"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Can you move down the front a bit please Johnny, I wouldnt want you to miss the scenic pleasures of Broad Street in the nineteen noughties.

Ok sat at the front, up top, pretending to drive. 🤣

The generosity of our community never fails to impress me. Nice one Tony. 🙌 Those rims look spot on. 👌

Johnny

• Like 1

Bill is right Giorgio, you won't regret it if you get a mini lathe. Mrs T bought me a very small one some years ago, and it has been fantastic. The only real issue, like all such things in life is that it leads one to crave for a bigger one....! 

Superb work on those wheels Bill.

Terry

• Thanks 2

Crikey Bill, brave lathing there!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I bet Ced has dozens...

Yes I have one, only one! :D 

Giorgio I can recommend them too. They're not too expensive and very useful for, er, rounding things.

Have a search for 'Bead lathe' and you should find them for under €30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Thank you mate.

You are more than welcome to them. I've had the girl figure for decades awaiting your plea. The Male is 1/32nd, more recent, and from a Helicopter model.

It will be fun to see what you do with them. Nice wheels, and now I'm off to see what bead lathe bargains can be found!

• Haha 4

Both far more than welcome Pete, they will be dressed by Mme LuMcLu Theatrical costumier of Hurst Street in such costumery she declares to be de rigeur for a lady and gent in early twentieth century Brummagem.

It is on the cards that they may get resin-cloned too in anticipation of finding a full bus load.

• Like 4

I will get round to the underframe soon but as it was almost wintry instead of icicle blasting I repaired to the freezer to see if the hub blocks would fit a drill chuck with a reasonable chance of accurate centralising.

I couldnt but the Slater's barrels needed drilling through the centre one way or another.

I used another...

16096853243638265151023339779936.jpg

Near enough centred for a start but more needs doing.

16096854625522026350859452931242.jpg

Turning the holes in was done by trapping the hub/barrel inside the collet gripper on my Minidrill.

Then fitting the collet into the tip of the drillshaft.

1609685544065613568025497586064.jpg

And giving the whole b issue a spin, introducing my drill vice onto the flattened surface exposed inside.

1609685714986705033227319964662.jpg

The obvious drawback to mass production can bee seen, drilling soft plastic such as Slater's results in molten plastic on the drill unless you are very cautious that then needs chipping away off the drill bit.  :(

With the hubs prepared to be spoked I made up a simple jig which will allow the required 7º angle from hub to rim,

Start with one of my last jewel case CD/DVD cases and mark the rim position and then drill out a centre post spot to allow the hub to go in out of the cold fit lower than centre to allow the off centre eccentricity to occur.

The right position for the rim is then set on the plastic which will stop any wobbling wheels :)

I used four pieces of plastic off cuts to make the location go live.

16096897062534842467816923353104.jpg

The spokes will be added next, after I Click'n'collect some more stocks of evergreen square 60 thou from a co-operative Modelling Supplies Supplier.

I hope, I also need more Tamiya X-1 and 2 before progress can be expected.

A little more bus building has happened whilst I wasnt watching, I'm sure the piskies are getting involved.

16096900135083697798939617799111.jpg

The front arch is next then the innards can be fabricated.

And the roof.

160969026908432790547300370989.jpg

And the stairs...

Nuff for now?

• Like 12

Fantastic work on those hubs Bill. Using a Drill (or for that matter a micro lathe) on plastic like slaters is definitely a challenge when it comes to speed and melting points! The rpm on my mini lathe as its just way too fast for most plastics when run for more than a few seconds. Reduction gears and/or a variable speed motor is a must I reckon. Thinking hat on.

Loving this thread!

Terry

I find this does the job most times Terry, a Uniross convertible transformer which varies voltage and polarity so I can even turn the bits backwards if it suits the job.

P1010408.jpg

Yesterday's job was done using the high speed but that was simply because I couldn't be bothered to run it at 7.5v or 6v.

Both give much slower rotation speeds.

I know using 'chocolate blocks' is infra-dig but there will come a time when I need to use a different transformer and I simply couldn't be bothered

Defines my mindset recently really 'couldn't be bothered' I wonder if it is a product of retirement or more deep seated?

Would explain why my idle mind doesn't 'do' sums for instance and why I never did become a pilot, simply slumming around during the fertile mind years of my youth.*

Oh well time to make my Click'n'collect shopping list...

*too much time on my hands because

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I find this does the job most times Terry, a Uniross convertible transformer which varies voltage and polarity so I can even turn the bits backwards if it suits the job.

Yes I've been looking at something like that. I think you have persuaded me to get one!

Terry

Nice work Bill.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Defines my mindset recently really 'couldn't be bothered' I wonder if it is a product of retirement or more deep seated?

Same here so I vote for retirement… has to be some downsides! :D 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

That's quick service - check you're not getting one of their  cast-offs!

It probably won't be a problem Dave, I intend bell tapping the length of it to check for duff spots in the casting.

They're good lads at the foundry, never let me down yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1