Lotus 43 BRM, Jim Clark, 1966 US GP Watkins Glen. MFH 1/20.

pg265

Good evening,

British Racing Green is in the spotlight!
I love this magnificent little F1: Thin, racy, equipped with a BRM engine with an unusual architecture (it's an H16) ... and it's a Lotus!
The kit is really superb and the assembly is one of the smartest I have ever seen.
So I started this kit on November 21 ... with an end goal for early 2021.

b233b010.jpg

There will be some rivets to install...
The bodywork elements are all drilled to accommodate the riveting in 0.5 and 0.4.
Part of the assembly is secured by screws; the holes are drilled and tapped at 1.4.
The underside of the chassis is stripped of the embossed Classic Team Lotus logo and a die-cut aluminum foil for the new flat bottom.

a55e2c10.jpg

899c7d10.jpg

157d8c10.jpg

e4842d10.jpg

fe4f1f10.jpg

After the blank assembly of the hull, I immediately proceeded to cut the thermoformed windshields: I will be quieter during the final assembly.

d13b8e10.jpg

The start of the construction of the engine validates the correct installation of its support on the frame, among other things.
I take this opportunity to make all the holes intended to receive all the accessories and equipment of the 16 cylinders.
I took 2 piston / connecting rod assemblies from the engine for a (maybe) later use.

c8dcb810.jpg

0339ba10.jpg

8ca0c110.jpg

ce74aa10.jpg

e9b01410.jpg

4aa88310.jpg

Several painting sessions have been carried out today.
We also had to keep the engine running a bit and move the gearbox and clutch forward.
A few changes are being made to this set and more are coming.

Otherwise, a lot of tests, adjustments, preparation for the assemblies to come ...

78816910.jpg

079bbe10.jpg

e6eb6910.jpg

c8167910.jpg

0754bc10.jpg

53f5f310.jpg

I did a test on one of the proposed cam cover versions and a test on the engine ...
I will use the other, equipped with an engraved and riveted plate, the red version may be useful for a small presentation.
I started connecting the ignition circuit on the lower benches and validated the assembly of the box components.
I like the color, obtained by mixing, but will certainly be worked on a bit.

75cc3a10.jpg

5a7f0310.jpg

4b6b8010.jpg

bc685d10.jpg

1a932910.jpg

53f5f310.jpg

Small comparison with his little sister:
the Type 43 is wider, but thinner on its front part than the Lotus 49.

c0f05a10.jpg

49266410.jpg

I focused on the hull and the interior.
A little riveting, the hull will be finished later.
I decided to use slightly more rounded heads for the cockpit in order to highlight them more due to their location; a kind of scale effect what.
Those of the hull are of the same diameter, 0.5mm, but flatter. The engine support reinforcements will be 0.4.

The cockpit was then primed, painted and worked with oils and the dashboard detailed on both sides.
A vintage photo allowed me to perfect its decoration and put the news in the “Dymo” strip.

The gear lever is detailed with a machined bolt and its washer, its pommel painted in acrylic and oil then dressed with its Lotus logo.
It will receive a light touch of varnish tomorrow.

Some pictures to illustrate my point:

3ee81610.jpg

6222f710.jpg

0a5f1710.jpg

46509410.jpg

5d4da210.jpg

f2084e10.jpg

923e9c10.jpg

cc4f8510.jpg

0aa35d10.jpg

b2ef7310.jpg

Solder for the front tank
Parts primed.

7c66a310.jpg

b9b06210.jpg

b5dd7e10.jpg

Red, Grey and Green.
Enamel, acrylic & polyurethane.

f3b14d10.jpg

644ce710.jpg

I have finished riveting the hull, except for the central part which will be after painting.
I have done a little work on the part of the engine that will remain visible.
the other side will be equipped with the scoop.

91c93710.jpg

fe356610.jpg

3dce5410.jpg

6dad1710.jpg

The engine is almost finished.
As expected, the right side is a little less detailed than the left as it will be fitted with the large intake scoop.
I still installed the injection tubes without connecting them to the pump: we can't see anything anyway...
Two options are available for the scoops: White Metal (without installing the cones) or thermoformed, very thin to install on a "bracket" located between the cones.

The Lucas identification plates (Superb!) Are transferred onto an extremely thin sheet of aluminum.

The upper cam covers have been changed, as planned there too, and fitted with the BRM plates engraved as in reality.
Red paint is diffused by capillary with a fine brush.

Other parts are prepared and then primed.

f7f8da10.jpg

46e2e110.jpg

28d62610.jpg

1e7b0d10.jpg

2b3e0c10.jpg

e1b42d10.jpg

Voilà.
More soon.

Pascal

Edited by pg265
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

What a magnificent build, absolutely beautiful work Pascal! That engine is a real beast! And while I really like everything you've done so far, the gearstick is superb! :)

Really looking forward to seeing this one progress, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Thanks 1

Good evening,

Thank you very much Messieurs  

The assembly continues with a painting session.
Titanium white then Lotus yellow.
I photocopied the decal  sheet onto a Kabuki Tamiya mask sheet.
The copy of the yellow decals is cut and then used to mask the yellow.
Then, British Racing Green and unmask.

d729ca10.jpg

89183b10.jpg

dafa5c10.jpg

8ff04f10.jpg

82690a10.jpg

6a735710.jpg

8ce3ee10.jpg

The engine will be able to be equipped with its filter.

0a789810.jpg

Seam lines removed.

8b417910.jpg

More soon.

Pascal

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good evening,

Thank you!

The varnish is passed and the pieces dry in their box.

598abf10.jpg

2ed25110.jpg

7087e010.jpg

In the meantime, I have done a temporary assembly of the upper frame.
The hoses of the water pipes and installed their clamps are installed.
I have represented the latter in self-amalgamating tape intended among other things ... to repair hoses.

dc339510.jpg

ca90f410.jpg

I also tested a new, easier method for the tires gold ring using a template and a gold pen: it could be improved, but it could be worse.

8a6d8b10.jpg

Pascal

Edited by pg265
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Merry Christmas to everyone!!
I hope Santa has spoiled you and placed some kits under the tree!

Not much time for the model at the end of the year, but we are making progress.

Otherwise, the decoration is at the beginning and the assembly is progressing slowly.
I also made a small aluminum plate for the presentation of the finished model.
I photocopied the instructions on a Kabuki Tamiya mask sheet, as already done for the body parts masks.
I then cut out the lettering freehand ... and it can be improved upon (sighs ...)
Then a fairly thick primer coat followed by a semi matt black coat and a very light sanding with 8000 to give this aspect and this very slight relief effect.
Four rivets, the cam covers for the BRM recall and voila.

d017d910.jpg

c4a99410.jpg

f49c2c10.jpg

f1553510.jpg

53da6d10.jpg

8da38610.jpg

0850cd10.jpg

We are not that far from the end and the next one will certainly be blue!

Pascal

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

That is looking quite sublime Pascal, superb work on a subject that is dear to my heart, driven as it was by probably my earliest boyhood hero. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together.

A belated Merry Christmas to you & yours & Best Wishes from Down Under for a much better 2021 & beyond, to you & all Britmodellers.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up with a few posts, must have missed this at the start of the WIP

Absolutely stunning detail Pascal, I had to go back and check that it was 1/20th as I convinced myself I must have misread and it was 1/12th scale, this makes it even more impressive :) 

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

Good evening,

Thank you very much Mates!

I wish a very happy new year to all of you!

Progress, but few images.
A test allowed me to confirm a problem with the transparency of the decal of the white roundel on the nose.
So I cut out a mask, put on a very light coat of primer, then titanium white.
Here is the result after rapid removal of the masking.
I will wipe it down tomorrow to smooth the outline and apply another decal and the # 1.

5c756c10.jpg

e58e8f10.jpg

951e7e10.jpg

35d80d10.jpg

Pascal:pilot:

• Like 8

Good evening,

Work on the front of the car and more particularly on the radiator and its bracket.
The inside of the radiator is filled in with 1/10 aluminum foil covered with rows of 0.5 lead wire to simulate the coil ... not much can be seen.
The set is adjusted and ready to paint.

560a6510.jpg

5ae61110.jpg

67b62210.jpg

I also worked a bit on the H16 and its exhaust.
Adjusted, sanded and prepared he also receives a weld bead at the exit of the 4 in 1.
A little bi-component tomorrow on the exits and we can move on to primer and white paint.

90496210.jpg

e8f82110.jpg

85fda410.jpg

50ff7310.jpg

A little blank test to validate certain assemblies, but above all to have fun and happy that it is starting to take shape.

1b09ee10.jpg

09db6010.jpg

c13f4810.jpg

Voili voilou.

Pascal:pilot:

• Like 11

Got to say, this one is looking fantastic. I generally try to avoid generic 'looks good' posts without referring to something in particular, but it all just looks so good that I can't pick anything out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1