"Five Ways? Room on top!" A Brummagem horse drawn buzz in 1/32nd scale

perdu

Lovely seat Bill. I think you deserve a sit down after all that hard work. PS yes the paint does look the correct hue. As I remarked earlier it was always the blackish side of midnight blue, almost black.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, bootneck said:

I spent much of my youff up there watching the regeneration being done c1957-1960.  I was sorry to see the old market go, the one with the large Roman style pillars out front, located where the new Bull Ring ramp was built.

I am currently building a model of Elmdon Airport and, as you are talking buses, I have been trying to find plans of the one on the right in this image.

spacer.png

I believe this bus in now in a museum somewhere in the midlands.Mike

You could try this site https://www.terrybloisbusdrawings.co.uk for starters.

The bus is a  Leyland Olympic  one of a batch of five purchased  in 1951.

fleet no's 2261-2265. registration No's JOJ261-265,    Leyland Olympic HR40,  Chassis No's 496356/52/57/54/55,  and fitted with a Weymann B36F (Thats  means Bus 36 seat Front entrance by the way) Bus Body. good shot here scroll down the page. and here .

Selwyn

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 3:36 PM, perdu said:
Reunions anywhere, let alone in Winchester (I like Winchester) are stillsome way off for Gwyn but I dont think it will be too long now...

I hope.

Anyway, mind yer ears.

Calling all Brummies, and anyone with bus colour charts to hand, how does this look for hue?

P1010152.jpg

Daylight, north facing window to right and centre

P1010153.jpg

Flash applied

P1010154.jpg

Whilst I await info on the fore axle underpinnings (actually attempting interpretation of the drawings which dont quite apply themselves underneath there) I have been preparing for the interior painting and attempting the BCT Blue colour mix.

Very dark and dusty like the real thing I suspect.

This is a colour test only as the bodywork will be stripped before 'real BCT blue' is applied.

Try this?

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/paint/phoenix-precision-birmingham-city-blue

Selwyn

• Like 1

Sad to say Selwyn that blue is the lighter shade used by the WMPTE before they went in for a wholesale rebranding exercise

I know because I did buy it, and the cream.

Nice and right for Brum buses of a later period but maddeningly a base colour that starts at the wrong place to re-darken to the said blacky blue

This is the proper blue

P1010377.jpg

But this isn't

P1010069.jpg

As seen in the tin lid.

Thanks for looking in and helping, all contributions are very welcome.

I know the right colour is out there somewhere because most die-cast Birmingham bus models get it right, its just so hard to track it down for sale to the hobbyist.

Cheers.

• Like 6

Cracking bench Bill. Good luck with the search for the blue hue. Although I am a Brummie by birth (I actually live in the Black Country.) I can’t help with the shade. Those bus colours were few and fear between when I were a lad. I vaguely remember them but not clear enough to call out a shade. Looking grand though. 🙌

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Abandoning S-61Ns for a while I press on here, where it has become obvious that I need a better pair of twelve spoke wheels.

Considerations include [A] drawing the twelve spoker in fusion360 and asking a friend to run a test wheel for fun.

(A long way in the future as I cannot even save my drawings in a Fusion compatible format, or even yet draw the wheel in Fusion to ask/beg for a print run)

Or maybe I should knuckle down and do the scratch build right myself

I will try option (plan) B first.

I have been working the portions of suspension assembly with a file and sanding sticks and today I tried a first fit of the front end 'spension.

P1010254-2.jpg

Which is when the inadequacy of my smaller wheel construction first returned to its old stamping ground.

What was that old saw about the definition of lunacy is to keep repeating the mistakes of yesteryear hoping for a different result?

I dunno but I 'spect somebody profound first wrote it.

But at least it appears the basic geometry is sound if sizing and location will need a short visit one day.

A fine one I hope     

P1010255-2.jpg

Things to do, U bolts to add for example but for all that the 'mechanics' look good enough.                                              

• Like 9

15 hours ago, perdu said:

What was that old saw about the definition of lunacy is to keep repeating the mistakes of yesteryear hoping for a different result?

I dunno but I 'spect somebody profound first wrote it.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Generally attributed to Albert Einstein, but very likely he never said that (according to various articles I found on the 'net).

Anyway, the "mechanics" look way more than good to my eye :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Einstein huh?

Yup, he'd be profound enough methinks.

Thanks Giorgio,

Today I return, reluctantly to wheel-wrighting!

Wish me luck, I'm diving in...

👍

• Like 4

It just occurred to me Bill, and you may have searched this way already, but I googled on "3D printed Wagon wheels" and quite a lot came up. Then I did same in a search on Shapeways and got this:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=Wagon+wheels

It may take a little more search effort, but worth a try?

Otherwise, wheel-wright away!

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think at the moment?

16257558484958856539367691476641.jpg

First assembly with all four wheels and the steering end mostly done crappy phone image  :(

16257559059775154490655381913745.jpg

16257565726508199665360144402508.jpg

Bulk of the downstairs build over now, from now on it's up on the roof and much fettling down under to add to what we already have

16257566100487366881083134936371.jpg

When I have fitted  the windows and can mask it all it will be paint stage again

I love that scent of oil based enamel cream paint, heaven on a waft of air...

• Like 10

Thanks for the encouragement, short supply these days.

For giggles I fitted the draw bar too, does seem to be right.

16257599735055508316608958326199.jpg

Full on fettling ahead, but not tonight.

Tonight the Midget gets a ride in the dark

• Like 10

6 hours ago, perdu said:

16257599735055508316608958326199.jpg

Ahhhhh mate. That’s the bloody bee’s knees that is. Totally perfectly proportioned.  That’s made me double happy as I saw this on face book and thought of you.
Digbeth by the looks of it.

51300114380_628f5eabdc_b.jpg

Loving this build more and more every post. 🙌

Johnny.

• Like 2

Looks like the bus stop outside Digbeth coach station across the road from Milk St, with Gregory Pank the Ironmonger and by Smithfield's.

Nice picture Jonty mate, funny enough I saw that too on Faceache the other day.

And possibly an AEC behind all those lovely Arabs getting ready to climb the slope up to the Bull Ring, see the broader upper deck lower trim line.

Got to be an AEC.

Love an old Brummie bus, me.

Thanks Alan, clothes due in soon from the tailor/paint shop.

First the brakes.

Then the roof...

• Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 08:37, perdu said:

Looks like the bus stop outside Digbeth coach station across the road from Milk St, with Gregory Pank the Ironmonger and by Smithfield's

Yes indeed. I only worked in Digbeth for three years but it was a real pleasure. I’d been clubbing/drinking there in my youth so working at the Custard factory was amazing. I used Gregory Pank for all my hardware needs right up until the doors sadly shut for the last time. My “omni file” SIHRSC was from there so every time she comes out I get a memory pang.  I got a free wooden handle too. Such a sad loss now it’s gone. Keep the buzz memories flying kid. 💙🤍

• Like 2