Using varnishes on model

Welsh Bloke

Hi guys, quick question.

If I use Vallejo gloss acrylic varnish on my model and then want a matt finish is it ok to just use Vallejo matt acrylic varnish on top? Or do I have to use an enamel varnish?

Any help greatly appreciated,

WB

Try to avoid using enamel on top of an acrylic coat. The inherent solvent (or added thinner) may wash off the acrylic colour. The sequence should be: lacquer - enamel - acrylic. There may be exceptions resp. necessities to swap the sequence without too much hassle, which I do too.

Others' experiences may differ, but I gave up using Vallejo's matt clear coat, mostly because it rarely dried to anything resembling a matt finish.  Now happily using Windsor & Newton Galeria acrylic matt, which works reliably, every time.  Also better value...

I found out the hard way that enamels on top of acrylics don't work ! I recently built the Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 109F and painted it in ah Eastern front scheme of two greens. I used Humbrol Gloss Cote to varnish it before decalling, but was not happy with the shades that appeared. OK, I thought, I'll just re - coat the dark green, and oh dear . . . It was a disaster 🙁. I THINK Gloss Cote might be a solvent based acrylic, but it certainly didn't like being overpainted !

The model is now in my " Bin of doom " but not to worry, as Santa is bringing me a replacement 🙂

I think this might be gloss cote specific - always had problems with it. Never had any problem with Satin or Matt cote ... or for that matter acrylic (Tamiya/Mr Hobby) over enamel paints and vice versa (provided appropriate drying time is allowed for. I've never used Vallejo though, and it could be it behaves differently being a true water based acrylic

Cheers

Colin

On 08/12/2020 at 23:03, Werdna said:

Others' experiences may differ, but I gave up using Vallejo's matt clear coat, mostly because it rarely dried to anything resembling a matt finish.  Now happily using Windsor & Newton Galeria acrylic matt, which works reliably, every time.  Also better value...

I had a look and there seems to be two W&N Matt varnishes. Matte medium and Matt varnish. Which one do I go for

Just now, AltcarBoB said:

I had a look and there seems to be two W&N Matt varnishes. Matte medium and Matt varnish. Which one do I go for

Matt Varnish

Matte Medium, afair, is a thickener varnish which adds bulk to the paint as well as making it matt, or glossy or silky according to the version

• Like 2

That's the stuff I use and it always gives a good Matt finish.  Make sure you stir it properly as like any Matt the flattening agent will settle in the bottle.  Also I find  it's very very matt so it depends if that's what you're after.

For other finishes I use their satin and gloss varnishes which also do what they say reliably.  You can mix combos of the three types to get the finish you want.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

11 hours ago, malpaso said:

That's the stuff I use and it always gives a good Matt finish.  Make sure you stir it properly as like any Matt the flattening agent will settle in the bottle.  Also I find  it's very very matt so it depends if that's what you're after.

For other finishes I use their satin and gloss varnishes which also do what they say reliably.  You can mix combos of the three types to get the finish you want.

Cheers

Will

Thanks, I went on the W&N website and their seemed to be about 5 things that said they were Matt varnishes. Very confusing.