Finished: Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter X - KW280 MB-M of 236 Squadron, August 1944

Hello everyone

I've just completed the Airfix Beaufighter X, so I thought I'd post some images of the finished model. It's my first ever Beaufighter, which, considering how much time and pocket-money I spent on models in my youth back in the 1970s and 1980s is a bit of a miracle...

There's a Work in Progress thread here:

As I mentioned in the W.i.P. thread, I chose this particular Beaufighter as it had a local connection to the North East, as its pilot, Flt. Lt. James Davies Taylor, D.F.C., was born in Sunderland in 1921. He served with 236 Sqn, was awarded the D.F.C. in October 1944, but was killed whilst serving with 84 Squadron in Indonesia on December 8th 1945.

It's been a very enjoyable build, with some pretty minor hiccups along the way - it was certainly more 'shake and bake' than the Airfix 1/72 Blenheim I did before it...:whistle:

It's pretty much 'mostly' OOB, with a few extra aerials, some scratchbuilding in the middle and rear fuselage (which needless to say you can't really see...), Eduard etch sets for the cockpit and undercarriage, Quickboost exhausts and my own decals printed by DrawDecal for the MB-M codes. Base is my own, done in Photoshop and spraymounted onto a sheet of 3mm polyboard.

Anyway, on to the photos:

airfix-beau-x-68

airfix-beau-x-70

airfix-beau-x-71

airfix-beau-x-73

airfix-beau-x-74

airfix-beau-x-83

airfix-beau-x-82

airfix-beau-x-81

airfix-beau-x-80

airfix-beau-x-78

airfix-beau-x-77

airfix-beau-x-76

airfix-beau-x-75

I had some great fun with the weathering, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Thumbs up to Airfix for such a great kit.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

An excellent model. The pictures provide a good overview.  The weathering around nacelles and on the undersurfaces is perfectly done. I also like the old newpaper article that is used for the display. 

Superb paint and weathering, and well presented. My only slight query is the fuselage codes - they appear quite bright. But overall, very nice,  and I love the neat AEAF stripes.

Great work, Simon. 

Getting the balance between factory fresh and ready for the scrapheap is always a challenge but you've hit the sweet spot with this build. I don't have a Beaufighter in my collection but I think I'll have to add one now!

Great work - you certainly did better with the Eduard etch that I did! The rockets look fab too. I tried to mask & paint the various rings on mine but failed miserably!

Edge

Thank you all for the very kind words. :blush:

With regards to the MB-M codes, the photos do make them look a little bit brighter than they are. I agree that maybe could have been a little darker, but my excuse is that on the real thing they were re-applied after the D-day stripes were added to the airframe and so look a little fresher than the rest...:whistle:

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 7 months later...