Magnifier 1/12 Ford GT40

kpnuts

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I think the Shelby-built Ford Mk.II (as the kit is) can claim to be more American than the Ford GT/GT40

That's fighting talk! Chassis built by Abbey Panels in Coventry and nose designed by a Brit Roy Lunn.

Mind you the rest is pretty much All American so you're probably right. :)

@kpnuts, the roll cage wasn't fitted in 1966, only later.

Dave

Started lighting up the GT40, just got to figure out how to make the indicators flash and how to add the fibre optics for lighting up the dashboard

IMG-5571.jpg
IMG-5573.jpg
IMG-5572.jpg

• Like 3

Well KP with what you achieving here you've convinced me to order the Magnifiier one, was waiting for the Meng one but it looks that it will be coming in at around the £260 (unpainted version).

Just paid £64 for the Magnifier one and with what your doing with it and looking at the Meng one it's a no brainer for the cost saving alone, yes the Meng one may be better fitting and have a little more detail, but looking on the Modeller site at a built one I can't see the extra cost justified in the quaility for the extra money

I just had this same conversation with someone else. There are no fit issues on this that ive found so far the only missing part is the distributor andvthats easy to scratch ive studied the pics of the meng kit and I see no real extra detail to justify the price tag over this one.

• Like 1

Things will slow down on this for a while as I'm waiting for a flasher circuit board for the indicators, some fibre optics for the dashboard and some switches to operate all the lights, all due mid to late February. 

Anyway here is the next update on this awesome kit.

IMG-5610.jpg
IMG-5611.jpg
IMG-5612.jpg
IMG-5613.jpg

• Like 3

Well the fibre optics arrived ahead of schedule so I tried them out, well pleased with the results got 2 more to add for the indicators but have to wait for the flasher circuit board.

IMG-5621.jpg
IMG-5621-1.jpg
IMG-5623.jpg
IMG-5624.jpg
IMG-5625.jpg
IMG-5626.jpg

• Like 7

Could you show us how the fibre optics are actually implemented/installed please?  I presume there is a central white LED somewhere out of sight, and then optical fibres cable routing a ‘shaft’ of light from that to each instrument gauge.

Yes pls, elaborate a bit. Also what kind of LED did you use. It throws quite a lot of light through these fibers.

Looking very nice, Ken.

Well I've wasted all weekend trying to get flashing indicators to work (I even bought so called flashing leds, which they didnt) so I've admitted defeat it won't have operating indicators, heres the next installment of the GT40

The leds i used are micro leds from amazon 

Here is the routing of the fibre optics.

IMG-5652.jpg

And here is all I managed to actually do modeling wise all weekend

IMG-5650.jpg
IMG-5649.jpg
IMG-5647.jpg
IMG-5648.jpg

• Like 4

Nice job so far on the GT. It's great to hear there aren't any issues with the fit. 

One of the things I didn't like looking at the pics of the Meng kit is the visible screws that hold the suspension together. I feel they spoil the look and make it a bit too toy like which is a shame. 

Carl

There is 1 other thing missing from this kit, there is no indicator stalk (which is also the main beam ) luckily its a very simple set up so easy to scratch build also the steering shaft is too long and protrudes too far into the cabin (unfortunately I don't have the equipment to alter that but if you had a mill you could) 

Hi all more work on this,ive made some of the many fuel lines.

I bought a tray to use as the base for it to sit on. Can you guess the setting im going to put it in.

IMG-5681.jpg
IMG-5683.jpg
IMG-5682.jpg
IMG-5697.jpg
IMG-5699.jpg
IMG-5701.jpg

• Like 1

This is what happens when you know next to nothing about electronics i ordered the wrong switches they only turn the lights off if you keep them pressed, ive ordered some on off toggle switches hope that works.

IMG-5762.jpg
IMG-5761.jpg
IMG-5763.jpg
IMG-5764.jpg

• Like 3

I should just mention the one draw back with this kit is the steering will never work as the clearance under the wheel arches only gives you about 19 degrees from lock to lock, still a minor detail in my mind (certainly not worth paying 200 more quid for)