"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

This was always going to be awkward.

We've all (probably) seen horses out and about so we know what colour they should be don't we?

Hmm I am certain I don't, but I will have a knock at it.

I suppose.

Take four horses (why does that bring "Going down to London town, see  the people there..." to mind) and prepare to colour them.

Ah yes young Rula and Julie huh?

P1010193.jpg

Washout too much flash too close...

Sorry Ian, try again.

P1010194.jpg

Too dark not enough light... Doh.

OK paint on!

P1010195.jpg

Oh

Dapple doesnt seem very likely but I dont really want dull brown horses...

P1010199.jpg

I think he is telling me to try again, maybe try dappling with the Ultra...

We mun see.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, perdu said:

We've all (probably) seen horses out and about so we know what colour they should be don't we?

*Follyfoot music intensifies*

Bill: reckon this thread is now at the stage where you need a bookmaker bench-side to  take bets on which 'oss gets finished first. Put me down for fiver each way on 'Mystic Modeller'. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Hmm I am certain I don't, but I will have a knock at it.

I seem to remember your last bout of painting horses turned out rather wonderful Bill.  I've no doubt this will be just as enthralling.

My money's on the snowy white ones

yeah I know )I've posted this before but there's just something about the innocence and rawness of the bands playing that captivates me.  I saw them a couple of times supporting Altered Images - (way back when Altered Images were good - before they became all chintzy pop and no substance).

• Like 2

My well established fear of matters equinus has prompted me to tackle the next bogey build, the hand rails around the upper deck.

These are built upon a number of sculpted, curved iron uprights attached to the side panels and the inner roof of the lower deck cabin for stength and durability.

I fitted the side panels first to give me some data points before I sculpted the upright hand rail curved sections.

And as I added the hand rails from evergreen 0.040" x 0.060" strip broke out into a sweat because I found my pack of 40 x60 had only one strip left...

Would I have enough for the inevitable mistooks?

Phew.

1659383246811489152496635403900.jpg

And then the off-side rails added too.

16593837147886473945467780159652.jpg

Yes there is some paint on the hosses, just not yet right enough to display.

Next?

More hand rails.

• Like 10

On 7/30/2022 at 1:22 AM, hendie said:

yeah I know )I've posted this before but there's just something about the innocence and rawness of the bands playing that captivates me.  I saw them a couple of times supporting Altered Images - (way back when Altered Images were good - before they became all chintzy pop and no substance).

That track, and the mention of Altered Images, brought back some good memories!

Nice work on those rails Bill, and can't wait to see those hosses complete. 

Terry

• Like 2

Only tidying up to do on the handrails now, then they can be painted and the seats fitted.

P1010201.jpg

&

P1010202.jpg

Prior to fitting the seats the floor gets a preliminary dust coat, believe me it will get dirtier than this when there're a hundred or more footfalls every shift.

The steps are not on board yet,there will be enamel advertising placards on the front of each step, in this case Reckitt's Blue is the advert of choice.

This is a basic print to check for size, the actual decal is having its next coat of semi-gloss Tamiya varnish down in the garage.

Better images will follow, honest.

P1010205.jpg

The larger size letters have had the nod.

'viderci!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That track, and the mention of Altered Images, brought back some good memories!

glad to have been of service Terry.  I saw Images a couple of times just around the time they got their recording contract and they were a much different band from the one that ended up on TOTP - this was when they wre still being mentored by Siouxsie et Co. Their John Peel sessions are works of art and still stir so many memories for me.

Bill those last two updates are fantastic. Excellent work on those handrails and they are really bringing that top deck into life.

• Like 2

Wheel striping next, my hand is no longer adequate for the job.

P1010188.jpg

And I have had many, many attempts at the artform so I wonder if I can produce stripes mechanically?

A couple of spare plastic sheet portions double drilled in line at five places, a few little bracing bearings, a hole for a tube to carry the paintbrush.

And a bucket load of trepidation...

Theories to prove, axioms to demolish

16595122906772322236085985540207.jpg

Yes the wheel goes in there with the brush tube centred on the larger wheels.

16595123217868708233303685119823.jpg

I mun wait 'til this arfternoon before I test the concept, this morning's modelling sesh has been occupied hacking this idea about.

Oh the handrails, prey to my OCD again.

OUCH!

16595139558291026184516962885371.jpg

The 'top of the stairs' floor has to go too.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

A natty solution there, Bill. Personally, I’d want the wheel to rotate under the brush, like an LP under the stylus - but perhaps you’re already heading in that direction.

Agree with Heather, a very neat solution, although I would also consider some sort of very fine felt tip liner, or even a rotring type lining pen. They would sit quite firmly in the correctly sized tube?

Terry

• Like 2

Heather the uprights haveloose rotating sleeves to direct the wheel on its course.

I am wondering if I am able to drive the axle to rotate the rims, maybe the tape drive can do it.

Terry I am kinda restricted by the very dark blue on the chassis, trust me me I haven't found the right colour on pens or watercolour pencils 

• Like 3

In Bill's Play Room the Kublai Khan a mighty fun day did declare.

"Here Bill have a bit of a laugh mate"

So I did, first off I got fed up with the over-flexibilty of the stair uprights' decals but having gotten some of them in place I decided to have a bit of fun deciding where the people would be sitting, generally.

Here mostly I think but final placement depends on the seats fitting in nice and tidy see.

P1010006.jpg

All aboard, room inside

P1010005.jpg

Still room on top if you like

P1010009.jpg

Nosy girl really is trying to read the paper which Berkow senior is trying to hide from her predatory gaze

P1010008.jpg

Speaking of a predatory gaze is Stage Door Johnny pondering her or the bird in the second seat along from the back reading a book?

Not sure me, any thoughts folks?

P1010009.jpg

Obviously a lot more to do but if we CAN play, I believe we should.

It will be 'back in the box' for the seats and the passengers can go back on their sticks, even if they don't like it up 'em.

The wheels are now on so I can mount the brake blocks and make up the wire rods to control them.

Hand rails for the stairs and platform, an extra step to get up onto the platform will almost complete the bus.

Then comes the equine contingent...

Maybe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• Like 14

Ah.

Er no...

Due to rotational deviation on the jig I found that technically I needed to add restraints to the static turning jig before I could get the job done.

Basically it wobbled about all over the shop because the hub and spokes were glued where they fitted with a certain amount of wobble unavoidable.

I did what I ought to have done a few weeks ago, stuck them onto the tape transport jig rig and went very carefully.

If you promise not to tell I won't make any new wheels for it, I couldn't see how to build a hub and oval sectioned spokes in Fusion.

Wagon wheels have conical structures in which the lowest spoke is supposed to be vertical to the axis of the load whilst the rest of the hub conforms with camber angles and caster during turns.

Way too complex for my mind to cope with but hey we have wheels finished now.

Sorted.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Wagon wheels have conical structures in which the lowest spoke is supposed to be vertical to the axis of the load whilst the rest of the hub conforms with camber angles and caster during turns.

There is at least one Youtube channel from an old school American wheelwright which is fascinating and very difficult (for me) to understand the geometry. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name.

• Like 1

Looking splendid Bill! I'm going to have to rethink commuting to work on my velocipede, as I do struggle to read the paper. This is obviously the future!

Talking of the future, look at this. A horseless carriage, on rails! What sort of dark magic is this?

52254527562_192c906630_z.jpg

The Spitfire Makers Supermarine Tour by Mike, on Flickr

(Visited my local, Solent Sky, and much impressed by some of the new displays, including this street scene of Southampton.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1