"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

I was trundling around the internet and found some colours for you. Picture from the ramp. You know which one. 😉

51543621966_2fe463006f_b.jpg

Not sure who took the pic but if I must I’ll take it down. I’m sure they won’t mind though. 🥸

Jont.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Tis coming along nicely Bill. Yes I have been gone awhile but venturing back now. Saw this at the Moseley Exchange and thought of you. Note they ran to the Fighting Cocks "very frequently throughout the day". Obviously much demand for a service to said watering hole 😉

Moseley-Bus.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Systems are go here again.

Time to ring the bell, ting ting.

I have returned from Rotary Wing Place to Stephenson Place, the bus is en route again.

Upper seats are on as are the windows.

The side panels with their advertising hoardings are in production

And the stairs are still giving me the heebiejeebies

P1010060-2.jpg

• Like 10

I don't think I can put the upper deck on until I populate the downstairs area so a search for people is on, mostly OK for static horses but any more I find will be a bonus.

I will begin making the stairs soon too, measuring is on.

Eight steps up!*

*I understand VW inspired EU CE regulations now require a ! on the word up!

• Like 2

A fruitful, if b***** expensive search (well it is nearly Christmas innit?) for passengers results in some pax and a couple of crewmen

16383674925893171365112791885199.jpg

Yes there are a few downstairs too.

16383675433215583834894882547777.jpg

Sorry Ian, I was in a rush to get images done...

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit worried about the bloke at the back, he is about to lose his bowler.

And the rest of his head, my conductor needs a suitable bowler, guess who would have had one?

Anyway after a slight hiatus for Festivities as we had a decent day today here in the Midlands I gave the bus an exploratory coat of very very dark blue as would be the spec' for a Brummy Bus.

The rest of the scheme will build from this and of course so will the staircase too, can't have the passengers scrambling with ropes and crampons to get to the top deck for a fag after all.

P1010186.jpg

Vallejo 71.300 Glossy Sea Blue it says

Not quite as dark as we Brummies remember but as a dark blue to play with for now it'll do.

P1010190.jpg

More to do next year, have a stonking Hogmanay

P1010191.jpg

H N Y

• Like 13

That is looking rather nice Bill!

I have no idea what colours brummie buzzes were, so can't comment there, but still looks good. Wouldn't want to be up top after a few beers though!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Ian

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hendie said:

great photos Bill - I love that second shot with the light refraction on the glass. It's about time this one saw some more action

Agreed on all accounts! :worthy:  :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I realise it has been a while but stuff is still happening, usually after a paint disaster on this.

Trying out a notional font for the bus, how does this look to you?

P1010063.jpg

P1010064.jpg

An attempt to get near here

P1010065.jpg

I simply cannot find a better representation of the font yet but I might just go with this, because.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I simply cannot find a better representation of the font yet but I might just go with this, because.

I don't see an alternative either (not in my set of fonts, anyway), unless you hand-paint it....

Ciao

• Like 1

I used to hand paint this kind of thing happily Giorgio but that was in a different world and my eyes were several centuries younger.

There are strange things occurring at the centres of the letters as if the serif has slipped into centre stage, so hand painting them might be on the cards.

Maybe even add some shadowing and countercolouring...

I love font finding and working.

Terry I think I have enough bits of horse to be going on with mate, a couple of Airfix Bengalis for example with nicely standing still poses and various other options.

• Like 4

Old signwritten fonts is a bit of a pet subject for me, and something that's really difficult to replicate in a computer font. I just knocked this up on my tea break, it's a little fancier. I used the photo on the Frith collection as reference.

https://www.francisfrith.com/birmingham/birmingham-horse-drawn-bus-new-street-1890_b100001v

51861679208_6690fbdf63.jpg

BCTCOLTD by Mike, on Flickr

Think I still need to add the ampersand ... 🤔

If you think you can work with it let me know, it's sort of my bread and butter work. We can muck around with the layout and colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike have you tapped into my old brain?

Because that exactly what I was hoping to find although it was a bit of a dead parrot/lost cause.

Do you have an idea for the ampersand too?

The colours look perfect too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mike have you tapped into my old brain?

Because that exactly what I was hoping to find although it was a bit of a dead parrot/lost cause.

Do you have an idea for the ampersand too?

The colours look perfect too.

I just googled 'victorian font' and found a basic one I could make a vector and play around with quickly. No Ampersand though! But that's not a problem at all. Having a look at the Carters Steam Fair website or instagram page will be usefull too. (Although steam preservation societies probably more suitable) It's usually quite a busy font from the examples I've clocked on my travels, we need to strip that back quite a lot I think as it will be lost scaled down?
I'll ping you over a .pdf when I'm done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1