Advice wanted for airbrush setup

Gantt

I want to get into airbrushing pretty soon, as i am trying to up my quality of builds.   i have no knowledge, only what i have read during research on the subject.    i have a 3 gallon compressor in my workshop, noise is no concern to me, and neighbors are more than a mile away.  would it be beneficial for me to regulate and dry the air from this compressor or stay with a purpose built unit?      

please point me in the right direction for what type and brand to buy for each component.   i have learned that uneducated purchases tend to be wasted money.   i know i need a tank vs tankless, aside from that i an clueless.    i want to spend around 200 dollars, more or less. i understand a lot of you fellows are from the UK, i can research and find the best source for here in the U.S. so not worried about where to buy so much.

thanks in advance!!

and get ready for paint related questions!!!

based on what others have said in other posts i was looking at this airbrush.

https://spraygunner.com/harder-steenbeck-evolution-cr-plus-2in1/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4ni9vUgLTGitlgAZbSTuCRq7HbSVqy5o4VtPVha4GqC3LLvlUV_jbuUaApAhEALw_wcB

on the fence about a compressor.     i may cheap out and use my 3 gallon compressor with a dryer and regulator, i only use that compressor to pump up tires so it does not get used often.     then i could spend the money on a good airbrush vs buying a cheaper one and a compressor as well at the same time.   down the road i would likely get a purpose made compressor.

i have a cleaning pot, and cleaning kit on the list,

regulator with built in water trap, long hose for the air brush. 

am i missing anything?

Personally I will never get an H&S ever again.  I cursed at mine for 3 months straight before I sold it and went back to Iwata.  Right outta the box I was spraying, but that is also what I had been using for the last 15 years or so.  Now to each their own.......you'll see plenty of people that love their H&S.  I went with the Iwata HP-C+.  Eventually I will add one of the 0.18mm GSI Creos that you see on SprayGunner.

Compressor wise......for years I used just a spare tank like you'd fill a tire up with.  Then I switch to a Campbell Hausfeld "Quiet" unit, which was decently quiet for a $100-200 compressor.  But that finally died last year...........well not dead but something is starting to go inside.  I replaced it with one of the "Tooty" No Name compressors on SprayGunner.  It works great as in pretty quiet.  It will not startle you everytime it runs.............unless you thought you turned it off the night before and then you are sitting there working and it kicks on.  I can't even hear it in other parts of the house if it runs.

Can't comment on the cleaning pot, never have used one in my 25-some years of airbrushing.  I just spray into an empty jar.  But have thought about getting one, not sure the benefit though.

I just use the water trap that's on the regulator.  Never had an issue with water on my hobby compressors.  Now on the big shop compressor that generates more heat............yes.

I would suggest a spare needle.  I seem to bend them up like crazy.  The old .35mm airbrush I had, I don't think I ever bent a needle (maybe once).   But this new .3mm on the Iwata HP-C+ I've bent several times in the past year.

If you are happy with the noise of your compressor then just add a moisture trap regulator and away you go, no need for another one.

Regarding airbrushes you really need to handle a few as the choice is completely personal, I have had H&S airbrushes in my stable and they went the journey in fact they are the only airbrushes I got rid off and I m currently running Efbe, Iwata Aztek Badger and My hobby airbrushes all with complete satisfaction for their chosen jobs and I thoroughly enjoy using each and every one. Not so with H&S brushes however just didn't cut it, the feel, look  and use was all wanting, they sprayed paint as it said on the can but they held no relish for me. Nothing wrong with them per se they just didn't suit me.

I'm not saying don't get H&S just try some out afore you spend just in case what you get doesn't suit you, if your tools make the job a chore then it has no place in what is supposed to be a relaxed and fun dalliance