HMS Espiegle - 1946/47 colours?

Chris Jephcott

Good afternoon all,

I’m deep into another round of “maritime madness” - following the successful build of my Polish Grandfather’s ORP Garland from WW2, I’m now starting the Sterling Models 1/350 Algerine Class Minesweeper with the intent of doing it in the markings he served on in 1946/47. 

So... Does anyone have any photos of the boat during this period? 

I am aware of a postcard which is widely available and have found the following image:

http://www.talhandaqnostalgia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pid=5668#top_display_media

This seems to suggest that the Espiegle had a 2 colour hull, however, the postcard features the image on this page:

https://www.worldnavalships.com/directory/shipinfo.php?ShipID=1973

Suggests a single colour hull with no pattern? 

Either way, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this at all? 

I also have questions regarding the load out (20mm or 40mm guns) and the style of the bridge (early v late!), however, I am sure that such things can be discerned from photos.

If anyone can help at all, please let me know!

very many thanks in advance,

Chris 

Edited by Chris Jephcott
Autocorrect changing title of thread!

• Chris Jephcott changed the title to HMS Espiegle - 1946/47 colours?
26 minutes ago, Chris Jephcott said:

http://www.talhandaqnostalgia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pid=5668#top_display_media

This seems to suggest that the Espiegle had a 2 colour hull, however, the postcard features the image on this page:

https://www.worldnavalships.com/directory/shipinfo.php?ShipID=1973

Suggests a single colour hull with no pattern? 

Either way, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this at all? 

Hi Chris

Both photos look to be a single colour hull and upper works to me, and as both appear to be taken in Malta, I'd suggest Light Grey 507C / G45 

46 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Chris

Both photos look to be a single colour hull and upper works to me, and as both appear to be taken in Malta, I'd suggest Light Grey 507C / G45 

Hi Dave,

thank you very much for this. I’m just a little curious on this photo (hopefully it works!)

9DCFFB3C-6DAD-4B4A-BAC3-8A4D38D2C5E9

where I’ve highlighted, there’s a demarcation line - I don’t believe it’s substantial enough to say that it was two different colours? But maybe an over paint that was wearing thin??

Any thoughts and many thanks again!

chris 

30 minutes ago, Chris Jephcott said:

where I’ve highlighted, there’s a demarcation line - I don’t believe it’s substantial enough to say that it was two different colours? But maybe an over paint that was wearing thin??

Hi again Chis

That's shadow. You can follow it forward to under the bridge. The line is at the deck level, above the deck the hull side is pretty much vertical. at the deck level there's a knuckle that becomes more pronounced as you move aft and the hull side tucks in under the deck - angle is quite pronounced at the transom.

There also appears to be some accumulation of dirt and possibly a bit of corrosion on the knuckle in the area you've marked and especially on the deck edge just aft of this, possibly from fenders whilst alongside.

• Like 1

A Fleet Order of March 1946 officially restored peacetime painting rules and paints:  so overall light grey 507C here (and no patterns).

I believe your apparent slight tonal variation there will be down to something like the shape of the hull  or even conceivably, the darker tone of the previous (wartime) paint scheme showing though too thin an application of the new paint in that area. 

• Like 1

That is fantastic guys, thank you very very much. That’s all I need to crack on with this build now - really looking forward to my 2nd venture into Maritime (3rd if you include the Titanic several years ago!) 

really appreciate the responses, that is exactly what I needed! 

Chris