Revall 1/32 Mustang. First build in 13 years

Gantt

hello, first build in 13 years, i guess i should finish the '69 Camaro i never finished in 2007......

I spotted this kit while buying some paints, I couldn't pass it up, as the Mustang is one of my favorites, and the large scale should be fun.  i have around 30 kits already, and i decided more than once on the first kit to be built, then i bought this kit saying it would be the first..    I have read about some issues with this kit, and many honestly are not going to bother me.  I am simply not at the connoisseur stage of model building so will be happily ignorant about some of the flaws this kit has.. Have not decided if i will display this model gear up and hanging from the ceiling, or gear down. 

we just moved to a new house, and i have marked my territory for one of the basement bedrooms as MINE!!   

I hope to start Sunday morning, Its still deer season and i have not filled my freezer to capacity yet.   still have to make time to hunt

• Like 3

Finally had time to Get my work area set up.   Starting slow, it’s been so long I almost feel like it’s my first time!!

got one wing glued together, painted the gear struts.   
spent most of the evening cleaning and repairing my old models.   Grabbed them from my parents house today, after almost twenty years hanging from the ceiling, it looks pretty bare now.   
a PBY and a P-51, I was very happy with the BPY when I finished these two.  
a spitfire is still getting its gear glued back, and a P-40 is getting the main wing and one wheel glued back.   

I need to figure out how to post pictures on this forum.  

think I got the pics figured out.  Always best to read the instructions. 

painted the cockpit this morning, the zinc color I have is very yellow, I’ll be getting some more on the green side and repainting it.  Forgot to snap a pic of it.   Looks like mustard.  I have discovered that I am in need of reading glasses.   

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

swapped over to model master green zinc.    The yellow is showing through pretty bad, most parts got two coats of green zinc and I still have some touch up to do.   Pretty much lost all detail with so many coats of paint. 
I was thinking of making the gear look like it was halfway through a retract.  One side higher than the other, like you see in real life.  
might just do wheels up and be done with it.  Might skip hunting this weekend and spend time in the basement.  The familiar feeling is back,  I could spend hours working on a model.  Like reading a book, I finish a chapter, only to start the next  

Welcome Gantt! i like your flyingboat ! i bought the Revell Mustang bubbletop kit this year so will follow your build with interest. might be better to just strip the cockpit paint and start with the green zinc? i've done this a few times..took the whole paint off a He111 because it looked wrong.. 

@Col Walter E Kurtz what do you use to strip the paint?  I’ve used pine-sol years ago but it would sometimes make the plastic soft. 
@bigbadbadge thanks, the flying gas tank is missing two prop blades now.  Stuff tends to age well when hanging out of the way.  She might not get the attention the fighters get, but many an airman owed their life to the PBY. 

• Like 1

Gantt. if it's

1.water based acrylics.. i use isopropal alcohol. Soak it for a couple of mins then gently tease the paint off with cotton buds and a small stiff bristled paint brush. Repeat this process a couple of times until you are happy. Then i'd soak in clean water and rinse a couple of times.

2. Enamels i'd use white spirit- similar process. This is a bit harder to do as enamel dries to a harder coating.

3. Never tried this with Laquer paint..

• Like 1

cockpit is finished, fuselage is assembled.  sanding and filling seams now. 

started filling and sanding seams on a 1/72 Sabre in Japanese colors as well, and doing prep work on a 1/72 Voodoo.    I forgot how addicting modelling is!!   

Pics this evening.

Wings installed.   Time to tape it up and hit it with some primer.    Then sand down to see where I need more filling/sanding.   
I mixed silver, rust and black to get the color for the manifold tubes.  I was going for a discolored steel look. 
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

@Biggles87 possibly.   I work on it an hr before leaving for work each morning, and usually around four hours both Saturday and Sunday mornings.   It’s coming along well, making mistakes as I get my feet back under me.  I also spend some of that time on a few other models at the same time.  
@Dr. Quack

thank you!!    

• Like 1

Almost done with the decals, then will spray a matte clear finish.   I am not happy with the decal stripes.   Next time I’ll mask and paint them.   Live and learn.  Thinking about picking up another kit like this today, I’d like to build another and want to make the improvements in technique while the mistakes are still fresh in my mind.   spacer.png

• Like 1

Decals; or water transfers as you limeys call them, are on.     Sprayed with matte gloss clear coat and the decals are wrinkled up something awful.   First time I’ve seen that personally. 
I picked up another kit like this, and next time I will make stencils and paint the majority of the decals instead.    Watched a few videos on using the decal sheet as a pattern and thin masking tape to cut the shapes out perfectly.    
nothing like having an issue pop up and really put a dent in the models quality.   

Not seen this before with decals (I'm a Brit).  Did you protect them with a gloss varnish before the Matt, I use Johnsons Klear floor polish and this will protect your decals.  This has been superceded by a newer Polish but I don't have my bottle to hand at the mo so can't recall what the new one is but it's good stuff.

Looked good in the photo. 

Chris 

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Not seen this before with decals (I'm a Brit).  Did you protect them with a gloss varnish before the Matt, I use Johnsons Klear floor polish and this will protect your decals.  This has been superceded by a newer Polish but I don't have my bottle to hand at the mo so can't recall what the new one is but it's good stuff.

Looked good in the photo. 

Chris 

No, I didn’t.    I’ll have to try that on spare decals and see how it goes.   I’ve never run into this before.   Here is a few pictures of the after effects of the matte finish.  
it appears the only decals effected are ones that do not lay flat on the model.   Rivets causing the decal to not lay flat.   Maybe the matte caused air pressure differences under the decal where an air pocket was present.   spacer.pngspacer.png