SMER Breguet 693 vs Azur Breguet 695 - Finished

Richard Tucker

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Richard,

Nice builds.

The planes in the background are presumably capured French ones and I am thinking the high wing with parallel bracing, the tail, the open engine on a conical mounting and the slightly ridged fuselage suggest something from the Wibault 7 family - the tail suggests perhaps Wibault 74, which was a 1930's fighter, though I think that particular model was also used by the French Navy which might explain the apparently uniform colour on the fuselage - a sort of blue/grey I believe, with the tricolour fin flash overpainted? Probably totally wrong as they are also very like the MS 230 but I get the impression they are slightly longer. I have a nagging recollection that Heller may have produced a Wibault though it is not in my 1980 catalogue,

Pete

They certainly have longer and squarer fuselages than the MS230 in front. The tail appears to be curved at the top.

• Like 1

Hi Richard.

The Wibault 7 series  early models up to the 72 had very angular tails, but some of the few pics I have managed to find of the 74 version seem to have had a tail very much like the ones in your pic - other examples retain the angular tail . Unfortunately I do not have much info on French fighters in the 1930's but it looks like it might have been withdrawn from front line service in around 1933 so I am probably wrong. One of our French colleagues would probably have a better idea.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...