Jaguar GR.1 XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'

DaveJL

Hello all,

Regarding Op Granby Jaguar GR.1 XX725, could anyone advise me what squadron this jet was attached to? I've a decal sheet that says 41 Sqn, but online resources say 54 Sqn?

Cheers

Dave

55 minutes ago, Muzz said:

SAOEU was the Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit. Became 41 (Reserve ) Sqn I think.

Ok cheers, so would it have been an operational Squadron during Granby? Like I say my decal sheet states it’s 41 Sqn (kitsworld) but online sources say 54.

SAOEU became the FJOEU and didnt get renamed 41 Sqn until the late 00's. 41 was still an operational Jag sqn in 1991.

Think JagRigger is saying the airframe was with 54 Sqn at the time of OP Granby.

The Granby Jag's were pooled, and flown by whatever Sqn was in the Sandpit at the time, multiple Sqn's during the actual wartime period I suspect.  As another poster states XX725 spent time post Granby with SAOEU, but I think was with 54Sqn for a lot of it's time at Colt, coded 'GU'.  41 was the recce Jag Sqn (before disbandment and numberplate transfer to FJWOEU, which superseded the SAOEU), and generally operated Jag's with a serial prefix of XZ.

Hope that helps :)

Dave, the Sqn that operated the Jags during Op Granby was numbered 41 Sqn (Comp Sqn) as it was made up with aircraft from all Sqns at Colt, but under the leadership of 41 Wg Cdr. This is probably why the decal sheet says this. In the Gulf all the Jags carried a single letter coding.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Dave, the Sqn that operated the Jags during Op Granby was numbered 41 Sqn (Comp Sqn) as it was made up with aircraft from all Sqns at Colt, but under the leadership of 41 Wg Cdr. This is probably why the decal sheet says this. In the Gulf all the Jags carried a single letter coding.

Thanks Mark!

What code would this jet have carried? Only GU is included in the sheet.