The Other Tim's Italeri 1/48 F-22A Raptor - 05-4093 - of 90 FS, USAF - Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, 2007

Tim Moff

I thought I'd get this in as a placeholder, so I can crack on once the Tonka/Hawk GBs are completed...

I am sure the F-22A will count as an interceptor!!

ysYqcxo.jpg

The problem is decals - simply no aftermarket available, I have the new Caracal set on backorder with Hannants, am hoping they will be released in time....unless anyone has any 1/48 decals no longer needed!

Will be OOB less the PJ productions F18/18 pilot (apparently the F-22 still does not have the JHCMS helmet) so hopefully reasonably straightforward....

IdeGtxY.jpg

That said the paint work is a challenge apparently - I could go F15C Mod scheme paint colours wise?

f-15_profile02.png

Differences apparent here:

E64C4107.jpg?w=997&h=664

Or use the Revell, or Academy or Hasegawa  instructions as a guideline - same paints in fact - as the Italeri does not look correct...

Revell

1sLPWBV.gif

Academy

dYbSDyO.png

W1JwKfY.png

Hasegawa

jvghg3Z.png

Some say drop in some metallic with the colours as the Raptors do look metallic, but are not HAVE GLASS - I remember seeing them at Lakenheath and they are weird to look at hard to pin down colour wise - so open to any ideas/suggestions - I like to use lacquers like Mr Paint or Mr Color - Enamels are a no go really ....

RAF_Lakenheath_20160417_169_05089.jpg?fi

1-raptor-1.jpg?fit=1024,683

1-raptor-22.jpg?fit=1387,646RAF_Lakenheath_20160503_1_0521_044095.jp

Any ideas on the tint for the canopy? Not sure Tamiya smoke is the right colour?

Looking at the pics there is a lot of scope for artistic licence painting wise given how worn they look! Different nose cone colours

Could be fun - or a disaster -

IMG_0360-01-1600x1600.jpgIMG_1021-1600x1600.jpg

IMG_1020-1600x1600.jpg

or maybe the dark grey should be FS36118 Dark Grey or FS36089

IMG_0571-01-1600x1600.jpg

241-1600x1600.jpg

1-f22-raptor.jpg?fit=1024,683

Choices choices!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 6

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim's Italeri 1/48 F-22A Raptor - subject tbc!
10 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Off white with some grey panels - from those Mach Loop photos? 😉

Chris

Flew down there in a Hawk T1A during a familiarisation ride on my JTAC course......I was defo off white by the time we recovered to Valley 🤣🤢🤮 - great fun and a lifetimes ambition though....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice choice of subject Tim. Is the Italeri kit of a production example or more akin to the prototypes?

Im no expert but they are 91-4001 and 91-4002 on the decals, the first 2 pre-production test model - I am not sure what was changed after but it looks pointy so I will sort some references and do some research - the decals in the box are no good... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Im no expert but they are 91-4001 and 91-4002 on the decals, the first 2 pre-production test model - I am not sure what was changed after but it looks pointy so I will sort some references and do some research - the decals in the box are no good... 

They are externaly, the same.

And yes, decals are not the best.

Do you have alternatives?

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 6:59 PM, exdraken said:

They are externaly, the same.

And yes, decals are not the best.

Do you have alternatives?

I have some on back order from Caracal.....

Others have been made by two bobs - but can't seem to source any....

Well this is just an excellent choice! I made the Academy one (1:72) a couple of years ago. I added a little bit of Silver paint to the greys to try to give a little sheen to them. It was probably too subtle and I could have added more, but in theory it worked. I remember lots of masking too, for the lighter grey all around the edges. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Oh, and the MRPaints I have fallen in love with, can't go wrong with them!

• Like 1

Started after the Tornado and Hawk builds finished - a couple of 1/72 stragglers to finish up with those builds....hopefully get them done now we’ve been added to the Tier 4 list...

The way this kit had been engineered allows a lot of the build to be done before the main assembly. As always, wheels up and in flight. However most models are not designed this way and/or don’t have the undercarriage doors for inflight.... so lots of careful dry fitting to get the best coverage before the filler comes our for the inevitable gaps...

Not much in the way of ref books out there, most of the ones I’ve found concentrate of the development and prototype versions. I’ve ordered an old magazine and it looks like pics on google will be my main source of info.

All the doors will be closed up.

Some interesting challenges:

Decals - there are none - I’ve Caracal ones on back order with Hannants... a plea has gone out on the wanted area of Britmodeller. Worst case would be to buy the Academy boxing for a later build just for the decals....

Canopy - depending on angles and pics, the canopy can have a golden tint ... the idea of spraying a canopy with X22a thinner and maybe Tamiya clear yellow horrifies me 🤣. Apparently you need to dip in Klear first, dry, spray, dry, dip in klear again and dry...

ive seen this recommended but need to read into exactly what to mix it with and how etc...

IfULP21.jpg

apparently it’s a better look if done right - will need to dig out an older or spare canopy to practice ....

Paint - lots of different tips and ways to mix colours with metals etc - will need my F111 paint mule wings ....

scheme - until I get decals I can’t research an airframe so can’t paint etc .... there are plenty of battered looking paint jobs out there though so a black base and some artistic licence may be the order of the day ...

amy top tips welcome 🤣

so some shots of the basic work so far 

30zC1Ky.jpg

fWVRKbX.jpg

udJei4i.jpg

n6bK4Yl.jpg

hH0JAZX.jpg

There are some subtle changes from the kit boxing that need doing to have a basic in service accuracy - the antenna behind the cockpit will be omitted and hole will need filling. I will scan the instructions fir anything else !

packed away for Xmas now so will crack on after.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Im Still beavering away putting all the doors and hatches on before all the main joins ...

That way I can fill and sand a little bit easier - and there will be a lot of that to do once I’ve got to that stage ....

Concurrently I’ve got the needed Mr Paint and Mr Color paints ready for when the temperature rises slightly to allow me to airbrush the engine areas etc that needs to be done before I can close it up and to do some test mixes of the grey/metallic paint I plan to use.

I also need to get on with the hand painting of the basic pit, seat and PJ Pilot... not much in the way of cockpit references, I’m waiting on a magazine and will use anything online ...

@exdraken has been really kind in trying to send me the much needed decals I need only to find they won’t allow him to send to UK  because of the Covid /Brexit issues - thanks for trying !

Im hoping this may change, or the Caracal decals are finally released soon... the nuclear option is to buy the academy kit from Hannants just to get the decals ... at £40 plus p&p it’s rather expensive as I suspect it’s only got one set of stencils so if I ever built the kit in the future I’d have just ‘kicked the can down the road’ decals wise !

si5Whoh.jpg

kfXKqlh.jpg

3RyQC5U.jpg

IIpho2m.jpg

Can see the gaps with an arty light shot 🤣

2bsM9Iq.jpg

V4BeWvU.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Bet you've had fun getting all those doors to fit Tim :( Hopefully the decal situation will resolve itself for the good soon one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...

a bit of filling and sanding - not my best or favourite skill but plenty needed if you want this kit closed up and in flight!

REScjjZ.jpg

Test fit of the canopy before I try to tint it orange .... I’ve been told to use the Gunze Aqueous mixed with X22A Tamiya acrylic thinner and X22 clear ? Through the airbrush slowly building up layers... Any advice /views? Do I spray the inside or outside of the canopy, or both ?

RyzPkdq.jpg

Some gaps in the frame filled 

ApcmFiL.jpg

G6lJZjp.jpg

pilot on the way 

aP3VeOP.jpg

EKij9XW.jpg

4g6yGnG.jpg

got in the shed today to get some mire priming done as it was a balmy 5C here in Colchester 🤣

getting warmer so hopefully get some of the titanium and exhaust sprayed abs start closing it up...

will leave the seat and pilot out, just mask the area up, canopy will be last item attached .:. As long as I don’t mess it up 🤣

• Like 4

Oh - breaking great news that @exdraken has managed to get the decals into the post so hopefully they will arrive just at the right time ! Thanks again Werner - this forum really helps each other out, however difficult it may be...

will need to get my spare F111 wing paint mules re - primed to look at the Mr Paint mix and the  MrColor option to see which metallic/paint mix works best ...

• Like 3

But more done in the pit area and back end 

FyB9WCz.jpg

lost the stick somehow  - no throttle quadrant - so made a couple using bits from the undercarriage !

plan to leave seat and pilot out and just add them and the tinted canopy at the end.

I primed the frame and painted it FS36375 - same colour to be used on the leading and trailing edges - apparently they carry radio antennas nd other sensors etc so they don’t poke out to disrupt the stealth effect...

zq3sOq0.jpg

0SmqKPn.jpg

zq3sOq0.jpg

Have since masked the frame and put and joined the lower /upper nose pieces...

now to get on with the bulk of the build, apparently the intake extensions are a pain and need carefully attaching earlier than instructed ...

primed 2 wing mules with mr Surfacer 1500 to try the Mr Color/MrMetal mix and Mr Paint for that mix ...

7VZd9h8.jpg

still undecided with the plan - base colour then darker sploges using a home made paper mask or stick on the dark colour freehandish then mask Em up before applying the lighter colour ...

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Now there's an interesting finish! Looks as if the Have Glass paint doesn't weather well. Are you tempted to replicate those effects on your one?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Now there's an interesting finish! Looks as if the Have Glass paint doesn't weather well. Are you tempted to replicate those effects on your one?

Its tempting but quite hard to achieve I expect....I may try to some areas where the panel lines are darker, maybe the cheek area etc...

Starting to get close to paint, got the main nose join and nose to fuselage join and intakes in place,,,

Lots of test fitting first...

a06SjVu.jpg

Intakes on...and test fit the upper piece. Will be a small gap to fill I feel.

wW9lELB.jpg

Will need to try and line up the panel lines, glue. clam and then fill/sand and if needed re-scribe a bit.

YTScNfM.jpg

• Like 3

resized_997eb4d7-aed3-46b6-9464-14df01f7 Nice build so far. I managed to get a fairly respectable transparent gold on the canopy for my F117 using Tamiya titanium  gold allowed to settle and then carefully brush painting the separated paint on ( if that makes sense)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

resized_997eb4d7-aed3-46b6-9464-14df01f7 Nice build so far. I managed to get a fairly respectable transparent gold on the canopy for my F117 using Tamiya titanium  gold allowed to settle and then carefully brush painting the separated paint on ( if that makes sense)

Looks good ! I take I you mean putting some paint in a dish to allow the carrier and ‘pigment’ to separate, then brush painting on the pigment ?

TbnJARw.jpg

getting on with the main joins 

eQ47gB3.jpg

9gCDAy4.jpg

intakes look ok, apparently they can be troublesome if left til after the main fuse, so got em on early.

BtR2SQC.jpg

need to get out and try the canopy tint on the spare hurricane cockpit and want to look at the 2 paint job options - but will need the freezing conditions to warm up before I can use the airbrush ...

have a couple of weeks leave in Feb split between a week so hopefully can use the time well, weather permitting!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

! I take I you mean putting some paint in a dish to allow the carrier and ‘pigment’ to separate, then brush painting on the pigment

Yes put more eloquently than I did. In my case I just hadn’t used the paint in months so it was nicely separated already.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Some more filling and sanding done 

Qk7RXnU.jpg

ZPvvCfH.jpg

EcSx9PD.jpg

got my post delayed reference msg with some great references and pictures 

CYSSVvG.jpg

tH8xvEH.jpg

mDOfmt0.jpg

Nearing the primer stage but really want to look at both options primer wise be it Mr Paint or Mr Surfacer and then the pre tested colours...

I don’t want to miss the weather so I may just go for Mr Surfacer and test both colour options over that on my paint mule wing ...

• Like 3