Realistic Normandy Bocage/Trees

NeiSew1940

Hi all, I'm planning a Normandy diorama, set in the bocage hedgerows and was after some recommendations on any realistic tree products. I've purchased various scenic products to create the hedgerows themselves but I'm struggling to find some realistic trees to use. I was wondering whether anyone could make some recommendations please? Failing any decent kit trees I'll have to try and make my own but thought I'd ask the question first. Many thanks in advance.  

Edited by NeiSew1940
Tags added

Raid the model railway shops/online stores, or even buy a magazine and browse through all the adverts.  There are some spectacularly good model trees fit for 00 gauge which would match 1/72 scale (real scale trees would be far too big) but then you didn't mention scale.  Possibly there are some in O gauge (1/43) that would match 1/35 scale.

48 minutes ago, NeiSew1940 said:

but I'm struggling to find some realistic trees to use. I was wondering whether anyone could make some recommendations please? Failing any decent kit trees I'll have to try and make my own but thought I'd ask the question first.

I will put a @Badder  in here.  look up his threads, there is a very long one about diorama bases,  and making realistic vegetation.    

Many ready made trees are, unfortunately, both expensive and not very realistic.

Wire frame trees are cheap, easy to make and can be made to represent most, if not all, species. Check out 'You Tube' for some informative video's such as the one linked here (no connection to video maker just picked at random).

Beware tree's are larger than many people model - a mature tree would be around 60 - 80 ft tall - about 12" (300 mm) in 1/72 or 24" (60 mm) in 1/35 scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0je7Mr2LBGY&ab_channel=1%2F35ScaleDioramaBuilds

• Thanks 1

Use Seafoam plants for trees, very good for smaller trees or saplings, right up to medium size. If you do them or and paint them they look very good, especially with some fine scatter for 'foliage' (I work in 1/72 mainly). They are expensive if ordered from model railway suppliers, I got some seed and grew my own!

9 hours ago, James G said:

I got some seed and grew my own!

Sounds like that would be worth a thread of it's own.   

off to have a search on this.....

PS oh that was easy "seafoam plant seeds" get a load of hits, and this 

https://steamtraininfo.com/for-modelers/scale-model-scenery/how-to-make-trees/growing-seafoam

Good luck Troy. When I say 'I grew my own' I told a small lie, my dad grew them for me as he has far more gardening expertise! Apparently they are a bit tricky to grow. After they were harvested I learned them with a water/ glycerine mix and dried them out, then they are ready for use on a diorama. 

• Like 1

Hi NeiSew,

I see that Troy linked me in, (I feel famous! lol) but here's a link to how I made a large 14 inch tall tree, plus a hedgerow, ivy and lots of other plants. It's a very long thread but work on the tree starts at page 28 IIRC. The link takes you to page 29, cos I'm stupid lol. Hope it helps.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1