1/72 & 1/35 - Bedford QL Refueller & Tanker by IBG Models - 1/72 released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bedford QL Refueller by IBG Models - box art+3D renders+schemes - release December 2020
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bedford QL Refueller by IBG Models - box art+3D renders+schemes+sprues - release December 2020
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bedford QL Refueller by IBG Models - released

Yes Sniper UK , I agree but unless Iconicair jumps in I don`t think there`s much chance of one in 1/32nd , a pity , I remember them well .

I`ve built three IBG QLs , apart from a couple of missing details they`re good ! . ` Once rode up through the desert from El Hamra to Fayid

in the back of a QL Trooper , great fun . 

Don .

Don 

Your prays have been answered  . . .

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/military-kits-c5/ibg-1-35-royal-air-force-bedford-ql-tanker-ww2-military-model-kit-p18053

but what you really want for your Lancaster Don is the AEC refueller  . . .

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

On 12/14/2020 at 6:04 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

As IBG already do a QL series in 1/35 I doubt they’d retool to 1/32 and file instead as ‘who’d notice the difference’👍

TT

That would be the QL-D version I think . . . . but the refueller is coming in 1/35th as well and if it looks as good as the new 72nd then it will look delicious  . . . 

Not quite Ian , the refuelling booms are missing . And yes those AEC bowsers were beauties , especially the 6 x 6s .

Don .

The refuelling booms were generally seen postwar.  There is a series of photos of the AEC with a Stirling.  Given that the boom system was used prewar it seems odd that it was apparently abandoned - unless you know better, of course.  However with dispersal being the norm there would be no need for multiple simultaneous refuellings.

I've seen three different versions of the QL: one with hoses stored non-obviously (at least to me), one with containers on the top as on the Airfix AEC very late war, and the ones with the booms for the jets.  I have seen at least one photo of an AEC postwar with the boom system.

• 1 month later...

I have this kit and yes it is a huge improvement on the Airfix version but what I really want to do is convert it to a WW2 version without booms. I can see that it would be feasible to open the rear doors and but in some scratch built hose reels but the non boom versions also had some additions on the top of the vehicle any advice on this would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, Tempest V 20mm said:

I have this kit and yes it is a huge improvement on the Airfix version but what I really want to do is convert it to a WW2 version without booms. I can see that it would be feasible to open the rear doors and but in some scratch built hose reels but the non boom versions also had some additions on the top of the vehicle any advice on this would be appreciated.

My advice would be don't convert it - build it as is unless you really absolutely must have the early version NOW!

IBG have released the early version you want in 1:35 scale as the Bedford QL Tanker

Check the etch sheet in your kit, titled 72081-82 Bedford QL Tanker and Refueller - your kit is 72082 Bedford QL Refueller - so I'd surmise that kit 72081 Bedford QL Tanker will represent the earlier version and will be released in the not too distant future.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:30 PM, Graham Boak said:

The refuelling booms were generally seen postwar.  There is a series of photos of the AEC with a Stirling.  Given that the boom system was used prewar it seems odd that it was apparently abandoned - unless you know better, of course.  However with dispersal being the norm there would be no need for multiple simultaneous refuellings.

I've seen three different versions of the QL: one with hoses stored non-obviously (at least to me), one with containers on the top as on the Airfix AEC very late war, and the ones with the booms for the jets.  I have seen at least one photo of an AEC postwar with the boom system.

Graham

The AEC with booms, Mk.IV version was introduced sometime in 1945. I have seen photos in books of them on wartime airfield refuelling Lancasters  . . . 

AEC-Tanker-034.jpg

Model based on example seen at RAF Station Elsham Wolds.

• Like 1

I'd echo what Dave said , I've build the 1/35 QL over the Xmas break, and there are moulding marks that have to be removed  on the main tank that suggest that a Boom version will be coming 

As for out of scale ,,

spacer.png

Doesn't look too far out against a 1/32 aircraft does it?

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 & 1/35 - Bedford QL Refueller by IBG Models - 1/72 released - 1/35 release late February 2021
  • 1 year later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 & 1/35 - Bedford QL Refueller & Tanker by IBG Models - 1/72 released