"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

Superb work, nay craftsmanship, Bill. This splendid piece is coming together beautifully.

And is that looks very like an S-61 sponson I can see in that first picture, but perhaps not?

Terry

• Thanks 1

Fine observation there Terry, it is indeed the one I used as a casting buck that was used to vacform my ones for the model.

I needed it to prop up one of the undercarriage items for glue setting.

(Didn't work). 😵😡😤🤭😃

• Like 2

Still waiting for a mojo fix for the fourth wheel but for now I had a play with my recent purchase of self adhesive lead sheet.

The draw bar has several strengthener/stiffeners of wrought iron added in places and a fore end device that holds loops for the horses to be chained into harness

The lead sheet was cut into a narrow strip and trimmed to fit, with added folds and drilled holes

16210037230675096408673527484694.jpg

This slots in between the ferrotuckytock things with a drop pin to hold it all together

16210040098203881757955326735904.jpg

I feel we are getting some place again

This is the lead sheet, from a fisherfolk suppliers on the interwebbebay place

1621004125960548423500572843588.jpg

Very fast response to the call too, thanked them, advising you.

• Like 11

I say chaps, you wouldn't happen to have seen a pair of semicurved rear springs pop up on the debris round your work places would you?

I had  them here yesterday whilst measuring up the complicated cross sectional spring hangers that join the fore-aft springs to the cross axis-ed spring mounted below the cabin floor.

Here just to the right of my cutting pad yesterday, today gone away somewhere into K-space where the kits hide before we finish them which is why I asked.

Maybe popped up in your K-space instead of mine...

For months I have been pondering how to make the underseat mounted fore brackets for these springs and this morning it has hit me between the eyes.

I have to go now, show you later what has revealed itself whilst hiding the springs...

ciao

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

You don't happen to have a BMW Z1 front valance, painted in metallic blue lurking on your bench. Mine disappeared into the K-space...

:)

Cheers,

Alan.

• Sad 1

This is one of the missing links mentioned above

P1010292.jpg

As shown the spring sits inside a bracket bolted underneath the passenger's seats in a wrought iron bracket that holds the spring to the body.

Comes to the box of pieces this morning ready to forge a new bracket.

OK missing, press on and come back to it later.

Oh well the idea is take this length of rectangular extruded tube and use it to forge the body bracket

P1010114.jpg

The piece of rectangular polycard on the right is the same dimension as the springs and slots tidyly into the hole to prove it.

The slot I am working with

P1010115.jpg

Blurry, but...

P1010116.jpg

I need a matched pair of lugs that the spring can be bolted to, this is it.

And of course the missing springs just plain happened to be  there in the said box

P1010118.jpg

Excuse me, I have work to do and the pub is open this evening.

Says a man who  just had a pair of pints of Danish Dynamite, just as a taster.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Says a man who  just had a pair of pints of Danish Dynamite, just as a taster.

To celebrate for the springs re-appearing, that sounds about right. 

:D

Ciao

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, giemme said:

To celebrate for the springs re-appearing, that sounds about right. 

:D

Ciao

To be fair Giorgio, I found them after my beer.

Should have had a couple on arising this morning it seems...

:(

ciao

• Haha 4

Is everyone OK?

I just realised I havent asked for a long time and some friends have been having it a lot nastier than me.

Hope you are well or at least better.

This collection of disparate bits has been getting some attention for a few days once I had realised how I needed to portray the underwear, the rear suspension layout needing a lot of thinking about on the way.

The rear springs (three of them, yes!) have to be joined to each other and the chassis by U shackles.

Proper unusual to a motor mechanic, but...

P1010132.jpg

This is my first run to check sizes and angles.

P1010134.jpg

Some of the U shackles/brackets are in 'finished' state but there is still much work to do there.

This looks like time to try something new.

P1010135.jpg

How does this look?

P1010136.jpg

First shot of a possible ending up the hill a bit.

Let's turn it upside down and see what happens there.

P1010138.jpg

P1010143.jpg

Gives us a fair idea what is needed

A bit more fun whilst I await the front springs final fettling.

Rear axle in place much extra fettling due under there, u bolt plates and u bolts for a start.

P1010145.jpg

Nowhere near actually getting assembled but I am happy that this all looks compatible, phew.

Now for more body work at last.

• Like 16

Wow, great stuff Bill, but I need to see this on a bigger screen, so I'll be back later :) All good around here, anyway :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Like 1

Excellent fettling Bill - those shackles are amazing :) 

Good here thanks for asking - how are you doing now the pubs are open again?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CedB said:

Excellent fettling Bill - those shackles are amazing :) 

Good here thanks for asking - how are you doing now the pubs are open again?

Happy to have been able to re-indulge at last, thanks Ced.

Actually drinking bitter indoors instead of the ok outdoors Bavarian lagers I have been working with.

Have to confess I am more than a little bit pleased with the shackles, from waking up unsure how to 'get it on' to having the full blown plan bite me in the nose in a single short session was rather enjoyable.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Have to confess I am more than a little bit pleased with the shackles, from waking up unsure how to 'get it on' to having the full blown plan bite me in the nose in a single short session was rather enjoyable.

Quite right Bill - very enjoyable… don't you just love it when a plan comes together :D 

• Haha 2

Bolt heads in place ready for a later stage in production at last. I believe it is possible that I do not have the slightest idea of what you wot Ian.

Possible...

Anyone today I have been mostly rivetting, or more likely coach bolting

The underside front brackets for the springs need a means of fastening to the chassis, with no doubt, coach bolts.

No there is not a chance in hell of me actually coach bolting the underpinnings to the frame, let's pretend instead shall we?

P1010148.jpg

And  the cross spring has been located on the bus body ready for the fastenings to be added.

This location will decide where the forward spring mounts get added to bring it altogether.

P1010150.jpg

None of that will happen until the bus's body is in a finished state, which no-one could claim yet huh?

P1010151.jpg

Not sure of its proper name but from here the spring mounting bolts and plates will be attached to the floor, then coach tidying and painting will take place.

That'll be tomorrow, ciao chapeses.

• Like 10

That is very simple Giorgio, a pointy cocktail stick and a blob of Formula 360 just touched on  the bolt/rivet head position makes lovely rivets or bolts.

Just put a pencil mark where you want a bolt head and touch a drop of glue to the surface, if the first drop was too small add more glue for emphasis..

I will not be rivetting aircraft with the method but here it was ideal.

Any rivets you dont like can be scraped off when dry by judicial use of a fingernail, then redo from start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3