The Other Tim's 1/48 Revell Typhoon FGR4 - ZJ917 ‘917’ IX (B) Sqn, RAF, RAF Lossiemouth QRA 2021

Tim Moff

(Again, wanted to get this done, seems to be the best GB to do so...

Will get on the way once the Hawk and Tonka GBs done....

No box - I am sure I got this from one of the group here - foggy memory!

zvXUTka.jpg

nrocesB.jpg

been keenly watching @DaveJL build this as I have heard there are issues....

Planned OOB with a PJ Typhoon pilot

PJ481131_1.jpg?t=1597699202

ASRAAMs in a Tonka kit, 4 x MBDA Meteor missile (in the kit I think) plus 2 x tanks - I believe that I will need to create 2 x extra rails for the outside AIM-132s @DaveJL - any top tips - what did you do? So will need to find some aftermarket decals....a line jet maybe?

suuWHGE.jpg

zZz60g3.jpg

aV3pOAQ.jpg

or maybe, just maybe someone will release some IX (Bomber) Sqn decals for the all new night black aggressor scheme....in time....hopefully...maybe...

2A5G7pW.jpg

H9XWb9E.jpg

ABxq5AV.jpg

ooh lala....

73632_1605719682.jpg

SzsJUyv.jpg

50624578863_31b1b44b3c.jpg

Choices choices....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

Nice one mate! If only there were more decals out there for the Typhoons; 2,3, 9, 11, 12 Sqns would be nice! Xtradecal have options for 1 and 6 Sqns but to bring them up to date you need to mix and match a bit.

I’ll have some spare 6 Sqn markings if they’re any use. Not sure if the serials match up to current 6 Sqn machines though. I only bought that sheet to get the correct serials for my 1 Sqn jet.

As for the extra ASRAAM pylons,  I used a couple of LAU pylons from the spares. Not 100% right but they look fine. The pylons themselves are in the kit so you just need to butcher some rails onto them. Easy job.

The worst areas in terms of fit are the air brake, intake and wing join. Other than that it’s not too bad, a bit soft in areas but builds up nicely when it’s done.

I think the PJ pilot is out of date as it doesn’t have the current Helmet mounted sight (looks like a huge brain covered in bumps).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Nice one mate! If only there were more decals out there for the Typhoons; 2,3, 9, 11, 12 Sqns would be nice! Xtradecal have options for 1 and 6 Sqns but to bring them up to date you need to mix and match a bit.

I’ll have some spare 6 Sqn markings if they’re any use. Not sure if the serials match up to current 6 Sqn machines though. I only bought that sheet to get the correct serials for my 1 Sqn jet.

As for the extra ASRAAM pylons,  I used a couple of LAU pylons from the spares. Not 100% right but they look fine. The pylons themselves are in the kit so you just need to butcher some rails onto them. Easy job.

The worst areas in terms of fit are the air brake, intake and wing join. Other than that it’s not too bad, a bit soft in areas but builds up nicely when it’s done.

I think the PJ pilot is out of date as it doesn’t have the current Helmet mounted sight (looks like a huge brain covered in bumps).

Maybe the pilot with the JHMCS helmet would work?

OJZMSbF.png

im not too bothered tbh 

could add some white glue bumps 🤣

cy3PqhR.jpg

Thanks for the top tips and decal offer - will see what I want to do 

are there specific air defence sqns within the force now all airframes are FGR4s, with others to the GR bit, or do all sqns do multi role?

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Maybe the pilot with the JHMCS helmet would work?

OJZMSbF.png

im not too bothered tbh 

could add some white glue bumps 🤣

cy3PqhR.jpg

Thanks for the top tips and decal offer - will see what I want to do 

are there specific air defence sqns within the force now all airframes are FGR4s, with others to the GR bit, or do all sqns do multi role?

As far as I’m aware the only frontline Squadrons which are, or will, be air defence/QRA are IX (along with the aggressor role) and 12 (once they finish their joint training with Qatar).

1435 Flight May also be air defence only.

1, 2, 3, 6 and 11 are all multi role from what I can gather flying the FGR4. 

I’m no expert so happy to be corrected.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Got started after the Xmas break - kit is full of flash, ejector pin marks etc so have got the sanding stick out .... 

once the temps rise I can get out to the garage and prime the cockpit parts and start on that...

The pit decals look quite good but numbers in the instructions don’t tally up to those on the decals !? Can probably work it out but most likely I will get the paint brush and acrylics out !

I watched @DaveJL build with interest and gathered some useful hints so have also started on the periphery areas as well..

seems the PJ Pilot has the nobbly bits on the helmet so it will do the job..

im also planning to close the doors up and use the exhaust nozzles that are in the ‘contracted’ position to show it in rapid flight, full QRA load etc ... 

KjoVDeH.jpg

Al9q5zT.jpg

• Like 5

Bit more work done - lots of cleaning up to do .... still a bit too cold to be airbrushing with lacquer paint so concentrating on prep work and building up bits and pieces

Dmjvtv3.jpg

undercarriage doors a bit of a better fit than the Raptor !

d0u1AQu.jpg

Started on the Meteor missiles - need to  dig out the extra AIM-132 ASRAAMs from my Airfix F3 kit ...

6NQdiB1.jpg

YnZhGRv.jpg

KjoVDeH.jpg

seems the new Striker II helmet is now green rather then the old grey looking at recent pics of aircraft and info on the euro fighter website ...

sonic boom heard in Essex today during the RAF Coningsby QRA launch !

1qAy0xf.jpg

• Like 3

Some more work done 

bYtep2l.jpg

RjNJUtI.jpg

some dry fitting - seems ok but the intake pointy bit at the front looks like it won’t sit flush with the upper area that fits to the horizontal splitter ..,

wZZks6h.jpg

sxvIOeo.jpg

RYaSpVr.jpg

Rw8wLz4.jpg

will see if i need to use some plasticard etc to fill the small area.

have read I will need to look at the side intake bits fit as well...

also had to sheer a lot of the detail off the piece that sits behind the seat as when the canopy has its bulkhead thing fitted it won’t sit in the closed position ...

• Like 5

Start with an action shot...why not!

nZvblSQ.jpg

Intakes and bits, panels etc fitted. Lots of tape and pegs and some clamps getting the fuse together.

Will need to fill the gap behind the IP

5AvJvV3.jpg

tJapwZ1.jpg

bgLUWRR.jpg

Not too far away from paint, I know I have the airbrake to sort which is apparently a pain....once together will get the filler and sander out, then get the nose cone on!

If the 9 (B) Sqn all black decals are not forthcoming, I may have to use the kit decals and see what the serials look like now or look at one of the commemoration schemes available as extra decals...any suggestions welcome...

• Like 3

That's a cracking action shot to provide some inspiration with Tim :D Good progress as well. Have heard the fit of all Revell's Typhoon kits leaves something to be desired but sure you're taming it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

That's a cracking action shot to provide some inspiration with Tim :D Good progress as well. Have heard the fit of all Revell's Typhoon kits leaves something to be desired but sure you're taming it.

Clamped and pegged into submission whilst being restrained by masking tape .... 

• Haha 1

Onto the spine/air brake/canopy rail stage....

bit of work to be done fettling to get it all to fit otherwise the canopy and windscreen won’t fit...

Had to cut off some of the detail on the rear bulkhead to allow the canopy to sit closed as the bit that sits at the rear of the canopy would clearly foul the area...

have taken the seam off the canopy so need to get it cleaned up and polished With the Tamiya polish stuff - never used before.

Will paint up the rear bit and glue it in using the micro glue - it take it that it sits just above and inside the canopy rail @DaveJL rather than flush ? It’s a bit fiddly ....

ssRjYzz.jpg

looks like there will be a bit of a gap with the wings when fitted.

will leave the nose off until I’ve done the filling and sanding as I’ve a history of knocking off the noses of jets while sanding 🤣

• Like 3

If it's the rear cockpit part you're referring to and not the clear part, the sides should sit flush with the fuselage. I'm not sure how the canopy will sit closed as I didn't test fit it in that way. The whole spine and airbrake assembly is probably the worst fitting part of the kit.

• Thanks 1

Got some Mr Filler on the Typhoon and some sanding done to get the wing areas and air brake .

4o2tyfa.jpg

9LxwItU.jpg

ImJuT44.jpg

Initial Sanding

OXVzF3q.jpg

Some to do 

V7lMWD9.jpg

The kit does have its issues but I have to say after looking at references the wing join seam or gap 🤣 does follow the same as can be seen on the actual airframe - so it’s not a matter of actually getting rid of the join as such. It seems to have used the ‘slat extenders’ for the lower join as well as can be seen below.

nZvblSQ.jpg

BqOgHoS.jpg

was hoping to get some more sanding done but didn’t see time today - need to use the warmer temps to get primer on ...hopefully the Mr Surfacer 1500 will fill in any micro holes /gaps 

• Like 4

So to the paint !

7HGwuOA.jpg

1JMvwvi.jpg

bit of MSG/LAG/DSG mottling 

tried these - quite helpful in areas 

J2C9pbR.jpg

did the nose MSG with a drop of brown 

tail tip and leading edge MSG

LOoJmpf.jpg

2yaoIwL.jpg

@DaveJL has kindly helped with some decals and I’m thinking a 1 Sqn airframe 

Using below as a basic reference 

sfv5X0q.png

trying to get a bit more worn though 

got started on the Camo Grey - was a bit cold !

maybe a tad stark but by the time it’s glossed and then Matt finish it takes away some of the effect ...

O3VjJh5.jpg

• Like 4

Some more done 

PezdhFq.jpg

ldyOyRC.jpg

XqrExtZ.jpg

zzar14b.jpg

the gaps around the canopy base, spine  and air brake were winding me up so out came the filler again! Didn’t pick them up at the primer stage ...

tQbm0FR.jpg

8ms1OMn.jpg

4yG04xI.jpg

will sand again and prime / paint ...

will look again at the paint - is it too ‘shady’ ? Too much dark weathering ?

I often think so and it disappears under gloss and Matt cotes ....

will start looking at the metal areas and detail painting - bloody temperatures due down to 0c again for the week 🥶😩

• Like 3

Re-primed and painted - wasn’t totally happy with the shading in some areas so tidied it up a bit using a ref photo 

81IhnF8.jpg

KgsepdB.jpg

4impxJM.jpg

think that will do...

got a mix of MRP titanium/steel at the rear end and got the masking on for the titanium to go on the tail.

7ycso2x.jpg

fjrre3o.jpg

meant to 0c or below for the next few days so may start on the stores decaling etc ....ideally I’d get a gloss cote on before starting the main decals - MRP does lay down as gloss so worst case I could decal direct ....

• Like 3