F-18 Super Hornet incident

Mick4350

Today at Amberley Air Base there was an incident involving a F-18 Super Hornet where both crew ejected from their aircraft when they tried to attempt a take off from the runway. The crew made it out safely, but the unmanned aircraft lumbered down the runway to run off the end and crash with its nose wheel collapsing when it stopped. It's too early to say what happened.

• Thanks 1

Yes Happy they got out, they might feel a bit silly seeing the aircraft rolling along but im sure they had a reason to punch out. Better to be alive and feel a bit silly than to be brave an ride it in to a fatal.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

WSO: "Mate, I'm not happy with the takeoff, we should reject."

Pilot: "EJECT? Righto!"

[pulls eject handle]

Allegedly back in the eighties or nineties a Tornado pilot had a near miss with another jet. He apparently said F**k or F that or whatever. The Nav duly  command ejected both of them. 😔

The fact that the F18 survived the incident probably won't be held against the crew. Somewhere on YouTube there's a USAF video emphasising that far too many aircrew died trying to retrieve a situation when there was plenty of time to eject. I suspect the RAAF offers similar advice. 

3 hours ago, noelh said:

The fact that the F18 survived the incident probably won't be held against the crew. Somewhere on YouTube there's a USAF video emphasising that far too many aircrew died trying to retrieve a situation when there was plenty of time to eject. I suspect the RAAF offers similar advice. 

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Happy to know they're both healthy and walked away pretty much in one piece. I’m amazed at just how much smoke staining around the cockpit from the ejection there was. 

I only say this because we know that the crew is okay.

This could make an interesting diorama?

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Happy to know they're both healthy and walked away pretty much in one piece. I’m amazed at just how much smoke staining around the cockpit from the ejection there was. 

Full burn on the seat due to the altitude maybe? The millisecond that handle is pulled the seat pretty much knows everything and works accordingly. A testament to how far MB have come. 

• Like 1

Apparently when this occurred yesterday at 2.30pm, there was another three Super Hornets waiting to take off after this one on the runway. Now 35 aircraft are grounded until they can figure out whats wrong with the fleet.

Wonder if its a FOD thing ? I wonder if they started to take off and one or both of the engine(s) ingested something. The crew could’ve decided it was better to punch out rather than risk the roll out. Possibly before the engine ate it self or maybe they didnt have enough runway left to stop the jet in time ? 

• Like 1

Both engines lost power on take off (i.e stopped), one witness on the fence after the aircraft had rolled to a stop mentioned the smell of fuel so it could have been some sort of fuel leak.

Looks like the aircraft will be repaired as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

How is the teack record of Australian Superhornets? 36 in all, no?

I have the feeling that they are either used a lot, or .... engine issues?

Well, we've had them for ten years now, and only lost one through an engine fire whilst in the US, and this one which should be returned to service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I’m amazed at just how much smoke staining around the cockpit from the ejection there was. 

Rocket motors from modern a zero zero seat, The Tornado also had a rocket type motor as part of the canopy jettison system so may be the F18's has something akin to this.  

To effect both engines it has to be fuel related or a multiple bird strikes on both engines 

Edited by tweeky
additional info
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 10:26 AM, noelh said:

Somewhere on YouTube there's a USAF video emphasising that far too many aircrew died trying to retrieve a situation when there was plenty of time to eject.

The systems and sensors on modern seats are remarkable compared to older versions. The modern seat will compensate a large amount of thrust to send the seat vertically - even when ejecting horizontally. It really wants to go upwards!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 8:25 PM, Blimpyboy said:

Here's a write-up of the incident, from the 02 2022 edition of the ADF's Spotlight aviation safety publication (pages 16-21).

https://defence.gov.au/DASP/Docs/Media/Spotlight/Spotlight0222-Investigation.pdf

That might be one of the best incident right ups I've read. Thank you!

• Like 1