Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen ...... nuff said!

Good day to you all once again, hope you are all tickety boo and surviving well what with one thing and another!

This is my latest completion, the Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen depicted as an aircraft of 893 Naval Air Squadron on board Victorious circa 66. I started this build a couple of years ago then stalled before digging it out over the summer. I tarted up the wheel wells and airbrake cavity with some wire and stuff as well as adding some Pavla seats (My homemade versions just dont cut it!), CMK resin wheels and Master pitot tubes. I used Vallejo paints and did try a bit of preshading, it worked on the underside but I think the DSG I used was too dark. I did try to do some post shading with Gunship Grey but not sure if that worked. This was also the first model I used Pledge floor polish (in Canada) on , its like Klear and sprays well but takes a couple of coats to work well. The biggest achievement was doing the red crosses on the back and not getting any silvering so the under coats worked well i think. I was going to tool her up with missiles but had problems painting them and the build just stalled again so I though bugger it and stuck on some rocket pods instead. I did take liberties with the flaps though, I doubt if they would be regularly deployed with the aircraft parked but want to show a bit of interest. In hindsight I wish I left them stowed 

I enjoyed the build and it is one of my favourite Naval types, such a graceful (if a bit deadly) plane and glad to finally have one in my collection. She is a bit of a shelf space stealer but in my opinion not one that deserves it wings folded up, it needs to show its graceful lines! Any how, enjoy the photos, apologies for the poor lighting, I rushed them last night and had no natural light, I may have to look into a lightbox or something.

20201208_182806 20201208_182639 20201208_182703 20201208_182752 20201208_182519 20201208_182823 20201208_182849 20201208_182627 20201208_182838

Thanks for looking in and stay safe!

Bob

• Like 71
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant job on a striking-looking aeroplane! I normally don't like it when people do this on other threads, but I feel compelled to do it here - Airfix, please come out with this in 1/72nd scale (and your Javelin also, whilst you're at it)!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement! Its much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Airfix, please come out with this in 1/72nd scale

The perfect accompaniment for the Bucc, Phantom and soon to be released Scimitar*

I have just noticed on the pictures that the rudders are all over the place lol. I havent secured them down so I can address that later!

* No evidence that this will be a soon to be released but one can hope!

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Thanks for the encouragement! Its much appreciated.

The perfect accompaniment for the Bucc, Phantom and soon to be released Scimitar*

You're welcome and I absolutely agree regarding accompanying the Buccaneer, the Phantom, and I would not say no to a Scimitar! Whilst we're dreaming, perhaps they'll scale down their 1/48th scale Seafire FR.46/47. FAA Mania!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

A magnificent build! I'm impressed with the worn look in the cockpit; points to much activity by a variety of flight crews. Never seen that done in a model and it's definitely eye catching.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

I did take liberties with the flaps though, I doubt if they would be regularly deployed with the aircraft parked but want to show a bit of interest. In hindsight I wish I left them stowed 

..ah, I did exactly the same thing on mine- I never did manage to work out out they were stowed-presumably they just 'lay' over the top (or bottom) of the boom ? Anyway, both the kit and your build are magnificent !

• Like 1

I do like the Sea VIxen. it's got a few quirks in it's design which makes it an interesting plane to model. I don't think i'd have enjoyed being the Radar Op sitting in the 'Coal Hole' personally! This is a lovely build IMHO. Well done. Personally I do like the light touch as an approach to 'weathering'. The topside DSG works for me! Flaps down? i'm sure this would have been something seen  but if not.. hey it's your model and interpretation. i'm impressed! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Beautiful looking Sea vixen (they all are of course), but this one is the biz! Love the overall finish, especially the underside subtle but grubby weathering. Also, that slightly tuned nose wheel is an excellent touch.

Well done!

Terry

• Like 1