martin

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I see what looks like pre-shading, which is very effective with the raised details. What colour primers did you use & did you do any post shading. 

Indeed, I had to think of a way of highlighting the raised panel lines, as a “standard” panel line wash would not work here.

I did a regular pre-shading on all main panel lines of the bottom of the aircraft, as this works fine with lighter camo colours. This was followed by mottling blue and tan (thinned, to keep it subtle) on certain spots/areas, and finally the top colour in thin and irregular layers to blend all in.

On the top side, I first airbrushed the 3 camo colours, then came back with highlights/post-shading in either lightened (with grey, white, tan) or darkened (with dark grey) camo colours. Hope this helps, thanks Martin!

Cheers,

Patrick