The Other Tim's 1/48 Revell Typhoon FGR4 - ZJ917 ‘917’ IX (B) Sqn, RAF, RAF Lossiemouth QRA 2021

Tim Moff

Snow day today so I done some hand detail painting. Mainly grills, APU exhaust and also the PIRATE sensor head - getting a bit limited now !

I will maybe try some decals on the stores and see how it goes - Mr Paint is usually fine to decal on as Ming as it’s smooth ...problem is weather is not meant to improve for a week and time is getting short !

Z5TGxs7.jpg

mgyqcBK.jpg

jicpcHa.jpg

• Like 6

Got some more bits done, work on the underside. Will spray over the intake plate again...went a bit wrong!

ZWiuKdz.jpg

9bY8vml.jpg

I have noticed the bands on the live AIM132s are in a different place to whats shown on the instructions so will alter that on mine.

M50ZkUl.jpg\

fezkAv5.jpg

griding to a halt now until I can get the last painting done via airbrush and gloss cote!

• Like 5

Change in weather means I’ve had the airbrush out!

got the titanium on the rudder / tail and a gloss cote on to seal things in

am now thinking a 9 (B) Sqn aircraft - I’d have to use some 1/72 Tonka decals for the tail bat and the Sqn Bars - bat looks ok scale wise, bars a bit small but probably just about ok...

boQp4Wr.jpg

s2GLwQY.jpg

vccGxo1.jpg

wIo9DCI.jpg

some have had the WS - ? Codes in red added - will see if I’ve any decals to work but unlikely ...,

should be able to get the tail serial number codes in white from a Tonka sheet ....

Next decals!

• Like 6

decaling starts 

g1JfqVt.jpg

RZKrowh.jpg

k0pcOca.jpg

the real thing ...

f7WN4qK.jpg

ROA0IvN.jpg

there is a reference without the red tail codes - I promise 🤣

im waiting on some 1/48 Sqn bars, via a Tonka decal set - just to see if that’s a better size .... I’m sure I will build another GR4 in the future so the rest of the decals will be used !

• Like 6

You're doing an impressive job of gathering the right decals to realise this scheme Tim :) it's just a pity the Typhoon isn't attracting more attention from aftermarket decal producers at the moment.

• Like 1

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim's 1/48 Revell Typhoon FGR4 - ZJ917 ‘917’ IX (B) Sqn, RAF, RAF Lossiemouth QRA 2021

Some more decals 

48cIzlc.jpg

Gonna use some Hawk white ‘blanks’ over the Tonka IX Sqn bar and then put the low vis roundel over ... hopefully will work and settle ok - 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

wow, looks fantastic! can't get much more current scheme wise, no?

Cheers 

yep - really wanted to do the black aggressor but no decals yet. So thought I’d do the latest I could - luckily one of the kit serial numbers matches a current IX (B) Sqn jet !

• Like 1

Bit more done 

used 1/48 Tonka Sqn bars with the roundels over the top - seems to work ....

port and topside done, next Stbd and lower areas ...

D9FRLbT.jpg

qPqKTmo.jpg

PBWxfKR.jpg

Tried a bit of Tamiya grey panel line accent and it looks ok - not too much, with a dulcote over it should be ok ..

n14rwrX.jpg

I’ve nicked a couple of AIM9 launcher rails from 1 of my Airfix Jaguar kits for the extra AIM132 missiles - will split from the pylon and shorten slightly - will do for government work !

e1udcrX.jpg

• Like 8

Bit more work and got the decals finished.

Week left to finish off! Need to get the office glued in and finished, some panel lines and weathering and the flat cote.

Udd8xjG.jpg

VBBqTTF.jpg

ikwgP12.jpg

s2N6Ia6.jpg

sKuSt31.jpg

Will start getting all the antennas and bits off the spruce and painted ready for final assembly...

• Like 5

Bit more work with some panel line wash and getting the canopy line removed and polished before masking and painting. I cracked the original - luckily I have the lasted boxing and Revell are kindly sending a new part for that - I will be more gentle this time. I have some sanding sticks and Tamiya polish.

BLKQ4JS.jpg

hGRDfGz.jpg

SGSJyyb.jpg

Toned down the slime lights a bit

xWjLMNu.jpg

used Tamiya smoke for the APU exhaust smoke

ROA0IvN.jpg

Pug318u.jpg

RAF_Eurofighter_EF-2000_Typhoon_F2_Lofti

Final strait so want to get this together this week even if its a few later evenings!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 6

On 3/1/2021 at 9:49 AM, Col. said:

Nice work again Tim. We've a one week extension now so you've 14 days rather than 7 to get these done :) 

Ah thanks!

pushing along with the office and pilot, got the windscreen on - excuse Mollie the Collies snoot protruding off the sofa!

BijyHtF.jpg

The RAF Lossiemouth Comms team taunted me on Friday by publishing some pics of 'The Dark Night' Typhoon ZJ914 WS-T '914' - decals as yet unavailable....

157368792_4152608241438633_1170190673613

157335847_10208485819219092_831421826432

They then further epically trolled me by having it lined up next to my jet ZJ917!!!

157302275_4152608991438558_6257701341449

Colours on mine look ok though...pity I can't get a WS-R in red in 1/48.

xWjLMNu.jpg

Have glossed the stores to lock in the decals, prepped the new canopy, just need to get the stores dirtied up a bit with some dark dirt florys wash, (may stick some around the under cockpit areas too), weather the front of the tanks a bit with some light khaki and get shifting on the final bits. Flat varnish needed then final assembly....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

looks great!

take care the 917 on th fin seems a bit in an odd angle.... 

yep I had to cut the numbers individually from a sheet and the film made it hard to get them perfect aligned ...

im hoping that the slightly nose up angle may be deceiving you now the decals have been sealed in with gloss 🤣

• Haha 1

Last bit of weathering using some floreys wash dark dirt around some of the moving parts and below the cockpit area and rear end where references show the jets to be a bit grimey.

Test fit of the fore planes.

canopy fixed in place. Stores given a dark dirt wash as well.

next will be the flat cote - but there was a tiny gap between windscreen and canopy that I filled with white glue so it may need a quick mist of Camouflage Grey.

WvxPLDj.jpg

PYbpSlw.jpg

I’ve test fitted the exhausts which will go  on once the flat cote is on.

• Like 6

Pretty much done now...

flat cote done with Mr Color GX113 and rapid thinner which gives a really flat finish.

Antennas on, masking off the glass bits.

weapons on ...

just need to get some pics for the gallery tomorrow..

GNtpZze.jpg

z0VCdvT.jpg

IcX3kDj.jpg

KYb0fi0.jpg

some may have spied the start of a Gulf War 1/48 Airfix RAF Jaguar GR1 .....

Thought I’d jump in the GB as there’s some time left and the  F14 ,F4 and F16 GBs are not for a bit ...

• Like 6

Pics in the gallery. Thanks for the tips and advice along the way.

Found this stuff really useful to glue clear parts, some people dip their canopies etc in it in a similar way to those that use Klear floor cleaner.

also great and gluing resin and I used it for some of the antennas and weapons as it does not damage the surface like a traditional glue does and wipes away to leave no residue .... also seems better than the microscale white glue ...

V0KyA4K.jpg

MvnCNyt.jpg

MmiQ1WA.jpg

HkbJKTj.jpg

LeAsHkA.jpg

wcOWPGC.jpg

uuELbGn.jpg

DksLJnh.jpg

CS011x6.jpg

dWeEzOG.jpg

N95YD19.jpg

R3JALbM.jpg

Enjoyed the GB - some amazing builds and a bit of nostalgia as well.

As ever the Britmodeller group have helped each other out.

some great GBs coming up in the year as well!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3