Fine Molds 1:48 Kikka

matto21

Hi all, 

I recently picked up this kit from Fine Molds (Finemolds? FineMolds?). Not an aircraft I'm really familiar with, and not a kit I've seen built too often either. Also, I've never built a FM kit before either. 

IMG_20201208_200839

Inside the box, the sprues are surprisingly small. All the pieces have finely moulded (hoho) recessed detail but there's also a lot of flash present on some parts, especially the wings. 

IMG_20201208_200820

IMG_20201208_200738

IMG_20201208_200708

It's a pretty simple kit, but I fancied a change and hopefully it'll build up into something a bit different. 

Matt 

• Like 11

Bit of a start on the cockpit. The rear bulkhead is made up of three, increasingly fragile parts. Belts are homemade by my usual method - they're not accurate, but they look better to my eye than the overly flat appearance of etched ones. 

IMG_20201209_203810

IMG_20201209_203630

The cockpit opening is small and the canopy is moulded closed so not much will be visible anyway! 

Matt 

• Like 9

Hello, 

Bit of Kikka progress in that the cockpit parts have now been painted.

Given its role, you could argue that the cockpit, or actually the entire aircraft, wouldn't get weathered. But where's the fun in that? As mentioned previously, not much will be visible through the closed canopy anyway. 

IMG_20201213_211313

IMG_20201213_211434

IMG_20201213_211458

Matt 

• Like 13

Bit more progress tonight. To be fair, everything has gone together reasonably well so far. The fuselage fitted together OK, but there were a couple of sink marks that needed filling. 

IMG_20201218_231326_055

A bit of plastic strip was needed to close up the gap at the wingroot on one side, but nothing too drastic. 

IMG_20201218_231326_058

The panel lines and recessed detail are very shallow though, and the plastic is a bit soft. This means that any sanding at all almost obliterates the detail, so you have to be careful, especially if, like me, you're not very good at rescribing. 

IMG_20201218_231326_057

Next up is to sort the seam on the nose and them tidy up the underside wing to fuselage joint. 

Matt 

• Like 10

Still plodding on with this, although the main activity each night seems to be filling and sanding at the moment. 

I actually consider filling, sanding and rescribing to be 3 of the modelling tasks I'm worst at. I'm getting plenty of practice at all three at the moment! 

As you'd probably predict, the fit between engine and wing isn't great, and it's taken me the best part of 3 evenings to fit one reasonably well. 

IMG_20201222_222053

IMG_20201222_222122

Happy days! 

Matt 

• Like 11

What a great build of a very interesting plane, Matt! 👍

12 hours ago, matto21 said:

I actually consider filling, sanding and rescribing to be 3 of the modelling tasks I'm worst at.

Same with me, so I use a «sprue glue» instead of the putty and learn how to use the scriber on every kit.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I've picked this up but the recent reorganisation of my model room coupled with the relative success in refurbishing my F-5F led to me picking it back up.

The reason the build stalled was mainly due to the poor fit of the engine parts, and then the poor engine to wing fit. The amount of filling and sanding, coupled with the shallow recessed detail left me feeling pretty frustrated to be honest. 

Anyway, I decided to put these feelings of frustration to one side, accept the flaws and just get it finished. 

The aerial mast has been drilled out and a length of wire inserted for additional strength. 

k1

k2

Painting has commenced. Nothing fancy as it's a simple scheme and I'll be using 3 regular Tamiya paints for this: XF-11 JN Green, XF-12 JN Grey and XF-13 JA Green.

Thanks for looking 

Matt

• Like 8

Painting has started and ended - like I said, just two main colours. 

k7

Getting a green aircraft to look interesting is difficult, without resorting to patchwork preshading which I'm not a fan of. Also have to remember how little use these aircraft would actually have had...but I may do a little bit of post shading once the decals are applied, just for interest!

Thanks for looking 

Matt

• Like 6

And getting there!

Decals were pretty good actually although I had to hand paint the "2" on the tail because it cracked when I applied it.

k15

k14

Undercarriage and wheel fit was not good. The wheels in particular were difficult to get aligned.

All that's left now is the canopy - which needs masking. Oh joy.

Thanks for looking 

Matt

• Like 10

• 2 years later...

Looks good, do you have a picture of it completed with the canopy on. This is favorite of mine.  Especially since it's an unusual a/c. 

Edited by nedburt
Added comment
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 1:50 AM, nedburt said:

Looks good, do you have a picture of it completed with the canopy on. This is favorite of mine.  Especially since it's an unusual a/c. 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here are some pictures of the completed model - I'm not sure if I ever did a RFI topic.

k27,

k23

k30

Unfortunately the model is no more - got destroyed by Royal Mail!

Matt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice Kikka :yes: I have one in the stash myself - can't have a thing about the 262 and not like the Kikka, can I? :D

Mike, I too am quite fond of the early jets, the me-262, Meteor, P-59.. etc..  there was a listing for a 1/48 Sukhoi Su-9K (1946) here on Britmodeller, you may want to read up on..

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 10:04 AM, nedburt said:

Mike, I too am quite fond of the early jets, the me-262, Meteor, P-59.. etc..  there was a listing for a 1/48 Sukhoi Su-9K (1946) here on Britmodeller, you may want to read up on..

I. Ordered it, and hope to do a full review when it arrives. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments - sorry for the (very) belated reply!

As mentioned, I sold the completed model but RM evidently took a dislike to it and destroyed it in transit. 

On 11/6/2023 at 5:31 PM, Thom216 said:

Shame about the model. Looked really good and at least you have the pics to remember it by.

Luckily I do have the photos - my model also featured in a magazine so I have that to remember it by too.

Matt

• Like 1